5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

flynfish

Reaction score
I just bought a Laramie Sport MSRP at $65xxx and out the door was $513xx with the dealer installing stationary running boards. I think you can do better. Do a search on cars.com and other sites to find the truck you want. You may have to travel a little bit.
Where are you located?

Also, did you get the miltary cash, non prime and truck conquest rebates? I can't get any of those so I wonder if 12k off is the same deal you got without the extra cash rebates.

Last edited:

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
So I went to a dealer to test drive a fully loaded 1500 Limited I was interested in. I called the dealer and was quoted a price of $57k, the online MSRP was listed at $71k (inc. destination). After the test drive the salesman told me I wasn't qualified for all the discounts that dropped the price to $57k and the best they could do is $60k + fees. I told him I needed to be closer to the $57k number which I was told is not possible. I really don't need a Limited but it was the only model I could find that hit all my check boxes. I didn't offer a trade-in at the time but between my girlfriend and myself, we have 3 paid-off vehicles we can negotiate with.

I may entertain a trade-in offer but I think waiting might be a better option. If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear feedback.
(PS - I found this thread to be extremely beneficial)

Rambro23

Reaction score
So I went to a dealer to test drive a fully loaded 1500 Limited I was interested in. I called the dealer and was quoted a price of $57k, the online MSRP was listed at $71k (inc. destination). After the test drive the salesman told me I wasn't qualified for all the discounts that dropped the price to $57k and the best they could do is $60k + fees. I told him I needed to be closer to the $57k number which I was told is not possible. I really don't need a Limited but it was the only model I could find that hit all my check boxes. I didn't offer a trade-in at the time but between my girlfriend and myself, we have 3 paid-off vehicles we can negotiate with.

I may entertain a trade-in offer but I think waiting might be a better option. If anyone has any thoughts I would love to hear feedback.
(PS - I found this thread to be extremely beneficial)
Get a Laramie Sport, it'll be worth more on the resale market as the Limited is too blingy with all that chrome and stitching inside.

Tundralag

Reaction score
Get a Laramie Sport, it'll be worth more on the resale market as the Limited is too blingy with all that chrome and stitching inside.
Wow that’s really bad advice. Trust me if you drove two trucks one Laramie and one limited to any dealer on the planet you will get substantially more for a limited on trade or private sale

tomsic07

Reaction score
$65,565 MSRP
$52,705 Purchase price
Has black appearance, running boards, spray bedlinen, 12 inch screen, level two, safety, pano sun roof, wheel liners, floor mats, and just about everything else you can put on.
So 13k off the Laramie 4x4 5'7 box.

Spooky8712

Reaction score
$65,565 MSRP
$52,705 Purchase price
Has black appearance, running boards, spray bedlinen, 12 inch screen, level two, safety, pano sun roof, wheel liners, floor mats, and just about everything else you can put on.
So 13k off the Laramie 4x4 5'7 box.
Looks like a solid deal.

rrbhokies

Reaction score
That makes absolutely no sense......how can a truck that costs less, is less equipped ever be worth than a Model a couple of tiers higher?
It can't. You can do a KBB on a Laramie with all the options, and a base limited, and the Limited will show a much higher resale value. I bought a fully loaded Laramie at $64k which was only a few thousand less than a similarly equipped Limited. Like the original poster, I preferred the more subdued nature of the Laramie over the "bling" of the Limited. That said, I knew I was taking a big risk because at resale time, especially if you trade it in, the value of the Laramie will only be based on the base MSRP with very little value given to all the options. Essentially, I walked out the door extremely upside down. But I think that as long as the RAMs hold their value, anyone that purchases one (especially with June's 30% discounts), should be in pretty good shape within 3 years if they decide to trade it in. That's my take at least.

borden72

Reaction score
Where are you located?

Also, did you get the miltary cash, non prime and truck conquest rebates? I can't get any of those so I wonder if 12k off is the same deal you got without the extra cash rebates.
I am in Virginia Beach but I purchased from Chesapeake Virginia. I don't believe I received those rebates. They didn't list them separately. They claim i was in the 20% off and dealer discount.

Snicklefritz_76

Reaction score
@ Sightfisht - I guess chrome is a matter of taste. I agree it does look great on the 1500 but the models I'm looking at have the painted bumpers (Blacked out / Sport) with very little chrome.

@ jstew - my intention was a Laramie Sport, they are just getting very hard to find these days in my area (east cost) with the options I'm looking for. I think the dealer discounts are a little better on the Laramie as well.

@ Tundralag/LimitedGRR - my thoughts were also on resale/retention value as well. Although the carbon fiber on the steering wheel is really cool I could take or leave the fancy interior stitching. My only interest in getting a limited would be if it came with a huge discount. The resale value of the Limited really holds up, but only slightly better than the Laramie. Attached is a picture of two similarly equipped vehicles from from VIN look-ups on iseecars .com (Laramie has the same features as the Limited minus the pano moon-roof )

Attachments

• 1500-dep2.jpg
    1500-dep2.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 40

DraKhen99

Reaction score
@ Sightfisht - I guess chrome is a matter of taste. I agree it does look great on the 1500 but the models I'm looking at have the painted bumpers (Blacked out / Sport) with very little chrome.

@ jstew - my intention was a Laramie Sport, they are just getting very hard to find these days in my area (east cost) with the options I'm looking for. I think the dealer discounts are a little better on the Laramie as well.

@ Tundralag/LimitedGRR - my thoughts were also on resale/retention value as well. Although the carbon fiber on the steering wheel is really cool I could take or leave the fancy interior stitching. My only interest in getting a limited would be if it came with a huge discount. The resale value of the Limited really holds up, but only slightly better than the Laramie. Attached is a picture of two similarly equipped vehicles from from VIN look-ups on iseecars .com (Laramie has the same features as the Limited minus the pano moon-roof )

Carbon fiber on the steering wheel in a Limited? Nah, it's the same striped wood that's on the dash and doors.

The big differences between the Laramie and Limited, beyond the Limited having a lot of standard equipment which is optional on the limited, are:

1. Leather is nicer, with filigree stitching
2. Real wood on dash/doors/steering wheel
3. Chrome window and body side moldings
4. Extra sound deadening

Is it worth a few grand? To the right buyer, sure. I priced out a loaded Laramie and it was about $5k less than a comparably-equipped Limited, but for me, the difference was worth it.

-John

Tundralag

Reaction score

The list you show is projected depreciation.. who knows it may be correct... I would never tell anyone what to buy.. or what their ride is worth.. that's on them... But After owning cars, trucks etc. all my life, I will tell you that projected depreciation and what you will get NADA or trade is two different things.. Longhorns and Limited's will not be as readily available in 3 years like the Lone Star and other lower end vehicles... (based on my search the last few years on cars.com) for instance On my last Ram 2016 Eco Diesel, I got lucky and sold it during the non production year.. Got damn near what I paid for it... but there were almost none available for sale (cars.com) in the upper trim levels luckily I found the guy that had to have a Diesel and wanted to pay the price..

I guess in the end if there are 1000's of green apples for sale and you have the only red one.. you might get more for it.. Same with Limited vs lower trim levels.

Rambro23

Reaction score

Based off this the Limited costs $7700 more than the Laramie and is only worth roughly $3K more... so I stand by my statement.

flynfish

Reaction score
Got 9,900 off 63,600 MSRP Laramie. It was supposed to be 11,600 off but then they said I couldn't get all the discounts with the 0% 3 yr APR incentive. Not sure if they pulled a fast one on me...I almost walked out.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^ no that’s true, you can’t use the “bonus cash” deals with the finance deals. Unless it specifically says but 99% of the time you either take the 2500 or so rebate or the financing

Reaction score
I've been pricing pretty much loaded Laramie, Limited, & Longhorns in the configurator, all with the exact same specs I'm looking for. The step up from Laramie to Litd is only about $1,800 MSRP:

Laramie / Ltd / Longhorn

2wd $60.7 / 62.5 / 64.4

4x4 63.8 / 65.6 / 68.8

Not sure why the bigger gap from Ltd to Longhorn in the 4x4 as opposed to the 2wd, but you get the idea. Mostly loaded out they're pretty comparable in price, just different looks. So if there's a big difference on resale value then paying a little more to step up seems like a good idea. YMMV

Last edited:
Reaction score
Got 9,900 off 63,600 MSRP Laramie. It was supposed to be 11,600 off but then they said I couldn't get all the discounts with the 0% 3 yr APR incentive. Not sure if they pulled a fast one on me...I almost walked out.

Yeah, as someone else noted, the fine print can stink. But at 0% for 36 mo, someone paying 10% down with no trade in would save more on interest than that $1700 discount if their alternative rate was 2.9% or higher.

Rambro23

Reaction score
That makes absolutely no sense......how can a truck that costs less, is less equipped ever be worth than a Model a couple of tiers higher?
It makes sense if someone wants a loaded Laramie Sport and there aren't as many for sale on the market as there are in Limited trim. There you go. At the end of the day, it's all hypothetical.

Users who are viewing this thread