5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Ottawa Dave

Reaction score
Just order a 2020 Longhorn Crew Sbox 4X4 (mostly loaded) here in Ontario for MSRP $79,980 Cdn. Payed $63,305 (20.8% total discount). Does not include freight/ac/taxes.

Basically $8000 in RAM discounts and $8,675 dealer discounts.

I had a 2013 Longhorn as trade which I did well with at $22,000 (140km). Most other dealers were more like $20k.

Final all in OTD $48,900. Cash deal.

$63,305 - $22,000 trade + $1,895 freight + $100 ac) = $43,300 + 13% tax = $48,900

No complaints. 3 other dealers couldn't get even close to the deal I got.

Last time I did $8000 RAM discounts + $9000 dealer but they did get me paying $700 in admin fees.

ryan74701

Reaction score
This truck has been on there lot for at least 4 months, it a 2019, they are going to have to lower the price way more to get someone to buy a 2019 model when 2020’s have about the same discounts. What would be a fair offer?

Kornfrk2727

Reaction score
This truck has been on there lot for at least 4 months, it a 2019, they are going to have to lower the price way more to get someone to buy a 2019 model when 2020’s have about the same discounts. What would be a fair offer?

I’d try for 30% off msrp

Morenar

Reaction score
Looking to buy a 2020 Rebel pretty much loaded and the dealer I am working with I previously purchased a Sierra at, they are removing all dealer fees. I feel I can still get more off the MSRP than the 9.5%. What do you guys think?

Retail Price: 62,290
Taxes and fees: 4,888.6
Savings/discounts: 5,990
Rebates: 3,000
OTD: 58,188.60

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking to buy a 2020 Rebel pretty much loaded and the dealer I am working with I previously purchased a Sierra at, they are removing all dealer fees. I feel I can still get more off the MSRP than the 9.5%. What do you guys think?

Retail Price: 62,290
Taxes and fees: 4,888.6
Savings/discounts: 5,990
Rebates: 3,000
OTD: 58,188.60
You should be able to double the discount, I’d walk away from that deal if that’s the best they can do

Morenar

Reaction score
Yeah I told them it wasn't where I wanted to be at and told them to call me back if they decide they can do better. Still have 7 days before the end of the month, lets' See. I have another dealer looking at finding me the same or close the same config as this one and getting back to me on Monday.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I told them it wasn't where I wanted to be at and told them to call me back if they decide they can do better. Still have 7 days before the end of the month, lets' See. I have another dealer looking at finding me the same or close the same config as this one and getting back to me on Monday.
Nice man be patient! I’ve always done negotiating through email with dealers. Not sure where you’re from if you’re around the Maryland area, but I could give you the phone number to a no hassle salesman that I got my truck through

Grouper

Reaction score
Do I have less of a bargaining chip when the vehicle is not on their lot but another dealership?

Same question. My local dealer is five minutes away. There's a truck at a dealer an hour from here that while not configured exactly as I'd choose if I ordered, is close enough that I could be happy with it.

Wondering if I should email my local dealer with the VIN of the truck that's an hour away and ask them what they can do.

NJMyth

Reaction score
Same question. My local dealer is five minutes away. There's a truck at a dealer an hour from here that while not configured exactly as I'd choose if I ordered, is close enough that I could be happy with it.

Wondering if I should email my local dealer with the VIN of the truck that's an hour away and ask them what they can do.

My dealer was much more willing to negotiate on a truck an hour away at another dealer than on a new build. Getting the truck from the other dealer cost me about $400 more than a similar MSRP truck they had on the lot and about $500 more than if I got the truck from the dealer that had it on the lot. $500 more to purchase from a dealer that is a mile from my house and who we leased a Grand Cherokee from last year was more than worth it to me.

RJS

Reaction score
Do I have less of a bargaining chip when the vehicle is not on their lot but another dealership?
My guess it really varies by dealer and how bad they want to sell the truck. I had trouble with a Silverado I bought a number of years back as the dealer I initially spoke to about the truck was local and the dealer I eventually bought from was 25 miles away. The local would not trade the one I wanted to the other dealer because he was convinced that because he had an inquiry about it there might be a sale. The one I bought came from another dealer about 90 miles away.

My 19 Laramie (bought August 2019) came from 300 miles (one way) away from my local dealer that traded for it because it was the one I wanted. They seemed to be more interested in selling than the distance. I believe I got the same deal because I inquired about a twin to my truck, except red vs white, that we were dealing on and was sold before I got the paperwork signed. He said that was as far as they had got to trade one but, I suspect they did it because it was a loaded Laramie $62K sticker.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As others have said, it depends and every dealer trade might be different. Ideally, the dealer swap wouldn’t add any costs to the vehicle, making the price no different to you. But you’ll never really know if that’s true or not.

my biggest concern with a dealer swap is that 9 times out of 10, they drive the vehicles to the other dealer, so that puts miles on the vehicle, and you never know how much fun the dude was having on the drive back to the dealer in your soon to be brand new ram. I drove 2 hours to go pick up my truck so that no one else would drive it lol. I might be a little anal tho....

lunchboxphil

Reaction score
I first test drove my 2019 Rebel in Nov 2018 and bought it in May 2019. Yes, it was 6 mos, but it was not getting much action with all the incentives on the trim levels. I was watching and my patience paid off. Only had 70mi on it and 40 were from me. I actually had to warranty the steering wheel for lot rot. Started with about a 4% discount and ended up happy with my 19% discount in the end.

RJS

Reaction score
my biggest concern with a dealer swap is that 9 times out of 10, they drive the vehicles to the other dealer, so that puts miles on the vehicle, and you never know how much fun the dude was having on the drive back to the dealer in your soon to be brand new ram. I drove 2 hours to go pick up my truck so that no one else would drive it lol. I might be a little anal tho....
Probably just a bit anal, around here the dealers drivers are generally retirees that earn extra money, so I'm not concerned but the next time you go to buy a new vehicle, just ask yourself, was the 9.8 miles on it a test drive or the owners youngest son seeing how much air he could get under the wheels on the closest overpass a few times.

Morenar

Reaction score
My guess it really varies by dealer and how bad they want to sell the truck. I had trouble with a Silverado I bought a number of years back as the dealer I initially spoke to about the truck was local and the dealer I eventually bought from was 25 miles away. The local would not trade the one I wanted to the other dealer because he was convinced that because he had an inquiry about it there might be a sale. The one I bought came from another dealer about 90 miles away.

My 19 Laramie (bought August 2019) came from 300 miles (one way) away from my local dealer that traded for it because it was the one I wanted. They seemed to be more interested in selling than the distance. I believe I got the same deal because I inquired about a twin to my truck, except red vs white, that we were dealing on and was sold before I got the paperwork signed. He said that was as far as they had got to trade one but, I suspect they did it because it was a loaded Laramie $62K sticker.

That's the problem I am going to face. The local dealer that quoted me the high price above located the Rebel at a dealer 35 miles away. I hit that other dealer up last night to see what they could offer. May make it difficult for the local dealer to bargain if the other dealer as a lead on someone interested.

Bulldog1337

Reaction score
Reposting this question I put in the ordering forum earlier today.

Question about Rebel 12 price

I know this is very similar to other posts, but trying to check my bearings real quick.

Went back and forth between the Laramie and Rebel, even thought about possibly ordering a Laramie. Made up my mind that the Rebel is the way.

Anyways, haven't even started any kind of negotiations and they emailed me a price of $47k after rebates and dealer discounts, with tax and tags $49k. MSRP for this truck is $62,880.
Black appearance package, Rebel 12, Level 2 equipment, Sunroof, and 4 corner air suspension.

This was somewhat hard to find the Rebel with the 4 corner air suspension so I don't have a lot of room to leverage other offers since this was 1 of 2 I could find in a 75mile radius.

So, we're already looking at 22% off the sticker price out the door, how much lower do you think I can go? Floated the idea of 46k out the door. Is that unreasonable?

Thanks in advance.

Morenar

Reaction score

I know this is very similar to other posts, but trying to check my bearings real quick.

Went back and forth between the Laramie and Rebel, even thought about possibly ordering a Laramie. Made up my mind that the Rebel is the way.

Anyways, haven't even started any kind of negotiations and they emailed me a price of $47k after rebates and dealer discounts, with tax and tags $49k. MSRP for this truck is $62,880.
Black appearance package, Rebel 12, Level 2 equipment, Sunroof, and 4 corner air suspension.

This was somewhat hard to find the Rebel with the 4 corner air suspension so I don't have a lot of room to leverage other offers since this was 1 of 2 I could find in a 75mile radius.

So, we're already looking at 22% off the sticker price out the door, how much lower do you think I can go? Floated the idea of 46k out the door. Is that unreasonable?

Thanks in advance.
Definitely jump on that deal. I can even get that close with the MSRP $62,290 that I am working off of. What rebates did you qualify for?

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.
Can you post the rebates? Or better yet just the whole sales quote they sent?

Users who are viewing this thread