5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a similar experience with Mac Haik. Got a lease quote via email, but when I tried to close it the price went up $200/month.

Ended up at 20% off MSRP with incentives from a dealer a bit outside of Houston on a '21 Laramie 4x4 with everything I wanted, with no addendum, $200 doc fee, and even better no shenanigans. I'm in AZ but really wanted a SW edition, and just finding a dealer who would even work with me was tough. Picking up on Friday, I can't wait!
Welcome to trying to work a deal with Mac Haik. They are the champions in the Houston area of bait and switch. Four years ago they were a decent dealership but then they got a group of guys in there who scam, lie, steal and try every dirty trick in the book to line their pockets. I've tried working two deals with them since then and they are a joke. Even worse, the service department looks like a top notch operation until you actually try to get something fixed and then they show their true colors...huge disappointment.

BoDarville

Reaction score
What was the issue that caused the increase?
What dealer did you end up using? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I honestly couldn't even get a straight answer on why. They acted like the first quote didn't even exist, or that I had somehow made it up. Told me that the dealer discount advertised doesn't always apply. Some of it was addendum too, which was like $2k for $200 worth of "protection" I don't need. I buy a lot of cars and used to work with dealers professionally, so I have a decent idea of how things are supposed to work, and my guess is right now with inventories low they just wait to deal with people they can take advantage of.

I'm getting mine from Mark in Lake Charles, LA. Assuming the delivery goes well (they're bringing it to Houston for me and meeting me at the airport), I would say I can't recommend them more. They actually honor the prices on their site, and super easy to deal with. Send me a DM if you'd like contact info.

emings

Reaction score
Welcome to trying to work a deal with Mac Haik. They are the champions in the Houston area of bait and switch. Four years ago they were a decent dealership but then they got a group of guys in there who scam, lie, steal and try every dirty trick in the book to line their pockets. I've tried working two deals with them since then and they are a joke. Even worse, the service department looks like a top notch operation until you actually try to get something fixed and then they show their true colors...huge disappointment.
That's the experience I had at Gillman Ram in Houston had agreed to a price OTD before I came into the dealership. When I got there the price had changed by several thousand dollars they said it was because of my trade in...I still got the overall discount I was looking for and the exact truck I wanted but my otd was several grand more than I had anticipated. My final straw with them was when I went to pick up my plates and registration and they refused to put it on for me (I've bought many cars over the years first time I've ever put on my own plates from a dealer I've bought from) I know it's a small thing but its the small experience that clues you in on the bigger picture.

ramtruck89

Reaction score
I honestly couldn't even get a straight answer on why. They acted like the first quote didn't even exist, or that I had somehow made it up. Told me that the dealer discount advertised doesn't always apply. Some of it was addendum too, which was like $2k for $200 worth of "protection" I don't need. I buy a lot of cars and used to work with dealers professionally, so I have a decent idea of how things are supposed to work, and my guess is right now with inventories low they just wait to deal with people they can take advantage of.

I'm getting mine from Mark in Lake Charles, LA. Assuming the delivery goes well (they're bringing it to Houston for me and meeting me at the airport), I would say I can't recommend them more. They actually honor the prices on their site, and super easy to deal with. Send me a DM if you'd like contact info.
So to this point you can recommend them? That is actually the dealer I am waiting on the quote from.

Some questions on the order process through them: Since you are not local to there were they fairly straight forward with paperwork and price that you would pay before incentives? Were you able to do all the ordering and everything through email and phone?

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's the experience I had at Gillman Ram in Houston had agreed to a price OTD before I came into the dealership. When I got there the price had changed by several thousand dollars they said it was because of my trade in...I still got the overall discount I was looking for and the exact truck I wanted but my otd was several grand more than I had anticipated. My final straw with them was when I went to pick up my plates and registration and they refused to put it on for me (I've bought many cars over the years first time I've ever put on my own plates from a dealer I've bought from) I know it's a small thing but its the small experience that clues you in on the bigger picture.
Interesting as my family has purchased five vehicles from Gillman CJDR through the years and never had a problem. They do try to play their games like any dealer but since I’ve started doing deals online with them, I have never been jerked around. Price is agreed before we went in and there was zero bait/switch.

BoDarville

Reaction score
So to this point you can recommend them? That is actually the dealer I am waiting on the quote from.

Some questions on the order process through them: Since you are not local to there were they fairly straight forward with paperwork and price that you would pay before incentives? Were you able to do all the ordering and everything through email and phone?
Definitely recommend. Did a Zoom call first to go over everything. We did all the paperwork via Docusign, and everything in the docs was the same as we discussed. Took maybe 10 minutes. I bought one in stock, so I can’t speak to ordering. They figured out the taxes, etc and it was all correct for my state.

NJT3

Reaction score
Getting quote from local dealer NJ 2021 Bighorn factory order... With TreadLightly/FCA control offered FFP pricing but also I asked to get hold back but dealer said FFP absorbs thier hold back. Not sure how true is that. Pricing before rebates/incentives
Msrp 57,910
Invoice 54,442
FFP 53,973
Usually MD/VA suspects have offered me 6% below invoice but if I can get halfway think stick local.

awl1123

Reaction score
Dealers receive 2% of invoice back - $75 doc fee when they redeem a control number. I sold this product for a couple years. Never heard of it absorbing holdback. They are effectively selling you the vehicle at 1% OVER invoice.

emings

Reaction score
Interesting as my family has purchased five vehicles from Gillman CJDR through the years and never had a problem. They do try to play their games like any dealer but since I’ve started doing deals online with them, I have never been jerked around. Price is agreed before we went in and there was zero bait/switch.
My family has as well they do have new salesman and a new gm so keep that in mind I was shocked when I went and seen the price but we did manage to do the deal and that's what counts

NJT3

Reaction score
Dealers receive 2% of invoice back - $75 doc fee when they redeem a control number. I sold this product for a couple years. Never heard of it absorbing holdback. They are effectively selling you the vehicle at 1% OVER invoice.
Hold back about 1680... 2% is 1088.... So you think I should be asking for about 2200 more off from FFP at 51,773? I had asked for 52k because of holdback but that was the pushback I got.

Last edited:

ramtruck89

Reaction score
Just got my quote in and I think is a pretty good deal.
MSRP $70,140
Order price $59,149
That is a better deal than I thought I would be able to find.

awl1123

Reaction score
Hold back about 1680... 2% is 1088.... So you think I should be asking for about 2200 more off from FFP at 51,773? I had asked for 52k because of holdback but that was the pushback I got.
I think would be a good target. If you are 3-4% under invoice with a control number it’s a good deal. Sales at most dealers is a volume game anyway, so a factory order that they can pocket for a month when they need 1 to hit quota or move up a tier is pretty helpful. You could always to try incentivize them by offering to finance with the dealer then just refinance with your preferred lender at 90 days or so.

cfue60

Reaction score
Waiting on one last dealer to give me a quote on a build but looks like will be ordering my Limited this week.

Was not able to get a quote matching Koons 6% off invoice but was quoted just $1400 more. With this dealer won't have the $899 processing fee and won't have to travel to go get it so comes out to be about the same deal. I am in Houston so travelling to get it would of been a pain.
What dealer did you get to match Koons? Who was the contact?

cfue60

Reaction score
Nothing to see here. Same games they all play. "New vehicle pricing includes all offers and incentives."

That $10K off you see on the 70k+ plus truck is not the dealer discount, but factoring in all the rebates you won't qualify for.

Meanwhile, I ordered the exact truck I wanted - an actual 10k+ off dealer discount, PLUS rebates and incentives from Lakeland.
How was your interaction with Lakeland?

ramtruck89

Reaction score
What dealer did you get to match Koons? Who was the contact?
Didn’t match but like I mentioned came close. This was Helfman dodge in Katy, talked to Cesar. Received my latest quote from Mark Dodge Lake Charles which beat Koons order price.

cfue60

Reaction score
Didn’t match but like I mentioned came close. This was Helfman dodge in Katy, talked to Cesar. Received my latest quote from Mark Dodge Lake Charles which beat Koons order price.
Mark Dodge Sounds like a winner do you have a contact name over there. I will call them tomorrow for a quote. Did you have to mention affiliate pricing or matching Koons?

ramtruck89

Reaction score
Mark Dodge Sounds like a winner do you have a contact name over there. I will call them tomorrow for a quote. Did you have to mention affiliate pricing or matching Koons?
Haven’t finished my paperwork with them but all I did was give a call and request a build based off my specs. Never mentioned any affiliate pricing or matching Koons. I have the contact for the person I contacted and can pass that along tomorrow if that is ok.

cfue60

Reaction score
Haven’t finished my paperwork with them but all I did was give a call and request a build based off my specs. Never mentioned any affiliate pricing or matching Koons. I have the contact for the person I contacted and can pass that along tomorrow if that is ok.
Yes, That would be great. Get your paper work done and let me know how they are to deal with.

Ram1500OwnerMaybe

Reaction score
This is the link from the forum advertisement on Criswell. Their discount is typically off MSRP so you have to compare to others that discount off invoice. I think you have to deal with Carl too.
I had issues configuring the vehicle I wanted and it was suggested to have a dealer assemble it.
Used the above link with requested configuration and even they are unable to do it.
No idea why it should matter that I want the bench seat configuration with the Sport Appearance Package, but apparently it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online