5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Zinger

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
Fully loaded Etorque, 22’s, 3.92, Lock, trailer brake, panoramic sunroof, etc.

MSRP $68,245
-$3,500 rebates from Ram
-$9,415 additional negotiated at dealer
=$55,330 paid

John, tell me about the $9415 negotiated amount. How did you go about getting that? In my experience, I get to about the invoice amount (about $4500 or so depending on model) and that's where things stop. Nobody wants to reach in their pocket further. I walk out. So if you could give me some insight on how you went about getting that number I'm all ears.

DaBoone37

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 Bed
5.7L etorque, 4x4, Off Road Group, Ram Box, 3.92 gears, trailer brake controller

MSRP $55,765
-$5,500 incentives(Lease + conquest)
-$5,452 dealer discount ($1k under invoice)
=$44,813 plus TTL

Mike67

Reaction score
John, tell me about the $9415 negotiated amount. How did you go about getting that? In my experience, I get to about the invoice amount (about $4500 or so depending on model) and that's where things stop. Nobody wants to reach in their pocket further. I walk out. So if you could give me some insight on how you went about getting that number I'm all ears.
Hey Zinger.
Search this thread for kjram, he has listed dealers that offer 5-7% under invoice.
Get the quote and take that to your local dealer.
I did that and the local dealer matched.

john-Ram19Limited

Reaction score
Hey Zinger.
Search this thread for kjram, he has listed dealers that offer 5-7% under invoice.
Get the quote and take that to your local dealer.
I did that and the local dealer matched.

Hi Zinger, I have been working on getting a good price for about a month and have been using multiple dealers to work against themselves on who gave me the best price. I kept on showing them the terms other dealers would do so they can beet the current price. However, I finally came across a good salesman who did not play any games and gave me a phenomenal price that beet any other deal that I’ve seen since I started the search.

jk101

Reaction score
Hi Zinger, I have been working on getting a good price for about a month and have been using multiple dealers to work against themselves on who gave me the best price. I kept on showing them the terms other dealers would do so they can beet the current price. However, I finally came across a good salesman who did not play any games and gave me a phenomenal price that beet any other deal that I’ve seen since I started the search.
Name of dealership & sales person?

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
I've been waiting for a thread like this, finally find one. So here I am. I currently have a 2015 Silverado High Country through work and I plan on getting a new truck in December. I can get anything I want. Chevy dropped the ball on their new interior. I love the FOrd Super Duty but their interiors are complete ****, even in top trim. That leaves me with a Ram. I'm not brand loyal whatsoever. I was going to hold out for the new 2500 but I like being able to park anywhere (garages) so that's out. Now that my introduction is out of the way:

A message to all negotiators: I've bought a lot of trucks, from many different dealers. There is a rule of thumb. NEVER buy it for anything less than $10k MSRP. Period. We will exclude the Raptor from this. Even when the brand new Super Duty came out, my buddy argued with me and said the owner of the dealership himself said "invoice pricing was the best he could do". I told him they were full of crap. He ended up getting $12k off when they were first hitting the lots. It is worth mentioning it was for a loaded platinum. Keep in mind the discounts get higher as the trim gets higher.

With that said, ignore invoice. Ignore holdback. Trust me on this. No one here has any clue as to what the dealer's real cost is. It's all a scam. My family is close personal friends with two dealers in a major Texas city. Both families are extraordinarily wealthy, with personal networth's exceeding $100mm. That didn't happen by selling cars below cost. With the advent of the internet dealers got smart and worked with the factories to conceal things further. There's nothing better than a customer who thinks they are educated. Trust me, none of us are.

Just recently a local dealer had brand new rams (2019) on the lot, they were selling them for $15k off sticker. Do you really think they're losing money on those?

I realize I have not provided any evidence or detailed break down of why what I said it's true. That's because there is no evidence, other than the fact that I have successfully gotten $10k + of on all truck purchases over the last 15 years. I've also helped a lot of friends (who didn't believe me) get great deals. How? I ridiculed them and made fun of them relentlessly. FInally they got the hint and figured it out.

Bottom line: Shop around. Be patient. If it's anything less than $10k off walk away, unless you have to have a truck that day. Don't let them waste their time lying about invoice, and hold back and other crap. Just explain you don't care how they get to that number and you don't want them wasting your time explaining it.

I will be purchasing a Limited with every option minus Rambox and engine block heater. Either granite or billet silver exterior with indigo frost interior. The only thing I can't decide is whether or not to get the offroad package, or piece the protection group together and get the 22s. I will not buy for anything less than $12,500 off.

Hopefully this inspired at least one person to get out there and beat these dealers down. They are not hurting. Trust me. One of our friends has a $20mm jet that he uses weekly to fly to golf courses all over the USA. For those that don't know, each way costs $20-30K in fuel.

EDIT: I just re-read my post and noticed I said "trust me" 3 times. Now I sound like one of them LOL

Last edited:

bigfro

Reaction score
So are you saying at least 10k off MSRP including or excluding rebates/incentives? Or the whole package?

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
So are you saying at least 10k off MSRP including or excluding rebates/incentives? Or the whole package?

Whole package. I never look at how they get there. That's their whole game. They want us to feel like we're in control.

I just know a general rule of thumb regarding trucks in regards to the minimum amount off of MSRP you should accept. I read some posts here where people were getting some really lousy discounts, so I like to help people.

It's worth mentioning that none of the salesmen, or even the sales manager, have any idea what the dealerships real cost is. And I'm not even 100% sure the GM knows. If he/she does, they are definitely not going to tell anyone the truth.

Reaction score
Whole package. I never look at how they get there. That's their whole game. They want us to feel like we're in control.

I just know a general rule of thumb regarding trucks in regards to the minimum amount off of MSRP you should accept. I read some posts here where people were getting some really lousy discounts, so I like to help people.

It's worth mentioning that none of the salesmen, or even the sales manager, have any idea what the dealerships real cost is. And I'm not even 100% sure the GM knows. If he/she does, they are definitely not going to tell anyone the truth.

I'm looking at a Limited for $52,392 listed ($61,630 MSRP). I've asked for $49,000 but didn't even get a counter offer. Ha, I realize that my offer was incredibly low, but I'm trying real hard to get the purchase price down to close to $40,000 after incentives and trade-in. I've had two dealers turn me down on sub-$50k offers.

JustAnotherGuy

Reaction score
I'm looking at a Limited for $52,392 listed ($61,630 MSRP). I've asked for $49,000 but didn't even get a counter offer. Ha, I realize that my offer was incredibly low, but I'm trying real hard to get the purchase price down to close to $40,000 after incentives and trade-in. I've had two dealers turn me down on sub-$50k offers.
Timing is important. The issue there is I don't know how to predict when the good times are. I noticed the dealer that had $15k off on 19s now has very modest discounts listed. I just keep an eye on the internet prices of a few local dealers and once I see them advertising pretty aggressive pricing ($7500+ off) then I assume the timing is right and push for a good deal. I think a lot of it has to do with their inventory. Typically if it's low they care less about dealing. The dealers I keep my eye on all have low inventory now.

Now if you live in a small town with one dealer, things can vary. I live in Texas, in a big city. But I still feel the $10k mark holds true, anywhere. It might not be the dealer outside your house, but it could be one not too far down the road.

Reaction score
Just finished up another text message session with a dealer offering a Limited at around $53k. Would not budge on price. Of course they want me to come in as that will "improve my leverage" lol.

I really have to get this thing to $49k before I can honestly consider it. Guess I'll just keep looking nationwide for a price to combat them with.

jimk hunt

Reaction score

I don't think there is a rule of thumb you can apply to all truck purchases. You site $10-15k discounts in your initial post. That's quite a spread so why settle for $10 if $15 is available? The difference between MSRP and dealer invoice for Ford GMC, and Ram are not the same so trying to apply a single discount is of no value. MSRP is an absolutely made up number and has grown faster than dealer cost over the last 10-15 years.

An internet ad is also of little value as many will include every consumer incentive even though no one will qualify for all of them. They are designed to get you into the dealer as that is there best chance to sell you a vehicle.

You are correct that car dealers are wealthy (water is wet) but they make most of their profit from finance and add on warranties, service and warranty work. Just check the publicly available annual financials of Auto Nation. You are also correct that you may have to travel to get the best deal. Reading this thread proves that. Some people just don't want to deal with that hassle.

So read this thread, find out the dealer invoice and negotiate down from there. Do it over the phone, text or email. If you go into the dealer they have home field advantage. You can also visit fightingchance.net for a lot of good info on how the industry has changed pricing to deal with the information available on the internet. I have no affiliation, just good reading. Good luck in your search. I will be ordering a truck from Koons next month.

Last edited:

Roddog2220

Reaction score
I don't think there is a rule of thumb you can apply to all truck purchases. You site $10-15k discounts in your initial post. That's quite a spread so why settle for $10 if $15 is available? The difference between MSRP and dealer invoice for Ford GMC, and Ram are not the same so trying to apply a single discount is of no value. MSRP is an absolutely made up number and has grown faster than dealer cost over the last 10-15 years.

An internet ad is also of little value as many will include every consumer incentive even though no one will qualify for all of them. They are designed to get you into the dealer as that is there best chance to sell you a vehicle.

You are correct that car dealers are wealthy (water is wet) but they make most of their profit from finance and add on warranties, service and warranty work. Just check the publicly available annual financials of Auto Nation. You are also correct that you may have to travel to get the best deal. Reading this thread proves that. Some people just don't want to deal with that hassle.

So read this thread, find out the dealer invoice and negotiate down from there. Do it over the phone, text or email. If you go into the dealer they have home field advantage. You can also visit fightingchance.net for a lot of good info on how the industry has changed pricing to deal with the information available on the internet. I have no affiliation, just good reading. Good luck in your search. I will be ordering a truck from Koons next month.

I've been waiting for a thread like this, finally find one. So here I am. I currently have a 2015 Silverado High Country through work and I plan on getting a new truck in December. I can get anything I want. Chevy dropped the ball on their new interior. I love the FOrd Super Duty but their interiors are complete ****, even in top trim. That leaves me with a Ram. I'm not brand loyal whatsoever. I was going to hold out for the new 2500 but I like being able to park anywhere (garages) so that's out. Now that my introduction is out of the way:

A message to all negotiators: I've bought a lot of trucks, from many different dealers. There is a rule of thumb. NEVER buy it for anything less than $10k MSRP. Period. We will exclude the Raptor from this. Even when the brand new Super Duty came out, my buddy argued with me and said the owner of the dealership himself said "invoice pricing was the best he could do". I told him they were full of crap. He ended up getting $12k off when they were first hitting the lots. It is worth mentioning it was for a loaded platinum. Keep in mind the discounts get higher as the trim gets higher.

With that said, ignore invoice. Ignore holdback. Trust me on this. No one here has any clue as to what the dealer's real cost is. It's all a scam. My family is close personal friends with two dealers in a major Texas city. Both families are extraordinarily wealthy, with personal networth's exceeding $100mm. That didn't happen by selling cars below cost. With the advent of the internet dealers got smart and worked with the factories to conceal things further. There's nothing better than a customer who thinks they are educated. Trust me, none of us are.

Just recently a local dealer had brand new rams (2019) on the lot, they were selling them for $15k off sticker. Do you really think they're losing money on those?

I realize I have not provided any evidence or detailed break down of why what I said it's true. That's because there is no evidence, other than the fact that I have successfully gotten $10k + of on all truck purchases over the last 15 years. I've also helped a lot of friends (who didn't believe me) get great deals. How? I ridiculed them and made fun of them relentlessly. FInally they got the hint and figured it out.

Bottom line: Shop around. Be patient. If it's anything less than $10k off walk away, unless you have to have a truck that day. Don't let them waste their time lying about invoice, and hold back and other crap. Just explain you don't care how they get to that number and you don't want them wasting your time explaining it.

I will be purchasing a Limited with every option minus Rambox and engine block heater. Either granite or billet silver exterior with indigo frost interior. The only thing I can't decide is whether or not to get the offroad package, or piece the protection group together and get the 22s. I will not buy for anything less than $12,500 off.

Hopefully this inspired at least one person to get out there and beat these dealers down. They are not hurting. Trust me. One of our friends has a $20mm jet that he uses weekly to fly to golf courses all over the USA. For those that don't know, each way costs $20-30K in fuel.

EDIT: I just re-read my post and noticed I said "trust me" 3 times. Now I sound like one of them LOL

I never buy under 15 percent off msrp, got over 20 percent off on my Laramie, I will say you are wrong about the higher the trim the more the savings, I see the opposite is true, go try and negotiate that off a new denali or high country, the biggest they discount at gmc and dodge or chevy is the lower end ones, big horn, texas edition, ect

they will lose money on inventory sometimes to meet sales goals

Reaction score
I'm trying to get 20% MSRP on a Limited, but not getting any takers. Is your 20% off BEFORE incentives and rebates?

trainman

Reaction score
2019 Ram 1500 Lonestar Edition, 4x4, tow package, 20" chrome wheels, 5.7 Hemi, other options, List price $49,800, paid $38,600, price was on there website with dealer discount, and all rebates. Wanted to pay cash, but had to finance a small part just to get some of the rebates, can payoff after the fourth payment and no penalty. This dealer adds no upgrades to there vehicles, so what you see is what you pay, hard to find dealers in the Ft. Worth metroplex that don't want to add something to the deal, I went 35 miles north of Ft. Worth to a dealer that does the basic sale, a country dealer.

trainman

4sallypat

Reaction score

^^ Yes this is true.
The dealers do make more money on their service, parts, warranty and add ons during F&I.

@Roddog2220 you are correct - I noticed much larger discounts are given on the lower trims like the Big Horn.

Trying to negotiate a Rebel trim now and the dealer keeps moving the internet prices +/- $1000 every day.
What's up with that pricing ???

Roddog2220

Reaction score
^^ Yes this is true.
The dealers do make more money on their service, parts, warranty and add ons during F&I.

@Roddog2220 you are correct - I noticed much larger discounts are given on the lower trims like the Big Horn.

Trying to negotiate a Rebel trim now and the dealer keeps moving the internet prices +/- $1000 every day.
What's up with that pricing ???

they don't negotiate on the rebel as much ive seen, guessing they are more popular, another suggestion, wait till the last 2 days of the month and just go directly to the store or internet manager, cut out the middleman bs, and it also helps if you dont ever get emotionally attached to a car, I trade every 2 years so it never hurts my feelings to be told no, ive lost 50k deals over a few hundreds bucks and could give 2 cents either way

Users who are viewing this thread