5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you sir! Did all the negotiations through texting the sales manager, including my trade by just sending pics of it. Drove 2 hours to the dealer to sign paperwork and was on my way, no haggling at the dealer!

thats the only way to do it, that’s how I did mine too the past 3 times. Found a dealer Within driving distance, showed up, paid, and bounced. Hour or so at the dealer and done.

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Preparing to pull the trigger tomorrow but believe I have a good deal with 26% off MSRP before TTL. Had to hunt for quite a while to find it and sacrifice an option or two I wanted.

2019 Limited 4x4 CC 5’-7” box
Granite Crystal

$69,295 MSRP
($13,426) “Savings”
($5,750) “Rebates”
$1,147 Dealer Accessories (aka BS markup)
$51,266 Subtotal (26%)
$280 Fees
$3,582 Sales Tax
$55,128 Total (20.4%)

I’m told this includes all fees, tag transfer and title. But I need to find out how they got to their sales tax amount which is only 6% here in FL plus $250 county sales tax which would total $3,326 using the subtotal figure above.

They tried at first telling me the “dealer accessories” was for window tint, locking lug nuts, bedliner, and a pin stripe. When I explained the trim package included a bedliner and there was no pin stripe, they reduce it by $250 and said they have to make money somehow. Normally I’d be inclined to buy elsewhere out of principle but haven’t found anyone close to their price. Hopefully the final paperwork tomorrow matches up with everything they’ve provided thus far but I wouldn’t put it past them to try and slip something in.

That’s nearly an identical deal I got in June, 2019 for my Limited. MSRP 69,040 and paid $50,489 plus tax, title & License.

Congrats on your truck and welcome to the club
41b50f428ae77fb30cabddb88e32eace.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morenar

Reaction score
The first dealer I went to finally located one in the config I want but 450 miles away. This is where they are at. What do you guys think?

1580324288669.png

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The first dealer I went to finally located one in the config I want but 450 miles away. This is where they are at. What do you guys think?

View attachment 45248
at the minimum, you should be able to get those fees that total almost $1,500 to zero. even an attorney wouldn't charge that much to complete the paperwork involved in buying a new car lol

Maconi

Reaction score
I think that’s a lot of fluff. 15 is A stretch, most the good deals are in the 12-13 range with 10-11 being the normal ‘decent deal’.

you got a lot of people posting here who dont understand how it works, and a lot of people posting about June deals when there were crazy rebates and people were seeing close to 30% in total.

plus if there’s a trade the whole thing can be skewed.

the dude above this just posted some crazy sounding numbers, but can’t supply any kind of quote. I’m not saying it’s a lie, but I am saying there’s no proof of said deal.

if you are wanting a good deal vs needing a truck, you should just wait until better rebates come along. unfortunately the rebel doesn’t usually get much.

I wouldn't accept anything less than 20% if you're buying fully loaded (around $70,000 MSRP) although obviously the % discount probably varies depending on the trim.

I found tons of trucks around that discount % and a couple way lower (they sold before I could jump on them though, not sure if bait-and-switch or not). I even got 0% 60 month financing. I traded in an old beater car I had (15 years old, over 100,000 miles, body damage, etc.) which is why I only got $1,000 on the trade-in (wasn't a competitor's truck so I didn't get that rebate either). You can look up my VIN if you want to confirm MSRP ($68,900). I got 13% off MSRP and then another 7.5% off in rebates (which works out to roughly 20% total off MSRP) plus the 0% 60 month financing.

MN4g6AI.png

TIGWelder

Reaction score
Just browsing the web site of my local dealership. The truck I am looking at, 2020 big horn with an MSRP of $53,150. I was able to click on all of the discounts I wanted to apply which totaled to $6750 bringing the price to $46,400. Which is a 13.5% reduction. The webpage even made a good offer on my trade in from KBB.
In regards to your post SilverSurfer15, where 10-15% is a good deal, having not stepped into a showroom yet and not had to haggle one bit yet I feel like there is more movement is this price and my research says at least another 3-4k on the table assuming the best possible deal to be had. Am I wrong?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was talking about the dealer discount not the total. Yes your total discount will probably be around 20%, but you can’t look at that number because it varies so much depending on your rebates. Location rebates, military, trim specific rebates, etc.

the 10-15% is before rebates. 13-15% seems to be the GREAT deals, but I’d say anything over 10 is still not bad. I wouldn’t sweat 1-3% on a truck I really wanted to buy if everything else was right.

so you will get your 10-15% discount, and then most people will pick up ~4K on rebates which will get you ~18-23% off MSRP in total.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
I now appreciate that glorious day in late June when I was able to walk into the showroom and plant my **** in a seat and demand 30% off MSRP on a $65K loaded Laramie. Sure, it took me nearly 2 hours of working the house, but they caved, and life was good. Anyone think we'll see that again in 2020 or was June 2019 a one time fluke?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hope so, I’m literally buying two lol. I’ve never seen that crazy of a rebate before on anything, but who knows?

llackey23

Reaction score
Okay gang - Here is my configuration - Can you y'all give me some targets of where I should be before rebates?

MSRP - $63,580
HB - $1,857
FFP - $57,726
EP - $55,521

My price - $58,233 + $500 Deposit - $58,733 before rebates.

How close should I realistically be able to get to $55,521? Should I join Tread Lightly for their discount?

attachment 1.png

MiiisterAnderson

Reaction score
Just browsing the web site of my local dealership. The truck I am looking at, 2020 big horn with an MSRP of $53,150. I was able to click on all of the discounts I wanted to apply which totaled to $6750 bringing the price to $46,400. Which is a 13.5% reduction. The webpage even made a good offer on my trade in from KBB.
In regards to your post SilverSurfer15, where 10-15% is a good deal, having not stepped into a showroom yet and not had to haggle one bit yet I feel like there is more movement is this price and my research says at least another 3-4k on the table assuming the best possible deal to be had. Am I wrong?

Sounds similar to my build. For reference:

Quoted $42,705 (cash) or $44,705 (0% thru CC) on a 2020 BH CC w/ 6'4" bed. These prices include $2500 in national rebates & $205 in doc fees. MSRP was $54,190, so financed price is 12.8% off MSRP exclusive of rebates.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Okay gang - Here is my configuration - Can you y'all give me some targets of where I should be before rebates?

MSRP - $63,580
HB - $1,857
FFP - $57,726
EP - $55,521

My price - $58,233 + $500 Deposit - $58,733 before rebates.

How close should I realistically be able to get to $55,521? Should I join Tread Lightly for their discount?

View attachment 45338

I’d say you should be able to buy this truck close to that EP, it’s about 13% off. Nothing over 56.5k here IMO. I’d push for Around 56 flat.

TIGWelder

Reaction score
Sounds similar to my build. For reference:

Quoted $42,705 (cash) or $44,705 (0% thru CC) on a 2020 BH CC w/ 6'4" bed. These prices include $2500 in national rebates & $205 in doc fees. MSRP was $54,190, so financed price is 12.8% off MSRP exclusive of rebates.
That (42k) is about the ballpark number I was hoping to get close to or under to get me to pull the trigger.

MiiisterAnderson

Reaction score
That (42k) is about the ballpark number I was hoping to get close to or under to get me to pull the trigger.

If you are paying cash at a larger volume dealer, I'd say with your build being slightly cheaper, you should be able to get it depending on how you are paying. The way I look at it, I save $600 by financing at 0% thru CC (interest for a non-CC loan came to around $2600-ish). So I'll forgo the $2K cash bonus for the financing not to pay cash for the truck. Let's face it, it's a depreciating asset, so I'm not really "saving" anything! :)

blue tom

Reaction score
The part of this thread I don't understand is all the back-and-forth bickering about whether someone really got that price and can prove it, and whether they understand the price they're paying and reporting and whatnot. Like, this is just supposed to be a thread of basic data points to give prospective buyers a glimpse into what the current market for these vehicles seems to be at a given point in time and locale.

Look at the original post that started it. The only way this is helpful is if you tell us the trim you bought, where you bought it, the MSRP from the window sticker, the dealer discount, the rebates and total value of said rebates (which is variable based on location and qualifications), and the final sale price. Not anything about taxes. Not an "out-the-door" price. Not dealer fees (which should always be as low as possible and vary by state). Not monthly payment. Just list price. Rebate value. Dealer discount. And when you subtract the latter two from the first one, we should arrive at your sale price. That's the number people care about, and that's the number they'll use to try to calculate a "percentage off" that they can brag about.

And at the end of the day, who cares if it's even correct? Dude A says he bought a $70k truck for $50k. Other Dude B goes into his local dealership and says, "Good day sir, I'll take one $70k Limited for $50k, my good man." And the dealer laughs and says no. And then Dude B commences typical negotiations until either he's happy with the proposed price or the dealer runs out of room to discount it further. You should take the reports in this thread with a grain of salt. It's more information that you would have otherwise, but it doesn't necessarily inform anything about what you will pay for the truck of your desires.

I provided my report a while back in this thread, but just as an example, my more condensed report would simply read like this:

Date: Jan 13, 2020
Truck: 2020 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab 5'7" 4x2 Hemi eTorque
MSRP: $61,945
Dealer Discount: $13,946 (22.5%)
Rebates: $4500 purchase incentives (i.e., not lease cash)
Sale Price: $43,499 (30% off)

That's all you need to know for the purposes of this thread. And then, if you're interested in additional information about my deal, you could ask questions about the equipment in my build or the dealer where I bought it or why I got such a smokin' hot deal. Sure, ask if the numbers were moved around to accommodate a higher trade value, or whether I'm an FCA employee. I just don't think it's useful to suggest that my numbers are wrong or to ask me to provide some proof of said numbers or anything negative and condescending. The numbers I just provided are accurate and they provide a semi-useful data point among many others. It gives you a sense for what at least one truck—at one time in one location—sold for. Not what you can expect to pay, but just...a data point.

That's all I have to say about that.

Users who are viewing this thread