5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Price negotiated from MSRP

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Whats otd?

OTD = Out The Door

Also referred to as OTR (On The Road).

Either way, it's a total dollar figure which represents everything required to take delivery of a new or used vehicle, including (but not limited to) taxes, tags, title, registration, dealer fees. (prep/delivery/advertising/etc.)

-John

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am trying to follow the process and get dealers bidding against each other - but either this is very specific by region or my stars are not aligned! Originally I was trying to order a Limited, eTorque, ORG truck but my dealer kept having items not available. So I have given up on getting the eTorque and by doing that there are trucks on dealer lots or I can still order.

I have scoured the state (California) for models that meet most of my criteria. I have reached out to 5 dealers indicating I am buying by this coming weekend and others are making offers, etc... Limited, ORG, Pano, Level 1, Ram Boxes, 33 gallon tank.

Best dealer offer so far on an MSRP of $67,200 is $8,000 in dealer incentives and the $1.250 consumer cash. So $9,200 off MSRP of $67,200.

I don't qualify for any of the other rebates I have seen. Potentially the March national rebates will be better since it's pretty slim for the Limited right now - regardless I can't get into a dealer until this coming Sat as traveling out of state this week on business. The larger dealer discounts are all on models with the tow package and thus no electric folding mirrors or 360 camera (which one dealer told me they are now getting stuck with).

Is this the best I can hope for in California on a Limited?

That is about what I paid for in NY. I would figure NY and CA would be very similar. Pretty much the same setup. Ramboxes, Level 1, Pano, etc. MSRP was $68K, OTD $56,250 +TTT = $60,543. Dealer tried to sneak in a quick $299.90 but I caught it and he removed it after I said, YES, it is negotiable.

I wanted a truck that was nowhere in NY, NJ or CT. I ended up doing a factory order. I did the email process I mentioned earlier, and made it clear to them that this would be an easy sale, witout having to actually house a truck on their lot and day one dime to finance it to be there, or take up their time (2 hrs) to sit and meet with me. They can use that time to meet with others and make another sale. So, the "game" will still work in your case as it did in mine. They may not be dying to move a truck on their lot for dirt, dirt cheap, but they can still make a pretty effortless sale and get one more truck towards their quota.

V8Spock

Reaction score
I am trying to follow the process and get dealers bidding against each other - but either this is very specific by region or my stars are not aligned!

You’re basically trying to flush out the dealership that needs to move one or two trucks to reach their hidden sales goal. That could be a monthly, quarterly or yearly goal (hence the need to wait until the last week of either). It can take 6 or more dealerships to be successful.

Of the 13 that I contacted, 5 didn’t want to play at all. A few would only talk in the dealership (no way) and 4 gave me a competitive OTD bid over the phone. The winner was $4000 lower than the next highest on a similar truck.

$61,256 MSRP
$51,239 OTD (includes all fees, dest and TTT, no trade)
Picked it up on Dec 31.

The info in this thread (specifically pages 50-60) is worth it's weight in gold. Literally saves thousands of dollars you get to keep.

RebelGuy

Reaction score
I bought my Rebel from a guy named Carl Wilhelm at Criswell CJDR in Gaithersburg MD. I am looking into upgrading to a 2109 Rebel. He gave me his website address www.theram1500ranch.com so I could keep track of any specials they have. His discounts look good and seem legit. He's a good guy who doesn't play a lot of games with the pricing like the other dealers in my area.

Carlmyman

Reaction score
In September when I stopped in to look, not buy the Ram 1500 CCSB Longhorn had a sticker of $48,xxx. After 8 hours of back and forth, what do I want to pay, what do they want for the truck, etc, blah, blah, blah. I left out the door for $38,3xx. I guess I was there on the right day, end of month, end of quarter and they wanted to get 1 last sale in. Anyway, I was a GM man, retired after 32 yrs and can finally say, "Yes, I have a Hemi" lol.

Attachments

• 20180930_111642.jpg
    20180930_111642.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180930_111735.jpg
    20180930_111735.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180930_111745.jpg
    20180930_111745.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 35

Jr2121

Reaction score
Finally signed the PA.
Limited 4x4 short box
22s, Diamond Black, pano, level 1, Rambox, trailer brake, hemi, anti-spin
Msrp - $68,300
Discount - $9,658
Dealer Price - $58,642
Rebate - $1,250 cash back + $500 realtor = $1,750 total
Price - $56,892
TTL - $180 doc, $473 reg, $2,856 tax
$3,509
OTD - $60,401
16.7% under msrp before ttl

I was between this local dealer (actually in my town) vs Chicago (5 hours away).
Chicago dealer was an order (6-8 weeks).
Chicago, I get the rebates when it arrived. They backed out on honoring current rebates (which aren’t relatively high so I wasn’t worried about them going down. I figure worst case scenario they are the same).
The local dealer found one just getting ready to show up at another dealership (not sure where) and apparently worked a trade or something with them. It just so happened to be the exact truck I wanted less the bedsteps. I signed today (Monday) it will be here Friday at the latest. With Friday being the first of March, I got them to lock this rebate, but honor the March rebate if it’s better.
So got it pretty much immediately, and get to have the coin flip chance next month has a better rebate.
I really wanted to get to 18% or better, but I felt after a few weeks this was the best deal I was going to get.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally signed the PA.
Limited 4x4 short box
22s, Diamond Black, pano, level 1, Rambox, trailer brake, hemi, anti-spin
Msrp - $68,300
Discount - $9,658
Dealer Price - $58,642
Rebate - $1,250 cash back + $500 realtor = $1,750 total
Price - $56,892
TTL - $180 doc, $473 reg, $2,856 tax
$3,509
OTD - $60,401
16.7% under msrp before ttl

I was between this local dealer (actually in my town) vs Chicago (5 hours away).
Chicago dealer was an order (6-8 weeks).
Chicago, I get the rebates when it arrived. They backed out on honoring current rebates (which aren’t relatively high so I wasn’t worried about them going down. I figure worst case scenario they are the same).
The local dealer found one just getting ready to show up at another dealership (not sure where) and apparently worked a trade or something with them. It just so happened to be the exact truck I wanted less the bedsteps. I signed today (Monday) it will be here Friday at the latest. With Friday being the first of March, I got them to lock this rebate, but honor the March rebate if it’s better.
So got it pretty much immediately, and get to have the coin flip chance next month has a better rebate.
I really wanted to get to 18% or better, but I felt after a few weeks this was the best deal I was going to get.
That's about the exact setup I have except the anti slip and I went for each work and 3.92. same price within a couple hundred dollars. Curious to see how you make out February vs March. Good luck! Mine was ordered and got my VON yesterday

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Mechaero19

Reaction score
2019 Laramie
MSRP 57,130
Negotiated 51,000
Additional Rebates: 7000
OTD 44,000
Lease Residual: 32,564
Money Factor; 0.001800 (4.32%)
Lease payment: $420/month

Attachments

• untitled.pdf
    93.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Cjennings

Reaction score
Laramie

Msrp 58
Final 44 + kansas Tax (almost 5 k....err)
OTD 49 with 75k bumper to bumper and 3yrs of systemic oil changes

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cover the auto industry for the Wall Street Journal (hoping the site admin doesn’t deem this spam cuz it’s not, really). I’m writing an article about rising prices for full-size pickups & the features buyers are willing to spring for. Would love to get some thoughts from a few ’19 Ram owners about their reasons for purchase.
Please contact: mike dot colias @ wsj dot com

The reason I purchased was due to the quality improvements, the much larger cab size and comforts, the increased capability to tow more in a 1500 due to efficiency and also the new e-Torque, and the fuel savings by this having a more aerodynamic body and the mild hybrid. Joel

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason I purchased was due to the quality improvements, the much larger cab size and comforts, the increased capability to tow more in a 1500 due to efficiency and also the new e-Torque, and the fuel savings by this having a more aerodynamic body and the mild hybrid. Joel

1. Increased towing made me upgrade from my current 1500 truck ('13 Avalanche Black Diamond)
2. Interior - no longer feels like driving a pickup. Now pickups are equal to luxury SUV's.
3. Ram over Chevy or Ford - interior luxury, loaded with features, towing load.
Was never a Ram fan, actually didn't see anything that would make me really look into them before. But once I saw the 2019 Limited 1500, I was blown away. Then when I went back to look at Sierra Denali's and Silverados - they looked all plastic and less ****pit like, more old station wagon-ish.

Mechaero19

Reaction score
which rebates did you get ?
1. Increased towing made me upgrade from my current 1500 truck ('13 Avalanche Black Diamond)
2. Interior - no longer feels like driving a pickup. Now pickups are equal to luxury SUV's.
3. Ram over Chevy or Ford - interior luxury, loaded with features, towing load.
Was never a Ram fan, actually didn't see anything that would make me really look into them before. But once I saw the 2019 Limited 1500, I was blown away. Then when I went back to look at Sierra Denali's and Silverados - they looked all plastic and less ****pit like, more old station wagon-ish.

I can agree with reason #3. I didn't even want to consider a Ram truck, until I actually paid a visit to the local dealer, and saw the Laramie. I was truly in love with the GMC Sierra Denali. But they offered no rebates, or deals. Then I considered the Chevy Silverado. I wanted the RST, oh my god, the craftsmanship and wuality was horrible. Hands dows the Ram was the bes choice.

djwdjw

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any intelligence as to how to negotiate an end-of-lease situation (i.e. a potential purchase of a new RAM for example)? There have to be a lot of people turning in vehicles at lease end but the subject of how and where to negotiate does not get much play.

I am interested in any strategies, as I don't have much experience with it, and am seeking knowledge. There does not seem to be much written about this (i.e. fightingchance.com pretty much ignores this by example).

As I understand it, the residual value is pretty much non-negotiable as this is typically the bank's liability. And the dealer is not really going to do much with that number unless they can get some value taking it into inventory or auctioning it. And one might buy the vehicle at residual and sell it privately, but the sales tax effect in doing this largely eliminates any financial advantage.

Understanding if and how "excess wear and tear" and "mileage overages" might be minimized or eliminated/negotiated in a transaction, if there is such a way to doing so, or on a new purchase/lease.

I suppose the ideal situation would be a lease turn-in with no excess charges and you'd drop the keys off and start a-new negotiating on an unencumbered new purchase. But for situations where there is wear and tear and excess mileage, I would be interested in understanding if there are strategies. I'd not like to roll any tail from the old transaction into the new.

I think many folks start getting calls and mail from dealers and lessors about 6-months prior to lease end, and I would be curious why this is the case and if you can use early termination to your advantage.

Maybe a tall ask, but thanks for any expertise here or references elsewhere for further study.

Mechaero19

Reaction score
Can anyone offer any intelligence as to how to negotiate an end-of-lease situation (i.e. a potential purchase of a new RAM for example)? There have to be a lot of people turning in vehicles at lease end but the subject of how and where to negotiate does not get much play.

I am interested in any strategies, as I don't have much experience with it, and am seeking knowledge. There does not seem to be much written about this (i.e. fightingchance.com pretty much ignores this by example).

As I understand it, the residual value is pretty much non-negotiable as this is typically the bank's liability. And the dealer is not really going to do much with that number unless they can get some value taking it into inventory or auctioning it. And one might buy the vehicle at residual and sell it privately, but the sales tax effect in doing this largely eliminates any financial advantage.

Understanding if and how "excess wear and tear" and "mileage overages" might be minimized or eliminated/negotiated in a transaction, if there is such a way to doing so, or on a new purchase/lease.

I suppose the ideal situation would be a lease turn-in with no excess charges and you'd drop the keys off and start a-new negotiating on an unencumbered new purchase. But for situations where there is wear and tear and excess mileage, I would be interested in understanding if there are strategies. I'd not like to roll any tail from the old transaction into the new.

I think many folks start getting calls and mail from dealers and lessors about 6-months prior to lease end, and I would be curious why this is the case and if you can use early termination to your advantage.

Maybe a tall ask, but thanks for any expertise here or references elsewhere for further study.

That's a tough one. The only way you can negotiate any price is if the truck has any equity. And you're right, it is whatever the residual is. I had a 2015 Q7, and the dealer basically denied me, said it was not up to them, it was up to Audi Financial. SO I called Audi financial, basically go turned down. So I returned the Q7, and got into a Laramie. I am super happy with my truck.

Turin

Reaction score
Build in signature. Ordered Feb 25.

MSRP

$60475

Dealer Discount

$7559 (12.5% MSRP)

Rebates/Incentives

$4750 (7.9% MSRP)

Sale Price

$48166 (20.4% off MSRP)

OTD

$51225 (estimated)
Edit: Added percentages.

Last edited:

Lil Miss Always Wrong

Reaction score
...So I returned the Q7, and got into a Laramie. I am super happy with my truck.

what do you mean "returned"? Turned it in early and took the hit? And when you say Audi basically "turned you down" i don't understand, turned you down FOR WHAT? An exchange in collateral? (Sorry, super dense here : )

We've leased AT LEAST 3 vehicles in the past couple of years and just within a few months into the 3 year lease wanted out of ALL 3 (yeah, we never learn!) Each time,
all we did was bring in the vehicle for an appraisal and luckily since we had put something down, they all pretty much broke even.

DJW, maybe i'm not understanding the request for info?! Are you asking how to get out early of a current lease you're in?!

I do know this, some dealers/Mgrs aren't even schooled on "how to treat an appraisal on a leased vehicle..." On one of ours, one dealer said "Can't be done" and when we easily got it done at next dealer, we went back to him and showed him our deal (he was a nice guy so we wanted him to know he was missing some opportunities : ) And he was like, "Dang did not know this process was so easy" and apologized profusely to us. A year later when we'd stupidly gotten into another lease we weren't happy with, (i know : ) we went back to him and wound up getting his Laramie Demo with 6 inch lift & wheels in a killer deal!

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can agree with reason #3. I didn't even want to consider a Ram truck, until I actually paid a visit to the local dealer, and saw the Laramie. I was truly in love with the GMC Sierra Denali. But they offered no rebates, or deals. Then I considered the Chevy Silverado. I wanted the RST, oh my god, the craftsmanship and wuality was horrible. Hands dows the Ram was the bes choice.
can you tell us the 7k in rebates that you received ?

Users who are viewing this thread