5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Fmrchvy

Reaction score
You did good (y)

Do you know what your actual dealer discount was before rebates? And which rebates you got?
I know they had it listed at $42,900 with all rebates. However, I attained my own financing prior to arrival because I don’t trust dealers and Chrysler Capital are sharks. I got $500 for Active Military, $1,000 USAA (which they said cancelled out Military) I had a Silverado so they gave me $1000 for showing that paperwork, $500 Labor Day cash as well.

After I got them down to pretty low, I sprung the fact that I already had finance on them. They took away the Chrysler Capital Rebate. They tried to get me to apply for financing 4 times using 3 different people. I stood my ground and walked out after taxes at $43,137 with a Laramie. I arrived fully expecting to drive out in a Big Horn. After some negotiations and explaining I needed to have those LED lights in my life (none of their Big Horns has them), I began negotiating for the Laramie. One big help, it’s the end of the month and the salesman showed me his cards when he told me they missed their truck goal in July.

I don’t know how fully optioned out it is...has 8.4 inch screen with Alpine, bed package and anything I could ever want in a truck. I feel like I practically stole it.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know they had it listed at $42,900 with all rebates. However, I attained my own financing prior to arrival because I don’t trust dealers and Chrysler Capital are sharks. I got $500 for Active Military, $1,000 USAA (which they said cancelled out Military) I had a Silverado so they gave me $1000 for showing that paperwork, $500 Labor Day cash as well.

After I got them down to pretty low, I sprung the fact that I already had finance on them. They took away the Chrysler Capital Rebate. They tried to get me to apply for financing 4 times using 3 different people. I stood my ground and walked out after taxes at $43,137 with a Laramie. I arrived fully expecting to drive out in a Big Horn. After some negotiations and explaining I needed to have those LED lights in my life (none of their Big Horns has them), I began negotiating for the Laramie. One big help, it’s the end of the month and the salesman showed me his cards when he told me they missed their truck goal in July.

I don’t know how fully optioned out it is...has 8.4 inch screen with Alpine, bed package and anything I could ever want in a truck. I feel like I practically stole it.

Good deal, enjoy!

Nowatruckguy

Reaction score
Think I did about as good as I could do...
No trade in bonus cash or truck conquest, no USAA or military discount or Penfed, so I didn't havs a lot of the $500/$1000 bonus cash that a lot of people got on here. Basically I was getting the bighorn 15% and then dealer negotiations.

MSRP 52150
Paid 37398 before tax
Total 28.3% off msrp

I'm happy! Felt like I couldn't have gotte any better!

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think I did about as good as I could do...
No trade in bonus cash or truck conquest, no USAA or military discount or Penfed, so I didn't havs a lot of the $500/$1000 bonus cash that a lot of people got on here. Basically I was getting the bighorn 15% and then dealer negotiations.

MSRP 52150
Paid 37398 before tax
Total 28.3% off msrp

I'm happy! Felt like I couldn't have gotte any better!

That’s an excellent deal considering you didn’t have all the extra rebates! Looks like the dealer discount is about 13.2% here, so that’s about as good as it gets. Well done!

Nowatruckguy

Reaction score
That’s an excellent deal considering you didn’t have all the extra rebates! Looks like the dealer discount is about 13.2% here, so that’s about as good as it gets. Well done!
Thank you! This forum helped tremendously in knowing what to look for! I couldn't believe the deal I got, I was counting on the 15 plus 10%ish dealer, end of month probably helped my cause.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you! This forum helped tremendously in knowing what to look for! I couldn't believe the deal I got, I was counting on the 15 plus 10%ish dealer, end of month probably helped my cause.

I think they’ve loosened the purse strings a bit now that the trucks have been out awhile. It was hard to get 8-10% on most trims back around the beginning of the year. At least in the south east, don’t know where you are.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
Not mine, but brought a friend to my dealer/salesperson where I bought mine and helped him. Yesterday he drove home a new Bighorn, MSRP 53,930, final price 41,000 even OTD, and he leased. I have no idea how the lease plays into that figure. Do not know exact dealer discount / bank discount / rebate breakdown.

Reaction score
The question is would you wait until next June to purchase a '20. I will be in the market Jan/Feb timeframe. I could just get a beater for 3 or 4 months or should I work towards a deal. Right now through just email feelers it looks like 66k to 57k on a limited.

LouCap

Reaction score
The question is would you wait until next June to purchase a '20. I will be in the market Jan/Feb timeframe. I could just get a beater for 3 or 4 months or should I work towards a deal. Right now through just email feelers it looks like 66k to 57k on a limited.
There's no guarantee they'll repeat the crazy June deals, but it might be worth waiting to see. I bought mine in June, and now I just look at the current sales and smile. Roll the dice, wait and see!

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

markc

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recent info/experience with researching/purchasing a Tradesman model? I've got my eye on a 4x4 hemi tradesman and was kind of hoping to buy this weekend, but the discounts online are very weak, $1000 customer cash and $500 retail bonus cash, which in many cases makes the Lonestar/Bighorns cheaper with their 15% plus some extra bonus cash. I would hope that there's actually some kind of unadvertised discount or incentive, but maybe not.

Cross88

Reaction score
MSRP: $54,595
No trade in, no taxes (FL has an awesome military out of state registration policy).
OTD: $45,000
Purchased in Las Vegas, NV.

Attachments

• 55EA25F0-DB4A-4B80-A298-409350E11501.png
    55EA25F0-DB4A-4B80-A298-409350E11501.png
    337.6 KB · Views: 52
Reaction score
Yep so I am a FL resident when I moved there, it is my SoL (State of Legal Residence) when I received orders forcing me to move from my residence in FL, Iam exempted from paying tax while serving those active duty orders out of state(reserve orders have different requirements). If I were a resident of a different state yet trying to register in FL, I would absolutely be avoiding taxes, but as long as I maintain my FL license and voter status in FL the tax exemption is legal. I've talked to JAGs and used this on over 5 vehicles with no problems or kickback from my county's DMV. Now if I was on orders in a bordering state, and I drove the vehicle into FL then I would have to pay taxes. The paper picture you put is is required paperwork to sign and send in amongst 5 or 6 others. There are times a dealer has done it for me and other times I've gotten a car with no plate, and wait to drive it until FL sends me a temp tag and registration. There are a few dealers who kickback on the whole process due to their lack of knowledge on the process, but the law is pretty clear and on the side of the service member in this case.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep so I am a FL resident when I moved there, it is my SoL (State of Legal Residence) when I received orders forcing me to move from my residence in FL, Iam exempted from paying tax while serving those active duty orders out of state(reserve orders have different requirements). If I were a resident of a different state yet trying to register in FL, I would absolutely be avoiding taxes, but as long as I maintain my FL license and voter status in FL the tax exemption is legal. I've talked to JAGs and used this on over 5 vehicles with no problems or kickback from my county's DMV. Now if I was on orders in a bordering state, and I drove the vehicle into FL then I would have to pay taxes. The paper picture you put is is required paperwork to sign and send in amongst 5 or 6 others. There are times a dealer has done it for me and other times I've gotten a car with no plate, and wait to drive it until FL sends me a temp tag and registration. There are a few dealers who kickback on the whole process due to their lack of knowledge on the process, but the law is pretty clear and on the side of the service member in this case.

That’s not how I read this form at all. Some states you have to pay sales tax on the vehicle even if you bought outside of the state. So twice basically, this form is stating that you don’t have to pay FL sales tax since you are stationed outside the state (and implies that you paid sales tax on the car already). It says on the form, in the two bullets at the bottom, that you are to pay sales tax in one of the states. The form is titled “exemption from FL sales tax”, not all sales tax. It then goes on to talk about penalties for not paying/avoiding sales tax.

So if the state you are buying in doesn’t wave auto sales tax for out of state military resident purchases, it would be a violation.

Reaction score

The key to this is " I recognize that I owe tax to the state in which the motor vehicle was purchased, unless a specific exemption applies. "

If you go to that link, and click the "All Motor Vehicle Forms in Single PDF File" and read about the exemptions at no point when completing the paperwork is their a requirement or expectation to pay a sales tax on the vehicle in another state. Yes is some states you pay a sales tax regardless of where you register the car if you choose to buy a car from those states you pay those taxes. States like Oregon however do not have a sales tax for certain exemptions, and therefore you claim a legal tax exemption while on orders outside of FL. If I were to move back to FL then I have to go to the DMV and now pay taxes on the vehicle which I previously claimed exemption to. The paperwork denotes exactly what you need to send in but does not include proof of taxes paid out of state. The process was updated in 2008. Don't take my word for it however, I don't want a Wesley Snipes situation to occur from my advice. If a service member has questions call the local DMV and talk to your JAG, thats what they are there for and what I did as well.

Edited for grammar and additions

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The key to this is " I recognize that I owe tax to the state in which the motor vehicle was purchased, unless a specific exemption applies. "

If you go to that link, and click the "All Motor Vehicle Forms in Single PDF File" and read about the exemptions at no point when completing the paperwork is their a requirement or expectation to pay a sales tax on the vehicle in another state. Yes is some states you pay a sales tax regardless of where you register the car if you choose to buy a car from those states you pay those taxes. States like Oregon however do not have a sales tax for certain exemptions, and therefore you claim a legal tax exemption while on orders outside of FL. If I were to move back to FL then I have to go to the DMV and now pay taxes on the vehicle which I previously claimed exemption to. The paperwork denotes exactly what you need to send in but does not include proof of taxes paid out of state. The process was updated in 2008. Don't take my word for it however, I don't want a Wesley Snipes situation to occur from my advice. If a service member has questions call the local DMV and talk to your JAG, thats what they are there for and what I did as well.

Lol at Wesley snipes.
Agreed on this, do not take legal advise from me either.

Reaction score
The lesson learned is it doesn't matter how much you save on taxes when you buy a Jag because you're going to lose so much money in depreciation that they cost of taxes won't even make you blink.

Combee1

Reaction score
Just purchased a Billet Laramie Crew 4x4 with ORG here in FL. I had not read through this thread entirely, but went to dealer with the idea that a 10-12% dealer discount over 3% holdback and any rebates available was a fair price. No trade in and my own financing:

MSRP: $61,675
Options: $13985
Sticker: $59,980K (excludes dest fee $1695)

$47830 sale price (before TT&T) = 20% off MSRP (I calculated this as a nearly 14% dealer discount, but see below on rebates)
$49,525 w/ dest charge ($1695) added back in
$52,968 w/ tax
$53,400 w/ TT&T
$5400 ($600 cash back for new tires which the dealer is putting on this week with a 2" level kit)

I did not qualify for any additional rebates that have been listed here over any regional/national incentives. I saw on another dealer's site that there may have been a Southeast $1500 cash, and a Chrystler Capital $500 rebate, so I included those into my pre-calculations. On my Buyer's Order, the dealer listed $4950 in "Rebates", but who knows what those are, because there are a lot of funny numbers on that agreement that got us to the bottom line of $54K OTD. If that "Rebates" number is correct, then the dealer discount is only around 6%. I'm convinced the true number lies somewhere in the middle.

The dealer had it listed online "Final Price" of $49,938, a miscalculated "$12,702 dealer discount". Of course, that tends to be a teaser to get you in the door, and typically they throw a bunch of fees on top of that. So I was pleased with over $2K off of that and none of the haggling with fees. I pre-calculated where I needed to be OTD for that 10-12% discount, and from the moment we started talking, I dealt with only an OTD price. I left the dealer twice, once to "sleep on it", and the second because they were insisting I needed to finance with them to get the price we had negotiated. Total time at the dealer was about 4 hours over a 5 day period.

I will decline to name the dealer, because the owner is a friend of a friend, and in the end, I think that actually played a part in getting the deal done. I'm sure others on here have done better, but it was relatively painless, and I'm really comfortable with the outcome. And of course, I love the truck.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score

So I think I figured this out, and what you were saying. With most purchases you owe sales tax where you buy it. But with cars, you owe sales tax where it’s registered. So you buy out of state, you aren’t obligated to pay any taxes in Nevada or wherever because the vehicle is not being registered there. So then on the form I attached, you are recognizing that you owe Nevada sales tax (there just isn’t any), and then you have satisfied all of those bullets legally. A bit confusing...

Thanks for helping me understand this (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/