5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

Cerino2000

Reaction score
Ended up buying more local, some 50 minutes and 1 dealer away. Much better sales experience, in and out with truck in 2 hours and had 3 test drives in there as well. F&I didnt even ask about extra crap like many dealers do... I am not shilling for the dealer, (Kernersville Ram) I will just say us old farts prefer face-to-face. It was for the wife and saved me 9 hours of driving...
You mind sharing the deal? They are local to me and I’m in the market. Curious as to how close they got to Koons’ deal.

Stasek

Reaction score
Have been looking at the new Rebel for the last few months. (northern Illinois). Sticker is 61k but the lowest I can get the dealer to go is 53k. Is there less room for the dealer to move on the Rebels? Keeping hearing 18% to 20% off sticker is where you want to be but I've walked out on two dealers already. Thoughts?
Problem with Rebels is that the manufacturer rebates are almost non-existant (well, maybe $1-$2k, vs something like $6-7k on a Big Horn.
Did you try Tyson in Shorewood? I haven’t bought mine yet, but did talk to them few months back and they were pretty straight forward.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You mind sharing the deal? They are local to me and I’m in the market. Curious as to how close they got to Koons’ deal.
Basically the same (58 and change vs 58 and change) after all costs. DC is a reciprocal tax state so they charged tax and licensing fees same as (obviously) NC did. I also had checked with Laura Ram (per a recommendation on a 5th gen thread), they are outside of St Louis MO and had pretty good pricing as well. MO isn’t reciprocal so there were no taxes in his order price.
Like I said, I didnt have a pleasant negotiating experience (over email/text) with the DC dealer due to the freight/delivery issue. As a result I “walked” electronically and ignored all further attempts at prices. For all I know they lowered costs in subsequent communication but after the bad taste and knowing I had a 9 hour RT drive to make, it was over.

I will say that the DC truck was slightly better optioned, had a trailer brake controller, E Locker (vs anti-slip) and the 33 gallon tank. All that would have been great if I towed but this is a grocery getter and trip vehicle. The aforementioned options that the local dealer did not have (E Lock, brake controller and 33 gal tank) were worth about $800. Also the DC dealer had 20’s, which was my preference, but now I have the “higher value” 22’s so maybe its all a wash.

Not to throw dirt at the DC dealer but be very careful of stated pricing and incentives. The local dealer came down another $200 after the sales manager came out to talk to me, that and the 1 hr drive vs 9 hours was key. Plus my salesman has been at the family owned dealer for 24 years, so those small things count for something to an old guy like me.

hammer722

Reaction score
Problem with Rebels is that the manufacturer rebates are almost non-existant (well, maybe $1-$2k, vs something like $6-7k on a Big Horn.
Did you try Tyson in Shorewood? I haven’t bought mine yet, but did talk to them few months back and they were pretty straight forward.
That makes sense. I actually did connect with Tyson. They have exactly what I'm looking for but the price was still a little higher than I wanted. Might just have to wait until fall when the 2020 comes out.

Last edited:

DraKhen99

Reaction score
JimKHunt - I was put off by them (K) not including freight (delivery, $1695) in their advertised “discounted” price, then slipping it back in after the subtotal. I walked on that.

All of the dealers around the DC area (which is where I'm located) seem to do this. I counter this by having an out-the-door number I don't plan on budging from. Maybe a few hundred, but certainly not enough for them to roll in the destination charge.

And it's not just RAM dealers - the Ford dealers around here do it too. Ugh.

-John

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
All of the dealers around the DC area (which is where I'm located) seem to do this. I counter this by having an out-the-door number I don't plan on budging from. Maybe a few hundred, but certainly not enough for them to roll in the destination charge.

And it's not just RAM dealers - the Ford dealers around here do it too. Ugh.

-John

I’m kinda beating a dead horse (need the emoticon for that) but $1695 is not only excessive freight IMHO but its a rude shock when you think you have a firm quote. I agree with your “out the door” number, I was using the car buying price (and lets be realistic, for years now True Car has NOT been a really deeply discounted price) and it had the correct doc fees (799 = ripoff) and freight (1,695) in there. To make things even funnier (not really), when I pointed out to the rep that the car buying price had a $200 higher delivery fee in it (dealer had quoted $1495), the rep emailed back apologizing for the error and RAISING his price by $200! Now he hadn’t even seen me so it could not have been the “I am really stupid” tatoo I have on my forehead... LOL

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Laramie Crew cab 6'4 bed
Window sticker $50,065
Price paid $36,930

Sparky305

Reaction score
2019 Laramie 1500 with:

V8 (non e-tourqe)
3.92 axle
33 gallon fuel tank
E locker
Off road package
Sport appearance package
Level 1 equipment group
Bed utility group
Navigation
Under seat storage
Trailer brake control

MSRP $57,050
Dealer price $52,023 ($500 below invoice) not including any incentive upon delivery.

Located in Northern California.

6ab59c37c0964eb7cb8f0358e24e041a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can anyone clarify if the indicated "invoice" price here is actually the invoice price? I have an order sheet like this one. The note at the bottom clearly states "This is not an invoice." I am eligible for FCA Affiliate pricing. I was told the invoice should include a price labeled as "PP". As on this sheet, I only see the two total prices, HB, FFP, and EP. I am just trying to make sure i am getting legitimate information.

cdancidhe

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in GA (around Atlanta) and just got my Ram this past weekend. It was a lot of work (internet/emails/phone calls) to get this deal together with a good trade-in value and finance.

2019 1500 Longhorn 4x2
Extras: Delmonico Red, Customer Preferred Pkg, Advance Safety Group, Longhorn Lvl 1 Equipment, Hemi and the Air Suspension.
Dealer extras (payed them $0): Lifetime power train warranty, some seat/paint protection, and some other bs :)

MSRP: $60170
Discounts: $5305
Rebate: $4300
Price: $50565

Where I got more than the other dealers was with the trade-in, as this dealer gave me 31400 vs the 28k from everyone else.

At least in the Atlanta area only this and another dealer were at a competing level. All others were 3-4k above this and with a low trade value. The truck listed above was my second choice (the other one had lockers, 3.92 gears, and e-torque, no air suspension). My first choice fell through on the finance as some of the incentives go away when you dont finance with GM or whatever the dealer uses. I wanted a rate that matched my credit union. With this dealer I lost 2k on incentives for that same reason, but when I started to walk away they compensated with trade-in and somewhere else, and match the % rate I wanted.

All and all, very happy.

Tdaf22

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am in GA (around Atlanta) and just got my Ram this past weekend. It was a lot of work (internet/emails/phone calls) to get this deal together with a good trade-in value and finance.

2019 1500 Longhorn 4x2
Extras: Delmonico Red, Customer Preferred Pkg, Advance Safety Group, Longhorn Lvl 1 Equipment, Hemi and the Air Suspension.
Dealer extras (payed them $0): Lifetime power train warranty, some seat/paint protection, and some other bs :)

MSRP: $60170
Discounts: $5305
Rebate: $4300
Price: $50565

Where I got more than the other dealers was with the trade-in, as this dealer gave me 31400 vs the 28k from everyone else.

At least in the Atlanta area only this and another dealer were at a competing level. All others were 3-4k above this and with a low trade value. The truck listed above was my second choice (the other one had lockers, 3.92 gears, and e-torque, no air suspension). My first choice fell through on the finance as some of the incentives go away when you dont finance with GM or whatever the dealer uses. I wanted a rate that matched my credit union. With this dealer I lost 2k on incentives for that same reason, but when I started to walk away they compensated with trade-in and somewhere else, and match the % rate I wanted.

All and all, very happy.
I am in Atlanta looking for a similarly equiped 1500. What dealership did you purchase from?

cdancidhe

Reaction score
I am in Atlanta looking for a similarly equiped 1500. What dealership did you purchase from?

I went to Paulding in Dallas GA. I work with their internet sales deparment: Elizabeth and Nichole. The other dealer with a deal was Gwinnett.

I used the Cars.com app to hunt for deals, then email the different dealers with the app for prices and went from there. Gwinnett and Paulding had the best deals but Pauling for sure has the best customer service.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
JimKHunt - I was put off by them (K) not including freight (delivery, $1695) in their advertised “discounted” price, then slipping it back in after the subtotal. I walked on that.
Don't know who you dealt with but all my communication was via email and all inclusive and spelled out. Mine was an order, not stock. Actually got a small check from them as they over estimated sales tax in GA. In any case it appears you got a deal you could live with. That's all that matters.

Wheeler

Reaction score
I got this offer yesterday

2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
MSRP $53820
After Rebate $44678
OTD $49285

I have perfect credit, at 800, for 60 months with 0 down $911

How much room do I have to negotiate?
Another 2 to 3 grand at least

Hemidakota

Reaction score
Can anyone clarify if the indicated "invoice" price here is actually the invoice price? I have an order sheet like this one. The note at the bottom clearly states "This is not an invoice." I am eligible for FCA Affiliate pricing. I was told the invoice should include a price labeled as "PP". As on this sheet, I only see the two total prices, HB, FFP, and EP. I am just trying to make sure i am getting legitimate information.
HB is Dealer holdback.
FFP is friends family participant
EP is employee pricing

Cerino2000

Reaction score
Basically the same (58 and change vs 58 and change) after all costs. DC is a reciprocal tax state so they charged tax and licensing fees same as (obviously) NC did. I also had checked with Laura Ram (per a recommendation on a 5th gen thread), they are outside of St Louis MO and had pretty good pricing as well. MO isn’t reciprocal so there were no taxes in his order price.
Like I said, I didnt have a pleasant negotiating experience (over email/text) with the DC dealer due to the freight/delivery issue. As a result I “walked” electronically and ignored all further attempts at prices. For all I know they lowered costs in subsequent communication but after the bad taste and knowing I had a 9 hour RT drive to make, it was over.

I will say that the DC truck was slightly better optioned, had a trailer brake controller, E Locker (vs anti-slip) and the 33 gallon tank. All that would have been great if I towed but this is a grocery getter and trip vehicle. The aforementioned options that the local dealer did not have (E Lock, brake controller and 33 gal tank) were worth about $800. Also the DC dealer had 20’s, which was my preference, but now I have the “higher value” 22’s so maybe its all a wash.

Not to throw dirt at the DC dealer but be very careful of stated pricing and incentives. The local dealer came down another $200 after the sales manager came out to talk to me, that and the 1 hr drive vs 9 hours was key. Plus my salesman has been at the family owned dealer for 24 years, so those small things count for something to an old guy like me.
ThanksI used Koons for leverage (thx Craig!) and got my local dealer to pretty much match them and better yet this local dealer came in $4000+ higher than anyone else would on my trade. Very happy with the deal. So $10k off sticker and happy with the trade value. Worked out great.

P.S. these dealerships dont want to work for nothing, they want your trades so cheap that they don’t have to work to sell it for $3-$5k profit easily. Just pathetic! Yeah I want easy money free too but I have to work for it. Maybe they should try the same. I know.... beating a dead horse. The dealer I went through did really well, though.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I’m really happy for you that the trade value went up considerably. I didnt have a trade and thats always a dealer by dealer thing, do they want yours, is it going to be wholesaled, do you have negative equity, is the market “hot” for what you have etc...
Also the more that you advertise a specific color that you want (which I had to) the more the dealer knows that you are somewhat restricted to moving on. I don’t doubt that I could have done better on a black/black truck but then I’d be walking home, ha ha...

BadgerBoy

Reaction score
I am looking at the Quad Cab, 4 X 2, Big Horn. Quad cabs are somewhat limited in availablility around here. A dealer a couple hours away has one listed MSRP: $44625 -- Sale Price: $34139. One of the things I noticed looking at the sticker is that it has the V8 etorque with a list price of $1995. Ram website shows it at $2645. Any idea on why the difference?

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I am looking at the Quad Cab, 4 X 2, Big Horn. Quad cabs are somewhat limited in availablility around here. A dealer a couple hours away has one listed MSRP: $44625 -- Sale Price: $34139. One of the things I noticed looking at the sticker is that it has the V8 etorque with a list price of $1995. Ram website shows it at $2645. Any idea on why the difference?
Yep, thats what the build sheet online is charging, $2645. No idea why the dealer has that price but then again, my first attempt at buying a lot truck had delivery $200 less than it was and the dealer wanted to upcharge me for their mistake, so watch out.

Users who are viewing this thread