5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

tom318

Reaction score
Invoice minus holdback is pretty decent right out of the gate, and is typically an uphill battle with most dealers. So congrats on that! You are correct that incentives most-likely won’t be all too great on the 2021s once they hit dealer lots September/ October. There might be something, but they won’t be that impressive. Being a Laramie, there’s a better chance of seeing some incentive, compared to the upper trims such as a Laramie longhorn or Limited.

How “custom” is your build? Do you have any options or combination of options that are typically hard to find? I say that because the factory is still pumping out 2020s and will continue to do so until the end of August. So there is a chance that dealers could still receive a 2020 that checks all or most of your boxes.
I’ve been looking for about 6 months and willing to travel anywhere in the country but being that this is a very big purchase for me, I refused to settle for something that isn’t perfect. I really want the 33 gallon tank and the smaller 8.4 screen with WiFi capability. Didn't want tow group because i wanted power fold mirrors so i can fit in my garage. Almost all more equipped Laramie s have the 12'' screen which looks awesome but I just prefer my buttons for climate and seat heat/cool.

My build:
2021 Laramie 4x4 long bed (id take short bed if it had everything else)
Ecodiesel
3.92 gears
Patriot Blue
Sport appearance (+ sport hood delete)
Bed utility
off road group
Laramie Level 2
multi-function gate
33 gallon tank
Panoramic roof
trailer brake controller
rubber floor mats

MSRP: $65318
Pre-incentive offer: $57775 (this was a short bed, long bed another ~$200)

The price the dealer offered should not change and he has informed me of that. If anything it will get better if rebates are available but i just doubt there will be any when these 2021s first arrive. Based on the order sheet, i didn't see any new options for the 2021, all was the same. However, i didn't see olive green or rv match brown available as a color . This is an expensive truck so even though this dealer is awesome and gave me a pre-incentive price i was dreaming of, i would be frustrated if 2020s have 6-7k in rebates at the time and i don't get any of that because its a 2021 even though its the same truck......
I saw they werent planning on building 2021s till end of august which was why i kept trying to push the dealer to order a 2020 but said he couldn't. At some point they have to stop taking 2020 orders, and it seems like that was this week maybe.

rgreener77

Reaction score
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on mine too. Sticker of 68,670 pretty loaded up limited, they have me at 59 OTD. Good amount of discounts and rebates(almost 9k) and over allowing for my trade about 1500-2. I can live with the 22's or sell them to someone that wants them. (wonder how hard that would be). while it's possible I could find a better deal at year end, not likely in the color I want. Patriot Blue seems to be a unicorn.

tom318

Reaction score
Invoice minus holdback is pretty decent right out of the gate, and is typically an uphill battle with most dealers. So congrats on that! You are correct that incentives most-likely won’t be all too great on the 2021s once they hit dealer lots September/ October. There might be something, but they won’t be that impressive. Being a Laramie, there’s a better chance of seeing some incentive, compared to the upper trims such as a Laramie longhorn or Limited.

How “custom” is your build? Do you have any options or combination of options that are typically hard to find? I say that because the factory is still pumping out 2020s and will continue to do so until the end of August. So there is a chance that dealers could still receive a 2020 that checks all or most of your boxes.
I’ve been looking for about 6months and willing to travel anywhere in the country but being that this is a very big purchase for me, I refuse to settle for something that isn’t perfect. Every time I find one that’s c
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on mine too. Sticker of 68,670 pretty loaded up limited, they have me at 59 OTD. Good amount of discounts and rebates(almost 9k) and over allowing for my trade about 1500-2. I can live with the 22's or sell them to someone that wants them. (wonder how hard that would be). while it's possible I could find a better deal at year end, not likely in the color I want. Patriot Blue seems to be a unicorn.

The blue does look great! That sounds like a killer deal! i'm assuming this isn't an order but a vehicle they have on the lot?

rgreener77

Reaction score
I’ve been looking for about 6months and willing to travel anywhere in the country but being that this is a very big purchase for me, I refuse to settle for something that isn’t perfect. Every time I find one that’s c

The blue does look great! That sounds like a killer deal! i'm assuming this isn't an order but a vehicle they have on the lot?
yes, they have had it for a week. I turned them down last week, hoping they would give in and switch out the rims, no luck. Given the lack of what's available and no more orders for 2020, might just got for it. Have to assume if I built a 2021 I wouldn't get anywhere close to that number. And I hear you on looking for a while, I've been searching since early March!

tom318

Reaction score
Based on what your telling me....i say go for it, seems like a great deal. Wheels can be changed easily at any time. Wear the tires down and get a wheel tire package somewhere. Changing the color of the truck plus other options....not so much. I once settled for a car in a color i didn't want...every time i looked at it "boy this would look better in blue".....

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My build:
2021 Laramie 4x4 long bed (id take short bed if it had everything else)
Ecodiesel
3.92 gears
Patriot Blue
Sport appearance (+ sport hood delete)
Bed utility
off road group
Laramie Level 2
multi-function gate
33 gallon tank
Panoramic roof
trailer brake controller
rubber floor mats

MSRP: $65318
Pre-incentive offer: $57775 (this was a short bed, long bed another ~$200)

Based on the order sheet, i didn't see any new options for the 2021, all was the same. However, i didn't see olive green or rv match brown available as a color .

This is an expensive truck so even though this dealer is awesome and gave me a pre-incentive price i was dreaming of, i would be frustrated if 2020s have 6-7k in rebates at the time and i don't get any of that because its a 2021 even though its the same truck......
[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, that is a pretty specific build that I doubt you’d find on a dealers lot.

As far as the incentives, unfortunately, that’s how it is every year when the new model year starts hitting the lots. The previous year trucks typically see the larger discounts where the new model year doesn’t. Granted, 2020 has been quite the year so far, so who knows if/how that’ll change manufacture strategies once the new model year vehicles hit the lots, since there is now going to be this large wave of 2020 inventory hitting the lots to replenish inventories. I’d say, if you’re lucky, you’d typically be looking at *maybe* only about $1000 in incentives on a 2021 Laramie at the beginning of a new model year. Big Horns will be a little more, higher trims a little less, maybe nothing.

And as far as the dealer ordering system, it’s been said that not all new options, packages, etc. have been activated yet to be able to order. So it could very well be that the 2021 ordering configuration isn’t 100% online yet for dealers. Once Ram officially announces/releases the 2021 trucks, I’m sure more selectable options will populate in the dealer system.

One last thing you could do, and I read of a guy on here doing it, is you can see if the dealer has any trucks on order that either don’t have a VIN assigned yet or are still in D status (somebody correct me if I’m wrong) and if they do, they can maybe go in and change the configuration of the build to what you’re looking for.

beemerb0y

Reaction score
just spoke to another SoCal dealer, said they could order a Rebel how I like, it would be a 2021 arriving in 4-12 weeks' time, and they would do $1000 under invoice, which is cheaper than a truck they have on their lot now.

tom318

Reaction score

Ah yes, that is a pretty specific build that I doubt you’d find on a dealers lot.

As far as the incentives, unfortunately, that’s how it is every year when the new model year starts hitting the lots. The previous year trucks typically see the larger discounts where the new model year doesn’t. Granted, 2020 has been quite the year so far, so who knows if/how that’ll change manufacture strategies once the new model year vehicles hit the lots, since there is now going to be this large wave of 2020 inventory hitting the lots to replenish inventories. I’d say, if you’re lucky, you’d typically be looking at *maybe* only about $1000 in incentives on a 2021 Laramie at the beginning of a new model year. Big Horns will be a little more, higher trims a little less, maybe nothing.

And as far as the dealer ordering system, it’s been said that not all new options, packages, etc. have been activated yet to be able to order. So it could very well be that the 2021 ordering configuration isn’t 100% online yet for dealers. Once Ram officially announces/releases the 2021 trucks, I’m sure more selectable options will populate in the dealer system.

One last thing you could do, and I read of a guy on here doing it, is you can see if the dealer has any trucks on order that either don’t have a VIN assigned yet or are still in D status (somebody correct me if I’m wrong) and if they do, they can maybe go in and change the configuration of the build to what you’re looking for.
[/QUOTE]
Great info. Do you know if there is anywhere I could look to view rams incentive history? Like we all know apple release a new iphone each September, do you ram guys just know that every “certain month” the incentives are best? Incentive history may be a tough one since I’m sure they don’t want customers see all the past deals. I feel like if I waited until next year and orders towards the middle of the 2021 production run I could possibly get 5k+ off in rebates but I’ve really only been researching the trucks for a while, not all the incentives. I also don’t want to wait that long and end up with the same deal I’m getting now. But predicting the future seems hard.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great info. Do you know if there is anywhere I could look to view rams incentive history? Like we all know apple release a new iphone each September, do you ram guys just know that every “certain month” the incentives are best? Incentive history may be a tough one since I’m sure they don’t want customers see all the past deals. I feel like if I waited until next year and orders towards the middle of the 2021 production run I could possibly get 5k+ off in rebates but I’ve really only been researching the trucks for a while, not all the incentives. I also don’t want to wait that long and end up with the same deal I’m getting now. But predicting the future seems hard.

Hmm yeah I’m not sure if there is a resource to see past incentives. Typically, the beginning of the model year (late summer/fall) is the worst for incentives and they gradually get better towards thanksgiving, winter, and into the new year.

Since it sounds like 1) you won’t be able to tap into the incentives for 2020; 2) you know the dealer will honor the invoice minus holdback into the future; and 3) you’re not in a huge rush to get the truck, you really don’t have anything to lose by waiting a little bit.

You might get lucky and find a 2020 that matches what your looking for that hasn’t been built yet, but is scheduled (2020s will continue to be built through August). You’ll have a better idea of what new options/packages will be available for the 2021s and may want to add them to your build. And lastly, you’ll be able to see how incentives begin for the new 2021s.

As I said, this has been a crazy year for the auto industry, so who knows if manufactures will be following the regular “norms.”

From what I see, you have nothing to lose by waiting.

FTRO

Reaction score

That is correct, I tried and would have succeed but I ran into the problem of wanting a quad cab. I was informed that only 11% of 1500's they sold are quad cabs. That is what stopped my 2020 order in its tracks and would have made it a 2021. There was no VIN yet and the options could have been changed... But my specific wants was not doable with the remaining parts for 2020 orders left to be made.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Most of us thought that rebates would pick up or be good in April, then May, the June the hoped in July all for naught.
The best rebates thus far were January, February and March then it dried up for the most part. As we've seen thus year, you can't trust incentive history, last year June and July were big, this year, nothing.
I'm of the opinion that FCA may write this year off and incentives will be minimal and certainly not big on 21's.

As others have mentioned, the current new 2019s aren't discounted significantly and that makes me believe that the 2020's won't see big discounts in December. It could very well be January next year before anything changes, RAM is solidly in 3rd place and not gaining on Chevy so they may just hold, I wouldn't bet against that at this point.

I'm working a deal on a 20 Limited now, I'm about 12k off msrp or about 17% off which is the best its been for me since March when I had 25%. The only plus is I've paid off some debt so I'll get a better rate now than then so it may be a wash

Last edited:

FTRO

Reaction score
Apparently, I'm one of the few people left that uses a truck as a "Truck".. loads to the landfill, over loaded with landscape gravel & pallets of Sod (1800+ lbs), etc. Then dragging the bass boat to the lake. That's why I need the 6'4" bed.... But can only fit a quad cab in the garage w/ said bed.
It's my daily driver and my company vehicle for my business. It gets a work out!!
Trading in my 2006 F150 XLT 4X4 w/ 177K+ miles
The quad cab market is super thin right now.... I would have had so many more choices if I could settle for a crew cab.

Crockett

Reaction score
I have been looking since March, and I resigned myself to ordering a 2021. I finally found one that has only one extra item on it, and I did all negotiations over the net. I will be picking it up sometime next week, as they are installing rear wheel well liners as part of the deal. Here is the breakdown:

1500 Bighorn
Quad cab
4x4 Flame Red, Night Edition Package, Level 2 Package
Hemi (non e-torque), 3.92 rear
Trailer Brake Control
33 gal tank
Black side steps (didn’t want these, but wife likes), build date is 6/27.

MSRP 49405
Dealer Discount 3700
Rebates 7250 (both equal 22% off MSRP)

Trade (2014 Subaru with 105,000 mi.) 7300.00, this brought my total to 31,155.
Tax (I’m in PA-6%) 1869
Fees 572
Out the door all costs 33596

I felt it was a good deal for PA. I spent four days negotiating by email. Ordering a 2021 would not have given me the rebates. I had to finance to get all the rebates. The dealer has 28 (27 now) 1500’s on the lot. Twenty-one are quad cabs for those interested.

Paultg

Reaction score
I have been looking since March, and I resigned myself to ordering a 2021. I finally found one that has only one extra item on it, and I did all negotiations over the net. I will be picking it up sometime next week, as they are installing rear wheel well liners as part of the deal. Here is the breakdown:

1500 Bighorn
Quad cab
Trailer Brake Control
33 gal tank

MSRP 49405
Dealer Discount 3700

Tax (I’m in PA-6%) 1869
Fees 572

I felt it was a good deal for PA. I spent four days negotiating by email. Ordering a 2021 would not have given me the rebates. I had to finance to get all the rebates. The dealer has 28 (27 now) 1500’s on the lot. Twenty-one are quad cabs for those interested.
Wow. Wish the rebates in NH were that good! My Laramie only qualifies for $2500 per my zip code. Congrats on the new truck! Good color choice!

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score

1500 Bighorn
Quad cab
Trailer Brake Control
33 gal tank

MSRP 49405
Dealer Discount 3700

Tax (I’m in PA-6%) 1869
Fees 572

Congrats on the truck! I'm curious though since you had to finance to get your rebates, what rate did they finance you at? Was it through Chrysler or one of their banks the dealer has a relationship with?

rgreener77

Reaction score
just spoke to another SoCal dealer, said they could order a Rebel how I like, it would be a 2021 arriving in 4-12 weeks' time, and they would do $1000 under invoice, which is cheaper than a truck they have on their lot now.
Hell, if I could get that on a 2021 Limited it would be a no brainer

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I’d jump on that If you haven’t already! That is probably going to be the best you can do on a 2021 in the Rebel trim. only bummer will be waiting until late September/October to take delivery!

beemerb0y

Reaction score
I’d jump on that If you haven’t already! That is probably going to be the best you can do on a 2021 in the Rebel trim. only bummer will be waiting until late September/October to take delivery!

thats the problem. Want to buy the truck, a travel trailer, and enjoy summer camping

MrB

Reaction score
So... on 6/30 I signed a contract for a 2020 1500 Limited for $7000 off MSRP + rebates/incentives at the time of delivery. Or at least my contract says it was a 2020. Today my dealer gives me my VIN number and it looks like a 2021 to me 1C6SRFPTXMN500... It will be interesting to see if they honor my contract that says 2020 not 2021.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thats the problem. Want to buy the truck, a travel trailer, and enjoy summer camping

Sounds like you're going to have to weigh buying now and paying a higher price vs. ordering and waiting and paying a somewhat lower price.

That being said, just in the last few days, there has been a huge increase in trucks leaving the factory. So with inventories increasing you might be able to a) find a 2020 that matches what you're looking for; and b) find a dealer who is willing to deal.

I've been doing a nationwide search for a truck, and have been doing a daily search. With this search, I've also been tracking inventory levels. My search parameters are a Big Horn with the Built-to-Serve Package. As you can see from the graph below, just within the last three days there has been a steady increase in trucks matching my search query being built and populating the Ram Inventory system.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 08.17.16.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 08.17.16.png
    23 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread