5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

ALLiN

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

What do you guys think about this deal?
2020 Big Horn
MSRP 48,665
$1000 down
42/12
$499 with taxes included

Thanks.

SCasey89

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

What do you guys think about this deal?
2020 Big Horn
MSRP 48,665
$1000 down
42/12
$499 with taxes included

Thanks.

There was another member that posted a similar 42 month lease deal the other week...at 42 months, you’re going to be out of warranty for 6 months.

ALLiN

Reaction score
There was another member that posted a similar 42 month lease deal the other week...at 42 months, you’re going to be out of warranty for 6 months.
Understood, just wondering from a lease perspective what others with leasing experience thought about the math.

Brian7

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
New guy here. Trying to buy my first pickup ever and I want it to be a RAM. I have owned a lot of cars. I have literally been at this for a couple of months now. This has been the hardest car deal I have ever tried to make. I cannot remember getting a final OTD price that was significantly more than MSRP. Usually, vehicles, even luxury ones (maybe especially so) are severely discounted. I even tried some lightly used 2020s and the prices are very close to new. My wife and kids have had enough of me. Is this just how the truck/Ram market is? I am attaching window sticker for the truck I am interested in. Salesman saying OTD at $64K and I said no way. Waiting to hear back. What are your thoughts? Live in south Florida.
Thanks,
-Brian

Attachments

• Night Edition Aventura.pdf
    95.7 KB · Views: 56

Jeepdinger

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
New guy here. Trying to buy my first pickup ever and I want it to be a RAM. I have owned a lot of cars. I have literally been at this for a couple of months now. This has been the hardest car deal I have ever tried to make. I cannot remember getting a final OTD price that was significantly more than MSRP. Usually, vehicles, even luxury ones (maybe especially so) are severely discounted. I even tried some lightly used 2020s and the prices are very close to new. My wife and kids have had enough of me. Is this just how the truck/Ram market is? I am attaching window sticker for the truck I am interested in. Salesman saying OTD at $64K and I said no way. Waiting to hear back. What are your thoughts? Live in south Florida.
Thanks,
-Brian

No, it's just south florida. There are a few people who have commented in this forum on south florida. You can search for it but I haven't seen anything positive about that area. Must be too many people with more money than sense down there. If you want a deal, better look north. Best of luck. I did quote a RAM at university dodge, wow, never seen so many add-ons. market is not very good right now for a deal, you may need to wait if you want a good deal. or order from some of the dealers who give up front pricing. Best of Luck.

Keezer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thanks,
-Brian

Yeah, that is too much, ordered a 2020 Laramie loaded (no air) 66,200 MSRP with dearler discount and rebates was low 52k plus TTL.

Skater

Reaction score
I do not know the south Florida market at all, but I can tell you even in west Texas, where the market is tough, there are at least minimal factory discounts, financing discounts, and regional discounts. Sometimes those discounts are not much. Actually, most of the time in this part of the country those discounts are not much, so I typically travel to Phoenix where discounts OTD after negotiation are typically between 10% -20% below MSRP, even on Rams ordered from the factory.

My best advice is to travel north like Jeepdinger said. Try GA, NC, or VA. Koons in Tyson's Corner, outside of DC, is a major player in the market and typically can give you a good deal.

Second best advice, I know this is a very long thread, but you have been at this for a month, so read the thread above, at least the last couple of month's worth of posts. There is a lot of really good information in this thread and it will answer your questions.

Good luck. (y)

EDIT: Welcome to the forum! You will find really great and knowledgable folks in here really willing to help in any way they can. Once you get your Ram, I suspect you will spend a lot of time in here learning how to modify it to suit your taste.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thanks,
-Brian

Your out the door price is higher than MSRP because it includes TT&L
That said, you shouldn't be paying MSRP, closer to 49-51 on that truck

Jeepdinger

Reaction score
When I had a quote done at University RAM (Davie, Fl) they had the following fees in the fine print. I walked. ridiculous. university ram fees.JPG

Skater

Reaction score
When I had a quote done at University RAM (Davie, Fl) they had the following fees in the fine print. I walked. ridiculous. View attachment 60815
Wowzer! $399 to wax it (should cost $30), $299 to etch the VIN (Ebay for $30), $899 for pre delivery service (fill it up, check fluids, and test the brakes) and $289 to fill in the blanks on an electronic form to register a vehicle. Smart to walk. I would have "ran" out of there after leaving them with a few very choice words. That is not to mention, what the heck is Third-Party Agency Fee? Who are they paying and for what?

Clean13

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thanks,
-Brian
My man, I'm in a similar starting situation: Trying to buy my first truck ever too and I can't believe how difficult they are making it. I'm used to pinging a dealer, getting a starting price nailed down and then we go back and forth until we have an agreed upon OTD (usually all through emails). With Ram, half the time, I can't even get a dealership to respond to the inquiry I make on their website...and when I do, their starting prices is so shrouded in mystery and rebates that I may or may not qualify for, it takes 6-7 mails just to get the actual starting price extracted from them (which is always considerably higher than their "everyman" price on the website). It's incredible...I've never struggled this much to give someone $40K+ in my life.
I just spent two hours and 8+ emails with AutoNation, just to finally nail down their price (which ended up not including a rebate they currently list on their website that is apparently no longer valid (?)). I'm about ready to quit and just walk away for awhile until this market either corrects itself or I develop more patience.

Brian7

Reaction score
Your out the door price is higher than MSRP because it includes TT&L
That said, you shouldn't be paying MSRP, closer to 49-51 on that truck

BowDown,
Yes, I understand that, and thank you for the reply. My point is that I have owned a good amount of new cars and with TT&L, I never, in my memory, surpassed the MSRP. The bottom line in my mind is that the discounts are not good enough if this is the case.

Brian7

Reaction score
Wowzer! $399 to wax it (should cost $30), $299 to etch the VIN (Ebay for $30), $899 for pre delivery service (fill it up, check fluids, and test the brakes) and $289 to fill in the blanks on an electronic form to register a vehicle. Smart to walk. I would have "ran" out of there after leaving them with a few very choice words. That is not to mention, what the heck is Third-Party Agency Fee? Who are they paying and for what?

Jeepdinger,
University Dodge (Rob Lambdin) has been the worst of the worst! I went there to see 2 RAMs and left. I asked for pricing and they didn't want to share with me. They told me that I might show it to the competition and they would see how University prices. I said you are absolutely correct I might show the competition, I didn't create this ridiculous game, the car dealers did and I am stuck in the middle. He did finally send me a pic of numbers with the explanation of what they were cut off and he got upset with me when I asked to see the line items listed. I told him I was looking for fair and transparent pricing and the guy actually told me, "well I am not the salesperson for you!" The salesman fired me. You can't make this stuff up.
-B

Brian7

Reaction score
I want to thank all of you for helping me out. You really clarified my thoughts around this and I will look out of state. I will post a pic of the new truck when I get it.
-B

Trendybull

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Thanks,
-Brian
This was the spec that I was originally in the market for, was finding dealers around me in the PNW going for around 20% off msrp with a little negotiation, 25% was a bit harder, then I was able to strike on a limited for a price I couldn't say no to which ended up being about 30% off msrp ($66,800 down to $47,300 +ttl) This was just with standard incentives everyone could get other than a $500 conquest for owning a Tundra.
Deals can be had. Just do most of your leg work via email, you'll find someone to bite.

Brian7

Reaction score
My man, I'm in a similar starting situation: Trying to buy my first truck ever too and I can't believe how difficult they are making it. I'm used to pinging a dealer, getting a starting price nailed down and then we go back and forth until we have an agreed upon OTD (usually all through emails). With Ram, half the time, I can't even get a dealership to respond to the inquiry I make on their website...and when I do, their starting prices is so shrouded in mystery and rebates that I may or may not qualify for, it takes 6-7 mails just to get the actual starting price extracted from them (which is always considerably higher than their "everyman" price on the website). It's incredible...I've never struggled this much to give someone $40K+ in my life.
I just spent two hours and 8+ emails with AutoNation, just to finally nail down their price (which ended up not including a rebate they currently list on their website that is apparently no longer valid (?)). I'm about ready to quit and just walk away for awhile until this market either corrects itself or I develop more patience.
Clean,
We are in exactly the same boat. That has been my experience in that they won't even answer me. Thursday, I found one that I liked in Aventura Florida, The salesman was like ducking me all day and he finally tried to call me back at 9:30 PM! Texted me that me couldn't meet my offer after that.
-B

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
This was the spec that I was originally in the market for, was finding dealers around me in the PNW going for around 20% off msrp with a little negotiation, 25% was a bit harder, then I was able to strike on a limited for a price I couldn't say no to which ended up being about 30% off msrp ($66,800 down to $47,300 +ttl) This was just with standard incentives everyone could get other than a $500 conquest for owning a Tundra.
Deals can be had. Just do most of your leg work via email, you'll find someone to bite.

Where and when was this?

Brian7

Reaction score
I do not know the south Florida market at all, but I can tell you even in west Texas, where the market is tough, there are at least minimal factory discounts, financing discounts, and regional discounts. Sometimes those discounts are not much. Actually, most of the time in this part of the country those discounts are not much, so I typically travel to Phoenix where discounts OTD after negotiation are typically between 10% -20% below MSRP, even on Rams ordered from the factory.

My best advice is to travel north like Jeepdinger said. Try GA, NC, or VA. Koons in Tyson's Corner, outside of DC, is a major player in the market and typically can give you a good deal.

Second best advice, I know this is a very long thread, but you have been at this for a month, so read the thread above, at least the last couple of month's worth of posts. There is a lot of really good information in this thread and it will answer your questions.

Good luck. (y)

EDIT: Welcome to the forum! You will find really great and knowledgable folks in here really willing to help in any way they can. Once you get your Ram, I suspect you will spend a lot of time in here learning how to modify it to suit your taste.

Thanks, Skater, read some of the older posts already but went back. Found a salesperson at Koons someone else had luck with and I reached out to him this morning. Appreciate the help!
-B

ST9

Reaction score

I am in the same boat. I can't believe people won't take money in a reasonable sense. I think waiting is the best bet. You might be like me and have to travel a bit to get the deal you/I want however even with the travel costs, it is still significantly cheaper. I think Ram is playing up this made up demand because in Jan/Feb they were offering good deals. Seems like this mindset might change by Aug/Sept. Hard to predict.

ST9

Reaction score
BTW, thanks all for the help and pointing me to ID dealers, definitely better pricing than in CO. The wife thinks it is crazy having to travel to ID, to get a deal. Boggles the mind that this is more work than buying a house in a 1st world country.

Users who are viewing this thread