5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

mcd3620

Reaction score
Just hit 2000 miles on my 2022 Ram Limited, I am averaging 16 miles per gallon. What I have noticed, When Temperatures were in the 50's I was getting almost 18 miles per gallon. When it is below 20 degree's I get about 14-15 miles per gallon. Now this is not scientific but I have found that Speedway gas sucks, Sams Club so far has given me the best results at 87 octane. Also must of this is city driving, I did do a trip to Chicago on the expressway and averaged almost 20 miles per gallon for that trip.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just hit 2000 miles on my 2022 Ram Limited, I am averaging 16 miles per gallon. What I have noticed, When Temperatures were in the 50's I was getting almost 18 miles per gallon. When it is below 20 degree's I get about 14-15 miles per gallon. Now this is not scientific but I have found that Speedway gas sucks, Sams Club so far has given me the best results at 87 octane. Also must of this is city driving, I did do a trip to Chicago on the expressway and averaged almost 20 miles per gallon for that trip.
87 will put a hit on MPG for sure. I've been running 91 non-ethanol and I get 22-23mpg on the interstate in my Limited.

smashweights

Reaction score
87 will put a hit on MPG for sure. I've been running 91 non-ethanol and I get 22-23mpg on the interstate in my Limited.
This gets tossed around a lot. 87 might have a mild impact on peak performance due to timing adjustment but doesn't change economy. My '19 Limited get 16-17 city and 22-24 hwy and has run Shell 87 for 22k miles

Ramjack

Reaction score
This gets tossed around a lot. 87 might have a mild impact on peak performance due to timing adjustment but doesn't change economy. My '19 Limited get 16-17 city and 22-24 hwy and has run Shell 87 for 22k miles
Running non-ethanol fuel will help with mileage a little but no enough to make up for the additional cost.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not about out running increased costs with EPA numbers. I drive mine 40-50 miles a week so a tank of gas can last me roughly two months. I don't want to deal with corn gas breaking down and screwing up the fuel system. I watched my mom recently replace the injectors in her Grand Cherokee @70,000 miles. She has been retired for many years and it's rarely driven and I would not be surprised at all if fuel breakdown was a big factor. One failed and the rest were apparently pretty filthy

Am I going to fill up with non-ethanol @ $8/gallon? No, but I'm definitely not going to fill up with ethanol either. We keep our vehicles until the wheels fall off and prefer to put money up front in maintenance to try and mitigate some of that stuff. Now in my Camry that I fill up every 7-8 days, yeah, I put regular 87 in that thing every time.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just FYI, I have stored regular 10% ethanol gas for over a year with no I'll effects. I have a Jeep that has been using the same tank for a couple years. It starts right up and does not miss a beat. Well when the battery is good, I just use it to plow snow and move crap around the yard. Gasoline additives have come quite a ways. The tiny bowl in the carb on my pressure washer still gums up when fuel evaporates but not onanything else.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just FYI, I have stored regular 10% ethanol gas for over a year with no I'll effects. I have a Jeep that has been using the same tank for a couple years. It starts right up and does not miss a beat. Well when the battery is good, I just use it to plow snow and move crap around the yard. Gasoline additives have come quite a ways. The tiny bowl in the carb on my pressure washer still gums up when fuel evaporates but not onanything else.
I’ve meet running 87 10% ethanol and everything’s been working fine.

Oh, and stabil works great for carb equipments

usedup

Reaction score
Mine doesn't seem like it makes any difference whether its 87 government gas or 91 tractor gas. It's a '22 Limited with eTorque and the three 5.7's before that were the same. Two with 3.21 and two with 3.92 gears. Never had one of those magic hemi's that got 20+ on the highway, or 20 for that matter. And my heavy right foot days were long ago.

Ramjack

Reaction score
It's not about out running increased costs with EPA numbers. I drive mine 40-50 miles a week so a tank of gas can last me roughly two months. I don't want to deal with corn gas breaking down and screwing up the fuel system. I watched my mom recently replace the injectors in her Grand Cherokee @70,000 miles. She has been retired for many years and it's rarely driven and I would not be surprised at all if fuel breakdown was a big factor. One failed and the rest were apparently pretty filthy

Am I going to fill up with non-ethanol @ $8/gallon? No, but I'm definitely not going to fill up with ethanol either. We keep our vehicles until the wheels fall off and prefer to put money up front in maintenance to try and mitigate some of that stuff. Now in my Camry that I fill up every 7-8 days, yeah, I put regular 87 in that thing every time.
I think that's a fair concern and cheap insurance if you are driving only 40-50 miles per week. I've seen what ethanol fuel does to marine engines so I find it hard to believe that automotive systems are immune. E10 still goes bad much faster than ethanol-free.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Marine systems weren’t built for it

Our vehicles are.

Remember full flex fuel vehicles have been out for around a decade now.

And if you’re modern vehicle isn’t flex fuel. Usually all it takes is a sensor and some programming. The rest of the fuel lines, injectors, and pumps are the same and made for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramjack

Reaction score
Marine systems weren’t built for it

Our vehicles are.

Remember full flex fuel vehicles have been out for around a decade now.

And if you’re modern vehicle isn’t flex fuel. Usually all it takes is a sensor and some programming. The rest of the fuel lines, injectors, and pumps are the same and made for it

The marine manufacturers would disagree. They specifically state that their systems are designed to tolerate up to 10% ethanol, which is fine except when the fuel sits for too long, either in the tank or inside the engine. Granted, very very few vehicles sit with the same fuel in the tank for months at a time. But that's the scenario we're talking about. Not talking about typical use.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
And are these new marine machines?

My four motorcycles sit for months during the winter.

And my truck usually gets driven once a month during winter depending on how much craps on the roads.

I’ve done this for over a decade, no fuel related issues ever. Using e10 and e15, and no stabilizer.

Ramjack

Reaction score
And are these new marine machines?

My four motorcycles sit for months during the winter.

And my truck usually gets driven once a month during winter depending on how much craps on the roads.

I’ve done this for over a decade, no fuel related issues ever. Using e10 and e15, and no stabilizer.

Yes, these are new marine engines. I never personally had problems with my marine engines, but I kept mine in a garage so the reduction in temperature swings helped delay fuel "souring" and phase separation. But all you have to do is talk to a marine mechanic and they'll tell you how much ethanol has helped their business. It's just that it's quite rare that automobiles sit long enough for it to be a problem.

usedup

Reaction score
I think that's a fair concern and cheap insurance if you are driving only 40-50 miles per week. I've seen what ethanol fuel does to marine engines so I find it hard to believe that automotive systems are immune. E10 still goes bad much faster than ethanol-free.
None of the RAM's I've owned ever let the gas get old.

Users who are viewing this thread