5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Nova90

Reaction score
Do I only need to put a deposit down now then I can work out the financing once it arrives? IE I can order now and put down whatever I want when it arrives?
Yes, that's what I did with Aaron. I will figure out the financing amount once the truck comes in. For the initial order, I just gave Aaron $1,000 deposit down.

slatersan

Reaction score
And who says that vehicles are a depreciating asset. My 6 month old truck is worth more on the used market that I paid for it on the new arket. Eliminating rebates will only help that.

Not that i'm looking to sell it. Always seems to work that way.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do I only need to put a deposit down now then I can work out the financing once it arrives? IE I can order now and put down whatever I want when it arrives?
Most dealers want $500 or $1000 down on an order that can be used as down payment. You can then put down whatever additional amount you want at delivery. My dealer usually does $2000 deposit but I didn’t want to tie that much up, so talked them into $500. I could have gotten some refunded at delivery and put into the loan, but still better to not put such a big deposit down to begin with. Make sure it is refundable in case there is a problem with the truck or something.

You will probably have to do a credit application at time of order just so they know you are a serious buyer who can afford the truck, then another application at delivery to qualify for the financing at that time.

ben b

Reaction score
Note: I misquoted the amount financed in my original posting. It is corrected now. Big thanks to Ikjk for catching things.

Never leased a car before, but got some good advice from my brother-in-law. This will be my first truck and I'm only 80% certain that I will like it. So I like viewing a lease as a guaranteed "buy back" if I want to return to sedan life.

So I did a little calculation. People on this site seem very fact-oriented so I expect most have done these calculations for themselves. But maybe somebody will find useful.

Using RAM's lease calculator, I found the following (assumes price after rebate & discount is $70,900, all numbers are rounded, tax & license extra, your mileage may vary):

Total Lease Payments:
24 month​
36 month​
48 month​
10k miles/yr
$30,300​
$35,000​
$44,000​
12k miles/yr
$31,000​
$35,700​
$44,700​
15k miles/yr
$31,700​
$37,000​
$46,300​

Cost of additional year:
Go from 24 to 36 month​
Go from 36 to 48 month​
10k miles/yr
-​
$4,700 for year 3​
$9,000 for year 4​
12k miles/yr
-​
$4,700 for year 3​
$9,000 for year 4​
15k miles/yr
-​
$5,300 for year 3​
$9,300 for year 4​

My observation is that the 3rd year of the lease is very cheap and the 4th year is very expensive. Plus, in the 4th year, much of your warranty runs out so your cost may be quite a bit higher. I figure I should know by the end of three years whether I still like the RAM and how reliable my particular truck is.

Guess I'll be going for a 3 year lease.

Last edited:

lkjk

Reaction score
Never leased a car before, but got some good advice from my brother-in-law. This will be my first truck and I'm only 80% certain that I will like it. So I like viewing a lease as a guaranteed "buy back" if I want to return to sedan life.

So I did a little calculation. People on this site seem very fact-oriented so I expect most have done these calculations for themselves. But maybe somebody will find useful.

Using RAM's lease calculator, I found the following (assumes price after rebate is $64,500, all numbers are rounded, tax & license extra, your mileage may vary):

Total Lease Payments:
24 month​
36 month​
48 month​
10k miles/yr
$30,300​
$35,000​
$44,000​
12k miles/yr
$31,000​
$35,700​
$44,700​
15k miles/yr
$31,700​
$37,000​
$46,300​

Cost of additional year:
Go from 24 to 36 month​
Go from 36 to 48 month​
10k miles/yr
-​
$4,700 for year 3​
$9,000 for year 4​
12k miles/yr
-​
$4,700 for year 3​
$9,000 for year 4​
15k miles/yr
-​
$5,300 for year 3​
$9,300 for year 4​

My observation is that the 3rd year of the lease is very cheap and the 4th year is very expensive. Plus, in the 4th year, much of your warranty runs out so your cost may be quite a bit higher. I figure I should know by the end of three years whether I still like the RAM and how reliable my particular truck is.

Paying 36K seems super steep on a 3 year lease with 12k miles per. The truck I'm about to pick up has an MSRP of 63XXXK, I paid 50XXX before ttr...if you think about it that way, the residual value they are giving you, or the starting value (msrp, not baking in that you can get deals), is nuts. Basically since what i paid is 50k, if i paid in 36K over 3 years (0% interest so apples to apples), I'll owe 14K on a 3 year old truck with 36K miles....no way it's not going to be worth double that, and likely more.

ben b

Reaction score
Paying 36K seems super steep on a 3 year lease with 12k miles per. The truck I'm about to pick up has an MSRP of 63XXXK, I paid 50XXX before ttr...if you think about it that way, the residual value they are giving you, or the starting value (msrp, not baking in that you can get deals), is nuts. Basically since what i paid is 50k, if i paid in 36K over 3 years (0% interest so apples to apples), I'll owe 14K on a 3 year old truck with 36K miles....no way it's not going to be worth double that, and likely more.
You are 100% right. I used list price in my calculations which isn't what I am paying. Nor is anybody else who listens to Silent Bob.

For your case of $50k price, scale everything by 70.5%. In other words, the "$36k" would actually be $25.4k.

I'm not trying to convince anybody to lease. There are good reasons to buy with 100% cash or to finance using conventional loan. No argument from me at all.

Just saying that if you are going to lease, 36 month looks like a much sweeter deal than 24 or 48 (at least for my circumstance).

Last edited:

jenkinsinc

Reaction score
Here it is Guys....
Ram Rebel V8 non e torque Crew ( See the Attached Sticker For Details)
MSRP $67,005
Dealer Discount $58,172
Doc Fee + 200
Military (20+ year Retiree) - 500
Chrysler Capitol -500
Total Before TTL is $57,372
Total of 14.38 % off MSRP

Thoughts Post Purchase are as follows:
1. I know I know not the best deal BUUTT... I bought the truck not the deal.
2. As we all know, for WHATEVER REASON ( seriously somebody clue me in) Rebels are never as deeply discounted / incentivized as other models on the 1500 platform.
3. The way things are shaping up this year Im glad I purchased when I did. Discounts and Incentives are going the way of the Dodo.

Attachments

• FINAL_Rebel Widow Sticker.pdf
    96.5 KB · Views: 18

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Using RAM's lease calculator, I found the following (assumes price after rebate is $64,500, all numbers are rounded, tax & license extra, your mileage may vary):

Total Lease Payments:
24 month​
36 month​
48 month​
10k miles/yr
$30,300​
$35,000​
$44,000​
12k miles/yr
$31,000​
$35,700​
$44,700​
15k miles/yr
$31,700​
$37,000​
$46,300​

Cost of additional year:
Go from 24 to 36 month​
Go from 36 to 48 month​
10k miles/yr
-​
$4,700 for year 3​
$9,000 for year 4​
12k miles/yr
-​
$4,700 for year 3​
$9,000 for year 4​
15k miles/yr
-​
$5,300 for year 3​
$9,300 for year 4​

My advice would be to calculate the money factor. Get a copy of the lease agreement with every number written out..that' the super long form the dealer will give you. It'll have in their the buy-out cost (end of lease), total payments, disposition fee and your cost per mile if you go over. You should have enough to fill this out - https://leasehackr.com/calculator

You want your 'years' to be super high. that's how you know it's a good deal.

Example, I did a $1000 down $79 a month lease for an Electric Hyundai and sold it to Carvana after 2 years saving myself the $650 disposition fee and the small scratches that would have cost me some money and all in, I made money on that lease including tax, title, registration. No one makes money on a lease but you should try to get as good of a deal as possible.

Sharing your deal & link to calculator here - https://forum.leasehackr.com/c/ask-the-hackrs/5 will get you some really good feedback.

ben b

Reaction score
My advice would be to calculate the money factor. Get a copy of the lease agreement with every number written out..that' the super long form the dealer will give you. It'll have in their the buy-out cost (end of lease), total payments, disposition fee and your cost per mile if you go over. You should have enough to fill this out - https://leasehackr.com/calculator

You want your 'years' to be super high. that's how you know it's a good deal.

Example, I did a $1000 down $79 a month lease for an Electric Hyundai and sold it to Carvana after 2 years saving myself the $650 disposition fee and the small scratches that would have cost me some money and all in, I made money on that lease including tax, title, registration. No one makes money on a lease but you should try to get as good of a deal as possible.

Sharing your deal & link to calculator here - https://forum.leasehackr.com/c/ask-the-hackrs/5 will get you some really good feedback.

I concur with Adam. My assumption was hugely simplified as a single down payment with essentially zero monthly lease payment. The reason is that I wanted to understand the relative pricing between 2, 3 and 4 year leases. I was surprised to find that year 3 is cheap but year 4 is expensive. But no question that Adam's method should be better, especially if you are comparing realistic leases with different terms.

Satchamo

Reaction score
Talked to Aaron - they are no longer taking orders for 2021s . He said I’d have to wait for 2022 to come available.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Talked to Aaron - they are no longer taking orders for 2021s . He said I’d have to wait for 2022 to come available.
And I saw that the one on his lot you liked seems to have sold, but I could be looking at the wrong one. Gotta act fast if something pops up.

Last edited:

Nasdamus

Reaction score
Spoke with Aaron at Mark Dodge yesterday as I’ve been looking to get a Limited but have been waiting until after we moved. They’ve got no Limiteds on the lot and nothing coming anytime soon. I spoke with a different local dealer and they said due to the shortage of chips and inventory they’re selling at MSRP (incentives off it if applicable). Crazy times.

schex5555

Reaction score
Spoke with Aaron at Mark Dodge yesterday as I’ve been looking to get a Limited but have been waiting until after we moved. They’ve got no Limiteds on the lot and nothing coming anytime soon. I spoke with a different local dealer and they said due to the shortage of chips and inventory they’re selling at MSRP (incentives off it if applicable). Crazy times.
I Have been lurking for a few weeks. Seeing the downward turn in inventory of high priced Limiteds. I broke down and paid MSRP AT Wischnewsky in Huntsville,TX. Just woke up and made the 6 hr drive from hammond la. got the 0% for 72 months. They were very friendly and took my trade. The Truck has everything. In this market I was elated.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I Have been lurking for a few weeks. Seeing the downward turn in inventory of high priced Limiteds. I broke down and paid MSRP AT Wischnewsky in Huntsville,TX. Just woke up and made the 6 hr drive from hammond la. got the 0% for 72 months. They were very friendly and took my trade. The Truck has everything. In this market I was elated.

Welcome. Congrats on the new truck

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You are in Louisiana and didn't order from Mark Dodge and lock in 0% for 72 with the sold order? You could have saved at least $7000 vs paying MSRP. But if you are happy with the deal and getting the truck now that is all that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread