5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Troutbeck27

Reaction score
Hey guys new to this site, I'm about to buy my first brand new ram and im not to familiar with dealing with car dealerships and have a couple of questions maybe you guys could answer.
1 if you make a truck with stuff you want on it do you have to pay msrp that it totals or can you negotiate it alittle?
2 does anyone in here know any good dealerships in the pacific northwest?
3 whats the difference between laramie and the limited trims? (those are the ones im interested in)
Where in the PNW?

ben b

Reaction score
Huge thanks to people on this thread! Your insight saved me a bunch of $.

First off, let me say that I hate negotiating. Always have. Normally I just take the Costco price and avoid all the messiness. That's what I did this time as well. Got 9.5% off MSRP on my order. Then I started reading this thread. Since I'm already 6 weeks into my order, waiting for delivery, I sure didn't want to restart the clock. So less room for negotiation.

Still, I figured What the heck? The techniques here don't seem so hard.

Long story, short. I am now at 12% off MSRP (pre-rebate) and get to keep my existing order on track. Got it in writing. To his credit, the Dealer isn't angry; we both stayed calm and respectful and just discussed the facts with zero bull. Also, I didn't insist on him matching the best price I could find anywhere in the country. We both knew that I didn't want to walk.

I know that others on this forum (better negotiators) get bigger discounts than me. I'm happy for them. And very happy to have the extra $2k in my pocket.

This thread rocks!

1ramrunner

Reaction score
So I wanted to share a bit of information that might be valuable to you.

Also, I've been told by Phillip and local dealers that you CAN get Blind Spot/Cross Traffic on a Laramie order, but not on lot trucks.
Please tell me more, my first choice has always been Larime with Night Edition, RamBox, Heads up and Advanced Safety. I have no interest in air suspension or power running boards or factory tri-fold cover so I'm struggling to talk myself into a Limited. The other option is Lari,e Limited, but don't want all that chrome.

Horty222

Reaction score
Can someone confirm this incentive?
My dealer is saying that if I do Treadlighty and join for $100 I can use that membership for a $500 discount? So basically netting $400. I've already ordered the truck and was already getting under invoice. Anyone?

Reaction score
My dealer is saying that if I do Treadlighty and join for $100 I can use that membership for a $500 discount? So basically netting $400. I've already ordered the truck and was already getting under invoice. Anyone?
TreadLightly gets you 1% under invoice (plus $75 fee), so if you're already under invoice it doesn't technically help you get a deeper discount. If you're going to join one, you could join the Access Fund for $50 instead of TreadLightly - don't see the point though.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Please tell me more, my first choice has always been Larime with Night Edition, RamBox, Heads up and Advanced Safety. I have no interest in air suspension or power running boards or factory tri-fold cover so I'm struggling to talk myself into a Limited. The other option is Lari,e Limited, but don't want all that chrome.
I was basically right there with you but I really loved the patriot blue...which is only available in night edition on the 1500s in the Limited trim.

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Hi all, First time poster here. Really appreciate all of the information already.

Anyway, are people getting any good deals in the Northeast now? Not sure if it is my area, or the timing with the slowdown in new deliveries due to the chip shortage, but I have been trying to get quotes from dealers all over my area (NJ but checking adjoining states) and not one dealer will give me a a legitimate quote based on what I am reading here. Most are quoting me at MSRP minus the $1500 in rebates. My most recent quote was $51,350 which included everything (truck price, doc fees, rebates, tag and title) but did not include sales tax on a Ram 1500 Bighorn with an total price on the window sticker of $53,365. This price he quoted did assume that I would use the 72 month 0% financing. From what I am reading on here it sounds like that $51,350 should be somewhere in the range of $45,000. Am I missing something? If anyone knows a good dealer within 500 miles of NJ, or even further if the deals are really good, I would really appreciate if you could let me know.

Thanks, Mike

Reaction score
Hi all, First time poster here. Really appreciate all of the information already.

Anyway, are people getting any good deals in the Northeast now? Not sure if it is my area, or the timing with the slowdown in new deliveries due to the chip shortage, but I have been trying to get quotes from dealers all over my area (NJ but checking adjoining states) and not one dealer will give me a a legitimate quote based on what I am reading here. Most are quoting me at MSRP minus the $1500 in rebates. My most recent quote was $51,350 which included everything (truck price, doc fees, rebates, tag and title) but did not include sales tax on a Ram 1500 Bighorn with an total price on the window sticker of $53,365. This price he quoted did assume that I would use the 72 month 0% financing. From what I am reading on here it sounds like that $51,350 should be somewhere in the range of $45,000. Am I missing something? If anyone knows a good dealer within 500 miles of NJ, or even further if the deals are really good, I would really appreciate if you could let me know.

Thanks, Mike
Welcome, Mike! First, I'd definitely read through Silent Bob's post where he covers the different methods. At an absolute minimum, you should be getting 1% below invoice (plus $75 fee), before any rebates (seemingly $1,500 and 0% financing). However, contacting some of the "high volume" dealers that Silent Bob references can yield some incredible results. I would bet you could save another $4k or $5k by talking to Aaron at Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, LA. He can also help you arrange to have your truck shipped up to you - contact him for a quote.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have other specific questions!

MikeStaten

Reaction score
Welcome, Mike! First, I'd definitely read through Silent Bob's post where he covers the different methods. At an absolute minimum, you should be getting 1% below invoice (plus $75 fee), before any rebates (seemingly $1,500 and 0% financing). However, contacting some of the "high volume" dealers that Silent Bob references can yield some incredible results. I would bet you could save another $4k or $5k by talking to Aaron at Mark Dodge in Lake Charles, LA. He can also help you arrange to have your truck shipped up to you - contact him for a quote.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have other specific questions!
Thanks. Just so I am clear, when people are referring to 1% below invoice, that price target includes everything except sales tax?

Appyfan

Reaction score

Thanks, Mike
Hi Mike,
I bought a new Limited a few weeks ago from Lilliston CJDR in Millville, and I’m from western NY. I wanted a 6’4 inch bed, and there aren’t a lot of those in Laramie and up trims In a reasonable distance. Anyway, I negotiated 12.8 % discount/rebates off MSRP. Not great in comparison to a lot of deals here, or to a quote I got from Aaron at Mark Dodge on a build order, but the kicker was $4 K more on my trade than Aaron estimated, $2 K more than Carvana. All the negotiating was done via email, and there were no surprises when I got there. Jade Temperino is the internet manager, Ian Schneider was my salesman.

Reaction score
Thanks. Just so I am clear, when people are referring to 1% below invoice, that price target includes everything except sales tax?
It just means the "invoice" price vs. the "MSRP" or window sticker price. You can virtually build your truck here (NADA Guides - LINK) and see the invoice price vs. the MSRP. Once you calculate your affiliate price (1% under invoice + $75 fee), you could subtract the rebates you qualify for but then you'll have to add tax, tag, title and doc fee. Mark Dodge charges $219 fee whereas some other dealers will charge $899 for the doc fee.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score

That was the arrangement I had with Aaron at mark dodge for my order, he gave me an additional $500 off for doing the $100 membership.

Horty222

Reaction score
You can also try Carl at Criswell in MD. He can get you 11% off MSRP plus incentives on top of that for factory orders. As always it does not include tax title and tags.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, I done did it! Ordered my first truck yesterday so HUGE thanks to everyone on the forum here for all of the information, advice, and insights; definitely saved me thousands more going with Jason and Aaron at Mark Dodge than anyone else that I had been talking to before learning about them. Rebates aren't stellar in April but I opted for the 0% financing too so I guess that hurts my "percentage". 13% off MSRP pre-rebates; $500 Chrysler Capital and $1,000 True Car brings it up to 15% off MSRP. Hopefully rebates will be better in July (but from what I'm reading this doesn't look too promising) and I get one of those $1,000 off mailers, but all things considered, it is still WAY better than any of my local dealers.
Can it be July yet??

Nova90

Reaction score

Thanks, Mike
Mike,

I live in PA very close to PA/NJ border. I'm not sure you are going to find many competitive dealers locally. I certainly tried to make it work even venturing to MD (Criswell) and VA (Koons). In the end, Aaron at Mark Dodge (1,400 miles from my house) earned my business & I placed an order with him.

Horty222

Reaction score
That was the arrangement I had with Aaron at mark dodge for my order, he gave me an additional $500 off for doing the $100 membership.
Ok good to know. Which club membership o TreadLightly did you subscribe to?

TDP154

Reaction score
I went for the slightly used route to look for a deal. Retail price on my truck was $40,075 according to their paperwork, with a listing price of $32,415. A “savings” of $7,660. With “accessories,” government fees, processing/documenting fees, and taxes, the new total was $37,051. I told them I had a check from my credit union for $30,000 and my 2013 V6 Charger for a trade-in. If they wanted to make a deal, then great. If not, no harm done. They initially valued my trade in at $2,600. (It was junk, honestly) and after a headache of miscommunication between the sales rep and the manager, they ended up accepting the deal. So after the trade-in, the price was now at $34,451, meaning I got an extra $4,451 off the price. I found the best deals are out in the middle of nowhere where they don’t make as many sales. I tried this tactic at a few dealerships in more populated areas when looking at other trucks, and they wouldn’t even come down $500.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread