5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
@Royalist_Ram, as others have stated above...be VERY CAREFUL putting down large amounts of money on a lease. You NEVER own the vehicle and, if you should you get in a bad accident, and the truck is totaled, YOU are OUT ALL OF YOUR MONEY and get ZERO back...the bank is the beneficiary. Most people either don't think of this or don't understand this. In addition, you are paying OVER factory invoice for this truck without your $3K rebate...BAD DEAL IMPO.

slatersan

Reaction score
@securityguy @Eldodroptop @Venom700 @Bigtone Thanks guys, yeah I was advised by my co-signee to put that much down, but I will reconsider for sure because that's what I was worried about. As far as invoice, yeah it still needs to be adjusted for this month and I for sure will not be paying over invoice. I didn't for my first 1500 either.
In no way, shape, or form should you put that equity into a lease. If you're gonna go swimming, might as well get wet. I.e...if you're going to reduce the cost of the vehicle by that much, buy the thing.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In no way, shape, or form should you put that equity into a lease. If you're gonna go swimming, might as well get wet. I.e...if you're going to reduce the cost of the vehicle by that much, buy the thing.
Yeah I figured I’d just use the trade to cover the whole part of the lease. I essentially was looking to “lease to buy.” Since leasing offers were better than straight up financing.

slatersan

Reaction score
Yeah I figured I’d just use the trade to cover the whole part of the lease. I essentially was looking to “lease to buy.” Since leasing offers were better than straight up financing.
I see what you're thinking, but if the truck gets totaled, the difference in what you put in vs what insurance paid goes poof. Additionally, if you're planning to buy the lease at the end, with that much of a down payment, just buy it now anyway. If you're planning to get out of the vehicle at lease end, there is literally 0 upside in putting money down ( other than lowering your payment, but with 38k in trade...make them cut a check...you can make the payments from that).

TLDR...don't put a dime down on a lease, take a check for 38k(or sell private party for more if it's there). Or, buy
the truck and put as much from the 38k down on it as you can/want.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see what you're thinking, but if the truck gets totaled, the difference in what you put in vs what insurance paid goes poof. Additionally, if you're planning to buy the lease at the end, with that much of a down payment, just buy it now anyway. If you're planning to get out of the vehicle at lease end, there is literally 0 upside in putting money down ( other than lowering your payment, but with 38k in trade...make them cut a check...you can make the payments from that).

TLDR...don't put a dime down on a lease, take a check for 38k(or sell private party for more if it's there). Or, buy
the truck and put as much from the 38k down on it as you can/want.
Yep I’ll definitely see about that, thank you so much for the advice. Insurance was a good point. Yeah purchasing was all fine with my previous Ram’s and I got a hell of a deal when I purchased new, a 1500 (over 20% off MSRP), but now that I’m looking to lease and it’s a factory order, I figure it’s a little more complicated. Thanks again.

ny2az

Reaction score
NEW 21' RAM CAME IN ... got the statement of charges ... so here it is ... again ... trading up from a 2020 4x2 Limited M.S.R.P. $64,880 to a 2021 4x4 Limited M.S.R.P $70,855 .. E.P. is $61,944 ... strong trade price of $52,000 ... rebates of $4,500 ... net difference is $6,133.72 ... based on the tax and doc fee paid.. l think this was a smoking deal ... not many drive a truck off the lot, let alone a full year and tradeup to a new vehicle for less than the difference of both msrp's ....

Attachments

• 2021 RAM DEAL.jpg
    2021 RAM DEAL.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 57

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
NEW 21' RAM CAME IN ... got the statement of charges ... so here it is ... again ... trading up from a 2020 4x2 Limited M.S.R.P. $64,880 to a 2021 4x4 Limited M.S.R.P $70,855 .. E.P. is $61,944 ... strong trade price of $52,000 ... rebates of $4,500 ... net difference is $6,133.72 ... based on the tax and doc fee paid.. l think this was a smoking deal ... not many drive a truck off the lot, let alone a full year and tradeup to a new vehicle for less than the difference of both msrp's ....
Your deal is very similar to mine...within $111 of my deal. My MSRP was $72,800 and I paid $59,500. However, my 2019 trade was at $48K which I was VERY happy with on a 2-year old truck. This is a great deal...congrats my friend!

Eldodroptop

Reaction score

That works out to about $511 per month. Damn strong deal if you are at 12 months of ownership.

Last edited:

Eldodroptop

Reaction score
You are assuming that it's a 12 month loan with zero interest?
That’s how I have to figure it. The key is the 12 months. Even with internet paid, it’s still a damn strong deal. If I could be guaranteed to flip into a top line new truck every year for sub $600 per month, sign me up.
And just to be clear, I am assuming for my numbers to work, a $30k loan at about 3.5% over 60 months on the 2020 trade. That would be about $80 or so per month in interest over the first year.

Last edited:

ny2az

Reaction score
l had 0% for 36months...
the key factor lm trying to get across... lm upgrading to a brand new 21' with an msrp of $6k more ... for $6k.... so my 2020 limited cost me $0 to drive for 12 months ... hope my logic is right...

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
l had 0% for 36months...
the key factor lm trying to get across... lm upgrading to a brand new 21' with an msrp of $6k more ... for $6k.... so my 2020 limited cost me $0 to drive for 12 months ... hope my logic is right...
It's all good...we all get your main point ;)

brettguercio

Reaction score
I called FCA incentives and they said you could use it with employee pricing. I don’t get why some dealers take and some don’t. The dealers must be on the hook for part of the factory incentives. I checked again yesterday for this month and they said you can use the pop up with the $500 plus 0% or the pop up with the $2000 this month too.
Whats the number you called ? I wonder if it’s to late btw 500 miles on the new truck and the check engine light is on :(

saylor

Reaction score
does anyone just buy a truck anymore, or am i the last guy on the planet? i saved up, i sold my used truck, I saved up some more, and I went and bought a truck. no lease, no finance. its just my truck.

broken_vet

Reaction score
does anyone just buy a truck anymore, or am i the last guy on the planet? i saved up, i sold my used truck, I saved up some more, and I went and bought a truck. no lease, no finance. its just my truck.
You're the last one, so you get a statue for being so awesome. The rest of us can only dream of reaching your level of awesome.

slatersan

Reaction score
Some of us have figured out that putting a large lump sum of cash into a depreciating asset isn't as good as financing at low to no interest and investing that same amount and making returns in excess of any finance charges, resulting in having a truck AND capital gains vs. just the truck.

It's a radical concept, but I think it might just catch on.

ddocrt

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm getting closer to becoming an official RAM owner! Started my research back in December, focusing on used 2019s, but changed my direction and trying to get into brand new at this point. I've been going back and forth with the internet manager at a dealership and looking at the following numbers:

MSRP: 52,095
Sales Price: 38,845
Freight: 1,695
Processing Fee: 500
Tax: 2360
T&T: 518
Total OTD: 43,918.70
They say for this price I have to do Chrysler Financing, but I have 800 credit score so hopefully will still get a good rate.

Since they include freight as a line item, would I be correct in calculating % of MSRP as 38,845+1,695 = 40,540. So 1-(40,450/52,095) = 22% off MSRP?

To me this seems like a good deal, but wanted to get your opinions. It's a 1500 Big Horn crew cab, 4x4, V8, 5'7" bed, night edition.

They came down on the price pretty quickly too, after saying the initial price was too high via email they came back with 5k off.

thanks,
Dan

It's official, now a RAM owner! Drove two hours yesterday down to Ourisman in Clarksville. Everything went well. Highly recommend working with Keiri Flores if you are in the market. Was a very transparent and easy transaction. Most of the initial discussions were done over email and one quick phone call.

Venom700

Reaction score
It's official, now a RAM owner! Drove two hours yesterday down to Ourisman in Clarksville. Everything went well. Highly recommend working with Keiri Flores if you are in the market. Was a very transparent and easy transaction. Most of the initial discussions were done over email and one quick phone call.
What % off MSRP did you get? I wasn’t impressed with local dealers when I ended up getting mine through Mark Dodge.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some of us have figured out that putting a large lump sum of cash into a depreciating asset isn't as good as financing at low to no interest and investing that same amount and making returns in excess of any finance charges, resulting in having a truck AND capital gains vs. just the truck.

It's a radical concept, but I think it might just catch on.
Yeah even though we did have enough cash for the total cost of my previous truck, financing usually holds more benefits like you mentioned, plus you always have the ability to pay it off early and can take advantage of those low interest rates, and whatever deals that apply to financing vs cash only. This guy here just told me that I was $18k in debt. I was not aware of that until now, thank you Kanye, very cool.

Users who are viewing this thread