5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

ExT

Reaction score
I see you may have uploaded the wrong picture. That aside, you need to clarify a few things first. Look at the Market Value Selling Price ($74,380). Is this the "MSRP" listed in the window sticker? If not, you need to know that. Also, does the Market Value Selling Price already include the destination charge? If so, don't let them add it a second time. Once you know the actual MSRP and whether or not destination is being charged twice, the calculation will be easier (and more accurate). IF the destination charge is not included twice, it appears (without knowing more) that you're getting over 18% off MSRP. Not sure if that's actually a good deal for a 2020. 2021, yes. 2020, maybe not.

Completely agreed. 18% off a 2020 is a no no. I got over 18% plus a dealer package ($2000 value) off a 2021 from Grapevine Dodge last week.

diyram

Reaction score
Completely agreed. 18% off a 2020 is a no no. I got over 18% plus a dealer package ($2000 value) off a 2021 from Grapevine Dodge last week.
What would you expect % off for a 2020? Not many of those around.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
18% off on your 2021 is a great deal. However, the $2000 value dealer package is really worth about $500, if that...I am hoping you got them to throw it all in for free.

itsearl

Reaction score
New to the forum. Originally joined the forum to get running board ideas for my in-laws 2019. Anywho, when everybody talks rebates, does that include "employee pricing"? Is employee pricing just a fancy word for rebate? When I've asked dealers for lists of incentives, they list the employee pricing discount with the rebates. Just trying to compare apples to apples. In a nutshell, I'm looking for a target percentage off MSRP to shoot for and then apply rebates. Also, is there more wiggle based on trim line? I've been looking at Big Horn dually diesel just to keep costs down, but if I can get a Laramie/Limited at a comparable price I'm game.

ExT

Reaction score
18% off on your 2021 is a great deal. However, the $2000 value dealer package is really worth about $500, if that...I am hoping you got them to throw it all in for free.

I know it is not worth $2000 on the market, but they forced me to go with it, and I said hell no I don't need it. But apparently it's their policy or something, so eventually I got that included free of charge.

What would you expect % off for a 2020? Not many of those around.

I was actually thinking about getting a 2020 before pulling the trigger on this so I did some research. Most of the 2020 Limited in DFW (not many left since that had been late in the year end sale event) came out under $48000K sale price depending on options. But the fact is most of the 2020 models are gone so you are most unlikely able to get the build you want now.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
New to the forum. Originally joined the forum to get running board ideas for my in-laws 2019. Anywho, when everybody talks rebates, does that include "employee pricing"? Is employee pricing just a fancy word for rebate? When I've asked dealers for lists of incentives, they list the employee pricing discount with the rebates. Just trying to compare apples to apples. In a nutshell, I'm looking for a target percentage off MSRP to shoot for and then apply rebates. Also, is there more wiggle based on trim line? I've been looking at Big Horn dually diesel just to keep costs down, but if I can get a Laramie/Limited at a comparable price I'm game.
Welcome! Ask the dealer to break out all of the discounts or you'll never really know. Shoot for 20% off MSRP and if you get north of 15%, then you're doing OK. There is a lot more money (profit) in a high level trim over a base so you can negotiate more on an upper level trim than you can on a base model.

Reactions: ExT

itsearl

Reaction score
Wow, that's an eye opener. Just like buying an RV then. I thought my whiff was nuts when she told me 43% off on RV's. Until we bought one. That's why I have to look for a 5th gen Ram. The ol' 2010 5.7 mega struggles a bit pulling that monster. So to confirm: 20 percent off MSRP. Rebates are just that: rebates, ignore from the equation completely. Thanks for the welcome. I guess I shouldn't have called a heavy duty 5th gen. Some purists consider the heavies as 4.5. But that's for a different thread.

diyram

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a 2020 unless it was well north of 25% off MSRP IMPO. It is a 2020 and dealers want to get rid of them all.
Yeah i think i would get told where to go if i offered 25%+ off a 68k msrp Limited. Wont hurt to try i guess.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Wow, that's an eye opener. Just like buying an RV then. I thought my whiff was nuts when she told me 43% off on RV's. Until we bought one. That's why I have to look for a 5th gen Ram. The ol' 2010 5.7 mega struggles a bit pulling that monster. So to confirm: 20 percent off MSRP. Rebates are just that: rebates, ignore from the equation completely. Thanks for the welcome. I guess I shouldn't have called a heavy duty 5th gen. Some purists consider the heavies as 4.5. But that's for a different thread.
20% off MSRP would be a hell of a deal my friend. Some get a bit north of that, but most are between 14-18% based on all that I've seen folks post.

diyram

Reaction score
I know it is not worth $2000 on the market, but they forced me to go with it, and I said hell no I don't need it. But apparently it's their policy or something, so eventually I got that included free of charge.

I was actually thinking about getting a 2020 before pulling the trigger on this so I did some research. Most of the 2020 Limited in DFW (not many left since that had been late in the year end sale event) came out under $48000K sale price depending on options. But the fact is most of the 2020 models are gone so you are most unlikely able to get the build you want now.
Thanks.. there are actually a couple very well optioned 2020’s in the area that i would love, but i just don’t see them going down to 50k !!

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah i think i would get told where to go if i offered 25%+ off a 68k msrp Limited. Wont hurt to try i guess.
Maybe...you never know until you try. You need to do it in person and not via email or phone. If you are truly ready to buy...that day...then give it a shot. Request to see the General Sales Manager when you walk in and not a lowly salesman. It all depends on how bad they want to get rid of it. An end-of-month purchase may give you more leverage assuming it's still there around the 25th of January.

ExT

Reaction score
Thanks.. there are actually a couple very well optioned 2020’s in the area that i would love, but i just don’t see them going down to 50k !!

Dealers are desperately trying to get rid of the 2020 models now, which means they should have larger room to play with, I'd call them directly and name your price to see what they say. My local dealership (Rockwall Dodge) still have an optioned 2020 Limited with almost $65000 MSRP that come out to be under $50000 sale price. It could be had for under $47000 plus tax I believe.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dealers are desperately trying to get rid of the 2020 models now, which means they should have larger room to play with, I'd call them directly and name your price to see what they say. My local dealership (Rockwall Dodge) still have an optioned 2020 Limited with almost $65000 MSRP that come out to be under $50000 sale price. It could be had for under $47000 plus tax I believe.
I agree with all that you said, but your BEST leverage is when you're sitting right there ready to write a check!

diyram

Reaction score
That is amazing man, i wish i was in TX !! I just noticed that a lot of these 2020’s near me in the north east are v6 diesel so that must play into why they are available as well. But there are still more than a few v8’s! Hopefully i can get a dealer to bite.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
That is amazing man, i wish i was in TX !! I just noticed that a lot of these 2020’s near me in the north east are v6 diesel so that must play into why they are available as well. But there are still more than a few v8’s! Hopefully i can get a dealer to bite.
Have you thought about buying out of state? Many folks do and fly in and drive their new ride home.

Reaction score
So please set me straight, at the time of purchasing last Saturday, dealer told me that they could not honor the Ram $1500 pop-up cause it was in my wife’s name and could only honor my TrueCar $500 coupon. So the dealer instead gave me $1000 dealer coupon to close the deal. Monday morning I call Ram CS and got instructed to just submit my wife’s info to dealer and they [Ram] will work with dealer to reimburse me that $1500. Lo and behold, dealer email saying that they can’t honor 2 TDM incentives and since I already purchased the truck, nothing can really be done. So my question is the TrueCar coupon cannot be stacked with the Ram pop-up? Attached is dealer response to me.

Attachments

• 8A609B37-9457-4ADC-8937-519B038D7C1F.png
    8A609B37-9457-4ADC-8937-519B038D7C1F.png
    355.4 KB · Views: 26

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
So please set me straight, at the time of purchasing last Saturday, dealer told me that they could not honor the Ram $1500 pop-up cause it was in my wife’s name and could only honor my TrueCar $500 coupon. So the dealer instead gave me $1000 dealer coupon to close the deal. Monday morning I call Ram CS and got instructed to just submit my wife’s info to dealer and they [Ram] will work with dealer to reimburse me that $1500. Lo and behold, dealer email saying that they can’t honor 2 TDM incentives and since I already purchased the truck, nothing can really be done. So my question is the TrueCar coupon cannot be stacked with the Ram pop-up? Attached is dealer response to me.
Typically, not always, coupons can't be "stacked". The fact the coupon was in your wife's name really should have no bearing. In the end, it sounds like you got your $1500 ($500 TC plus the dealers $1K).

Users who are viewing this thread