5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Scooter29

Reaction score
I been looking at a Laramie and i have a Bighorn t went for a little over 46k the i put down around 12 trade included. my truck has a New bed liner, running boards and just under 4k miles and the dealer offer me 32 k
what is a fair offer on a 2020 Bighorn equipment group one.
In the Seattle area I’m getting offers about 36k average and as low as 32-34k. I paid 45k OTD and Mine is a 2020 Bighorn level one with 1300miles with an MSRP of 50k. I think the big discounts on 2020s are hurting the values. It’s keeping me from ordering a Built to Serve as I’m not looking to lose out on that much money.

kp_ram2019

Reaction score
Just go to Ram's website. I went yesterday and got a popup on the screen that let me sign up for one and immediately got a $1500 bonus cash email sent to me.
Does anyone know if this is on top of the $1500 conquest rebate for a total of $3000? or is it one or the other?

HAL9001

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 2021 RAM 1500 so I've been following this thread with great interest. I've even compiled a detailed spreadsheet of many of the deals reported here. It shows that for the 2021's people have been getting anywhere from around 10% to 18%+ off MSRP before any incentives. The average seems to be around 14%. These are great deals and very encouraging. So as an informed buyer, I took this info and went off looking to get something similar at my local RAM dealers.

Well, I've been having no luck at all other than pissing them all off. From the experiences I'm having, this thread reads like pure fiction. The best I could get was around 7.8% off of MSRP before incentives.

Here's I best deal I got from several local dealers:
MSRP: $61,850
Dealer Discount: $4,825
Sub-Total: $57,025 (7.8% off of MSRP and the invoice price)
Incentives: $2,000
Total: $55,025

This pales in comparison to the deals you guys report. When I bring this up with the dealers, they tell me that the prices listed here are impossible and that people here may be exaggerating or lying (their words, not mine). They tell me they can't do better than invoice (which is about 7.8% off MSRP). They say, convincingly, that all they'll make on the sale is the manufacturer holdback which is about $1400, which they say is a fair profit for them. Then they effectively tell me to get lost if I want the prices you guys get because they outright refuse to sell me a truck at anything below invoice. They don't appear to be lying, some were quite passionate about being open and honest and they all told the same story. So, this is been very confusing.

Well obviously, I certainly don't think anyone here is making this stuff up. So, the big question is how on earth are you getting these amazing prices? It seems as if your dealers are selling you these trucks at a considerable loss. If they truly paid the invoice price and the manufacturer hold back is truly only $1400, then how can they possibly sell you these trucks at prices thousands of dollars below that, as have been commonly reported here? There has to be an explanation.

I need to reconcile what my dealers are telling with what's being reported here before I can purchase a truck. I need to know if they're telling me the truth or lying to make more money. If what the dealers say and what's being reported here are both true, then I need to know how it can be possible for so many of you to get these seemingly impossible deals. What information am I missing?

I would appreciate any insight here, especially from anyone who knows the dealership business first hand or knows reasonably well what's going on.

kp_ram2019

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a 2021 RAM 1500 so I've been following this thread with great interest. I've even compiled a detailed spreadsheet of many of the deals reported here. It shows that for the 2021's people have been getting anywhere from around 10% to 18%+ off MSRP before any incentives. The average seems to be around 14%. These are great deals and very encouraging. So as an informed buyer, I took this info and went off looking to get something similar at my local RAM dealers.

Well, I've been having no luck at all other than pissing them all off. From the experiences I'm having, this thread reads like pure fiction. The best I could get was around 7.8% off of MSRP before incentives.

This pales in comparison to the deals you guys report. When I bring this up with the dealers, they tell me that the prices listed here are impossible and that people here may be exaggerating or lying (their words, not mine). They tell me they can't do better than invoice (which is about 7.8% off MSRP). They say, convincingly, that all they'll make on the sale is the manufacturer holdback which is about $1400, which they say is a fair profit for them. Then they effectively tell me to get lost if I want the prices you guys get because they outright refuse to sell me a truck at anything below invoice. They don't appear to be lying, some were quite passionate about being open and honest and they all told the same story. So, this is been very confusing.

Well obviously, I certainly don't think anyone here is making this stuff up. So, the big question is how on earth are you getting these amazing prices? It seems as if your dealers are selling you these trucks at a considerable loss. If they truly paid the invoice price and the manufacturer hold back is truly only $1400, then how can they possibly sell you these trucks at prices thousands of dollars below that, as have been commonly reported here? There has to be an explanation.

I need to reconcile what my dealers are telling with what's being reported here before I can purchase a truck. I need to know if they're telling me the truth or lying to make more money. If what the dealers say and what's being reported here are both true, then I need to know how it can be possible for so many of you to get these seemingly impossible deals. What information am I missing?

I would appreciate any insight here, especially from anyone who knows the dealership business first hand or knows reasonably well what's going on.
You have to remember the number deals being reported here are only handful compared to the number of vehicles sold. Dealerships are in the business of making money and they make their money. Dealerships are under no obligation to honor a prices you see on forums and talking about prices on forums only seems to make them more hesitant. You have to be patient and be willing to walk away without confrontation so they call you again to see if there is something they can do.
next thing there are very few 2020 models left the way people want to spec out their vehicle. So they will be more willing to sell you 2020 then work with you on a 2021 on lot or build a 2021 for you. Also don’t forget not everyone reports their deal or the pain they went through trying to work out a deal with their dealer. So be patient, be willing to wait, be willing to walk away, and be willing to look around or outside of your area as well!!

Troutbeck27

Reaction score
In the Seattle area I’m getting offers about 36k average and as low as 32-34k. I paid 45k OTD and Mine is a 2020 Bighorn level one with 1300miles with an MSRP of 50k. I think the big discounts on 2020s are hurting the values. It’s keeping me from ordering a Built to Serve as I’m not looking to lose out on that much money.
Good luck on the Built to Serve. Every dealership I have talked to in Oregon has said no go on custom, factory ordered BTS.

Scooter29

Reaction score
Good luck on the Built to Serve. Every dealership I have talked to in Oregon has said no go on custom, factory ordered BTS.
I’ve got 2 dealers that will put the order in but one actually spoke to their rep and got me an actual time of January to order the Coast Guard edition as they aren’t building them yet. My problem is the low trade in values.

iLikeTurtles

Reaction score
I would have went with a custom built to serve and took a 2k loss on my trade.

I wanted a built to serve with bucket seats, 12" screen and pano roof. Would have saved over 5k from a laramie.

Paultg

Reaction score

If the dealers you are visiting actually pay “invoice” and only make “holdback” then I suggest you travel more distance to a higher volume dealer. The dealers that are on here and sponsor the forum offer no haggle pricing that is better than what you describe, and you can order exactly what you desire.

- Criswell in MD
- Koons in Virginia
There are others mentioned in here too

I purchased from Carl at Criswell back in August, order placed in June. I don’t think I’ll ever spend my time trying to get a deal from dealers. I’ll just search and find a dealer that does it without BS, and travel to said dealer.

Troutbeck27

Reaction score
I would have went with a custom built to serve and took a 2k loss on my trade.

I wanted a built to serve with bucket seats, 12" screen and pano roof. Would have saved over 5k from a laramie.
I am in the same boat. I don’t have a trade-in but would like a factory ordered BTS.

Silent Bob

Reaction score

Anyone and everyone can get 1% below invoice with Tread Lightly. That is your starting point for negotiation. My current lowest offer before rebates and incentives is 4.6% below invoice. I have sent that to the other dealers to see if they want to beat it.

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score

To be honest, it can be a hard process. I shopped over 20 dealers and very few were even willing to hit invoice price. What made my search even harder was wanting an in stock 2020 fully loaded vehicle (every option) to take advantage of larger discounts. Name of the game is to only try and work with the largest volume dealers and be willing to travel. Also, if possible shop at month end when they are motivated to hit sales targets. If a salesman at a particular dealership isn’t helping, drop them and find a new one who is willing to put the work in (I was onto my 3rd at the same dealership until I found the right one). You can get your truck serviced by any local dealer should you need to. Lastly, I think your math is off, most here have had deals from 14-18% off after rebates not before.

Kurtislowe68

Reaction score

I don’t know where you live, but I guarantee that you will get what it says on the internet price if you shop at Mark dodge in Lake Charles, La. they are the #1 volume dealer in La and they beat anyone in the tri-state area of La, Ms, and Tx. If you need anything just pm me and we can exchange phone numbers. I will help point you in the right direction!

Fishwiz

Reaction score
I think there are other ways for dealers to make money: volume kickbacks, financing kickbacks, lease initiation kickbacks, etc.

If they sell enough vehicles to hit these types of targets there are sizeable checks available for the dealership. If this is their strategy, they take some risk by selling some vehicles at very low profit (maybe even a loss) on that specific vehicle in order to chase those incentives/kickbacks.

There are other benefits to selling high volume that can pad their bottom line... More foot traffic in the dealership leads to accessories and parts sales, more customers equals more service (for local sales at least), and I'm sure there's other benefits that I'm not aware of.

There are multiple dealer strategies far beyond simply selling a vehicle for the highest margin possible. Gotta find the dealer that has a strategy that fits your goal.

Like most things in life... Nothing is simple.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HAL9001

Reaction score
If the dealers you are visiting actually pay “invoice” and only make “holdback” then I suggest you travel more distance to a higher volume dealer. The dealers that are on here and sponsor the forum offer no haggle pricing that is better than what you describe, and you can order exactly what you desire.

- Criswell in MD
- Koons in Virginia
There are others mentioned in here too

I purchased from Carl at Criswell back in August, order placed in June. I don’t think I’ll ever spend my time trying to get a deal from dealers. I’ll just search and find a dealer that does it without BS, and travel to said dealer.

I don’t know where you live, but I guarantee that you will get what it says on the internet price if you shop at Mark dodge in Lake Charles, La. they are the #1 volume dealer in La and they beat anyone in the tri-state area of La, Ms, and Tx. If you need anything just pm me and we can exchange phone numbers. I will help point you in the right direction!
Do any of you know if any of these high-volume dealers will take an internet or phone order and then ship the truck? I don't mind traveling by car for around 400 miles or so, but traveling any further by air right now is not so great due to Covid. I would then also have to quarantine for two weeks when I got back because of state mandates which I can't do due to my job. If only times were normal. If the prices are as good as being reported here, it would be worth the cost of freight which I figure would be around $800-$1000.

I live in New England. Does anyone know of a high-volume dealer in Maine, Northern NY, CT, VT, MA, or NH? All of these would be in driving distance.

Rocket

Reaction score
I was able to get a $1500 bonus from the Ram website, but am wondering if that stacks with the PenFed $1000 bonus. I have been reading the forum almost daily for months and have learned a tremendous amount from reading. Thanks to all who contribute here.

phil233

Reaction score
I was able to get a $1500 bonus from the Ram website, but am wondering if that stacks with the PenFed $1000 bonus. I have been reading the forum almost daily for months and have learned a tremendous amount from reading. Thanks to all who contribute here.

Good luck stacking the bonuses. I have 3 bonuses from Ram and one from True Car that added up to $3,500. I went to the dealer and they told me I could only use one bonus per car. The y took off $1,500. I spoke to another dealer who told me that all of my bonuses except the true car were included in the price of the car and that since I did not have l a lease in the house their internet price went up $500. Basically, the dealers can tell you whatever they want about the bonuses and you can do nothing about it.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good luck stacking the bonuses. I have 3 bonuses from Ram and one from True Car that added up to $3,500. I went to the dealer and they told me I could only use one bonus per car. The y took off $1,500. I spoke to another dealer who told me that all of my bonuses except the true car were included in the price of the car and that since I did not have l a lease in the house their internet price went up $500. Basically, the dealers can tell you whatever they want about the bonuses and you can do nothing about it.
It does say only one certificate can be redeemed by the customer in the disclaimer. I wouldn’t have expected to be able to use multiple bonus cash certificates. Have people done so?

AK103

Reaction score

Dude, I literally spent months trying to get a decent deal in South Florida. Even looked in NC and GA.
Spent months getting jerked around -
Finally got tired of it I decided to order a truck exactly how I wanted it.
I was initially going to go with Koons but found Lakeland thankfully. They're in Florida making the drive back way easier.

Lakeland does 7% off invoice.
That equated to roughly 14-15 off MSRP for me before incentives and rebates which will raise the discount even higher.

If you're in Florida consider ordering from Lakeland. If you're closer to North East try Criswell or Koons.

flyingpoint

Reaction score
2021 Limited ED MSRP $74635. With $2500 rebates (NAR + Ram bonus ) combined, looking at $64382 +TTL, 0% financing through FCA. Roughly 14% off MSRP for a factory order. I am pretty happy with the result.

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I sent emails to every dealership in a 100 mile radius of where I live asking for the best price on a truck with the spec I provided. Also told them there was a trade in so come at me with offers on that. I narrowed down about 4 dealerships. Worked with them individually, then used their prices against each other as leverage. Getting my trade in to 40k was the easy part, but getting the new truck price to as low as I did took a lot of effort and was not just offered to me off the bat.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread