5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Runagun

Reaction score
Well, I done did it! Ordered my first truck yesterday so HUGE thanks to everyone on the forum here for all of the information, advice, and insights; definitely saved me thousands more going with Jason and Aaron at Mark Dodge than anyone else that I had been talking to before learning about them. Rebates aren't stellar in April but I opted for the 0% financing too so I guess that hurts my "percentage". 13% off MSRP pre-rebates; $500 Chrysler Capital and $1,000 True Car brings it up to 15% off MSRP. Hopefully rebates will be better in July (but from what I'm reading this doesn't look too promising) and I get one of those $1,000 off mailers, but all things considered, it is still WAY better than any of my local dealers.
Can it be July yet??
No way! Awesome congrats with health and happiness!

chuck01835

Reaction score
Mike,

I live in PA very close to PA/NJ border. I'm not sure you are going to find many competitive dealers locally. I certainly tried to make it work even venturing to MD (Criswell) and VA (Koons). In the end, Aaron at Mark Dodge (1,400 miles from my house) earned my business & I placed an order with him.
Are you shipping or driving it back?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys new to this site, I'm about to buy my first brand new ram and im not to familiar with dealing with car dealerships and have a couple of questions maybe you guys could answer.
1 if you make a truck with stuff you want on it do you have to pay msrp that it totals or can you negotiate it alittle?
2 does anyone in here know any good dealerships in the pacific northwest?
3 whats the difference between laramie and the limited trims? (those are the ones im interested in)
1. Negotiate. Negotiate. Negotiate.

Silent Bob has done a great job getting all the pricing information into one, mega-long, thread. Read it. (You should not even pay inventory pricing, let alone MSRP.)

2. I ordered through Phillip Olson at Bud Clary in Seattle. His contact info is in the thread by @Silent Bob : again, read that thread. (Heck, it looks like it might even be the first post in THIS thread.)

3. Go to ramtrucks.com and build both types of vehicles. Download the build sheets. Print them out. Tape them next to each other. Take out your sharpie/highlighter and start comparing.

Seriously...read this very thread you've just posted in. Start at the beginning. A few days' reading will save you thousands of dollars.

Edited to add: THIS is what you need to read: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/how-to-get-the-best-price-on-your-new-ram.26103/

rbundy84

Reaction score
I know the bubble has to pop soon, but my Carvana offer went up another $800 from two weeks ago....

My 2014 Equinox Carvana offer is $11,600
NADA is $12,075

WReckeR

Reaction score
Hey guys new to this site, I'm about to buy my first brand new ram and im not to familiar with dealing with car dealerships and have a couple of questions maybe you guys could answer.
1 if you make a truck with stuff you want on it do you have to pay msrp that it totals or can you negotiate it alittle?
3 whats the difference between laramie and the limited trims? (those are the ones im interested in)
No one answered #3 (I don't think?) so I'll do that for you.

The air cushion suspension is standard on the Limited, optional on the Laramie.
The Limited has projector LED headlights, while the Laramie has reflector LEDs.
The Limited offers ventilated rear seats for your passengers. You cannot get ventilated rears on the Laramie.
The Limited uses an ornate stitching in the leather seats and door trim. Ornamental only.
The Limited's seats are full leather, while the Laramie uses a suede-like alcantara textile at the seams between primary surfaces and bolsters. Personally, I like the look of this material on my Laramie.
The Limited has carpet inserts in the rubber floor mats. They can be removed for winter, or inserted for a little nicer look and comfort if you take off your shoes.
The Limited had little covers over the coin storage and cup holders in the center console. They tilt out of the way if you want access.
The Limited has "Limited" branding on the console lid and in the dash display.
The Limited has wood trim on the steering wheel and doors that is striped. It's another aesthetic, and maybe you like it, maybe you don't care.
The wheels are different. Premium 22" wheels are still an upgrade though. If you're going to order, maybe see if the aftermarket has something you like better. You may save some money.

Cueball

Reaction score
This thread was super helpful for me in getting a deal that was very easy to negotiate and saved me a lot of $! I picked up my truck, 1500 Limited, Max Steel yesterday (Ordered February 5.)
When I ordered I had used Silent Bob’s recommendations in these threads, contacted multiple dealers and then worked with a very small dealership in Oregon that was eager for my business, competitive in pricing and made it all smooth. I had affiliate pricing by joining Access Fund and then they discounted more from there.
MSRP $66370
Invoice $60869
Agreed upon price at order $58200
$500 Chrysler capital rebate
$1000 off Ram direct offer email so final price before state DMV/registration fees: $56700
14.6% off MSRP, 6.9% off invoice
I went with the 0% for 72 months
The dealership gave me $400 more than most recent offer from Vroom on my trade-in (Carvana isn’t available where I live)
My amateur advice: use Silent Bob’s templates, contact multiple dealers, join Access Fund for $50 to at least get 1% below invoice.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does Sold Order Consumer Incentive Protection program apply to only rebates, or financing as well?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a little confused... is Tread Lightly 1% below invoice, or $500? Can it be combined with PenFed?

I have a good offer right now from a local dealer of 2.6% below invoice (no travel to get the truck or shipping costs, and a good trade price so no sales tax penalty).

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know the bubble has to pop soon, but my Carvana offer went up another $800 from two weeks ago....

My 2014 Equinox Carvana offer is $11,600
NADA is $12,075

I'm wondering about this too, my carvana on my 17 ram longhorn came up $3,000 in the last month. I don't see newer model lower mileage trucks flooding the market all of the sudden in the next few months so I'm hoping my value stays up there or grows until my new truck is delivered.
I'm a little confused... is Tread Lightly 1% below invoice, or $500? Can it be combined with PenFed?

I have a good offer right now from a local dealer of 2.6% below invoice (no travel to get the truck or shipping costs, and a good trade price so no sales tax penalty).
I think it depends on your deal/dealer. It says right on tread lightlys website that joining earns you the 1% below invoice or whatever, however, in my case the dealer discount was already below that and my dealer (Aaron at Mark Dodge) offered me the extra $500 off for joining the $100 memebership. Other dealers may require this to get you to the 1% below invoice.

Edit: Just to add, in my particular case yes the $500 tread lightly is being used with the penfed $1000. Other than that I am taking $500 from Chrysler Capital and the 0%, losing the additional $1250 from Chrysler Capital by taking the 0% I Was going to drive down and back to Louisiana, but between Carvana and Autonation I have been offered $3,000 and $4,500 more than my trade in offer I took when ordering the new truck. Even the $3,000 would be enough to cover the difference in taxes for not trading in (about $2400-2500 difference) and most of the shipping to get the truck up to me in NY. Now, maybe I could try to get my trade in offer up more from Aaron, but I'd love to save a trip down there.

Last edited:

Dansjeep2000

Reaction score

Tread lightly is 1% below invoice, penfed is a 1k rebate, pretty much all the other rebates are truecar $500 rebates, except for the $750-1000 Ram direct email. Pretty sure this is how it works.

Silent Bob

Reaction score

Phillip is in PNW. He may have the lowest prices in the country right now, followed closely by Aaron in Louisiana.

Phillip Olson, General Sales Manager at Bud Clary in Washington State
Tell him Silent Bob from 5thGenRams Forum sent you.
Cell 360-434-2929 (text is great)
[email protected]

You can find other volume dealers using the link in my signature below.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Does Sold Order Consumer Incentive Protection program apply to only rebates, or financing as well?

It includes both cash and financing incentives.

Silent Bob

Reaction score

It can be combined with PenFed.

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what the Affiliate Pricing (Tread Lightly) discount is and is not.

A $100 Tread Lightly membership gets you access to Affiliate Pricing.
Affiliate Pricing allows you to buy a vehicle at 1% below invoice plus $75. It is not an exact monetary discount off a negotiated price.

As I understand it, if the dealer is using the Affiliate pricing program he is not supposed to discount beyond that (not including other incentives). The factory then gives them some sort of reimbursement. If the dealer is giving you a lower price he is not supposed to file for that reimbursement.

That being said many dealers will submit for that reimbursement anyway and pass along some of this discount to you. Maybe the factory never checks or that particular dealer is willing to roll the dice on an audit.

For some reason Tread Lightly gets talked about the most but Access Fund is cheaper. Your company may also provide you the benefit at no charge.

Check to see if your employer is part of the Affiliate Pricing Program LINK
If not join Access Fund for $50 - LINK
or
Tread Lightly for $100 - LINK
After joining you must wait 30 days before you take possession of the vehicle. This works at any dealership.

Check the link in my signature for more information.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

Reaction score
Being a PenFed member, how do you get the 1000 rebate ?

For a limited time PenFed Members get up to $1,000 Bonus Cash in addition to exclusive Member pricing on select Ram Models. See dealer for details. Must be an active PenFed member for at least 60 days to be eligible.

You can find the link on the first page of this post:

sflindsey

Reaction score
TreadLightly gets you 1% under invoice (plus $75 fee), so if you're already under invoice it doesn't technically help you get a deeper discount. If you're going to join one, you could join the Access Fund for $50 instead of TreadLightly - don't see the point though.
This really is dependent on the dealer. I signed up for TreadLightly also. My cost was more than 1% under invoice. The dealer took $500 off for the TreadLightly discount. They did not have to do this but this is how they operate.

Users who are viewing this thread