5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Sal731

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lol. When I drive to the Bronx from where I live highway has lots of down hills. Obviously the way home is the opposite. Lol I can hit 20 driving like a baby and rolling down most hills. The way home driving quite aggressive (to get home from work) I get about 16.5. Like I said that’s aggressive.

CBrebel

Reaction score
Just a curious question, I know the Rebel ain't the best on gas but has anyone notice a difference in fuel economy between the full tank and a half tank? Just drove mine about 550 miles and when the tank was full I was running between 16 -17 average but Around a half tank it jumped up to between 20 and 22. Granted that was via the dash but does the weight of fuel make that much of a difference? I have the 33 gallon tank.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just a curious question, I know the Rebel ain't the best on gas but has anyone notice a difference in fuel economy between the full tank and a half tank? Just drove mine about 550 miles and when the tank was full I was running between 16 -17 average but Around a half tank it jumped up to between 20 and 22. Granted that was via the dash but does the weight of fuel make that much of a difference? I have the 33 gallon tank.
Yea, I noticed that I can only go about half as far on a half tank compared to a full tank. 😆🤣😅

Dewey

Reaction score
3.92 gears are appealing to me but considering I drive mostly interstate miles at 80+ mph I realized it wasn’t a real smart move. With 3.21 gears on my last two Laramie’s I have consistently averaged 17.5 mpg in the summer and 15.5 mpg in the winter. Pulling my 2000 lb boat I get 14.5 mpg. Taking it easy on a longer 55 mph trip I’ve gotten 20 mpg. This is based on the last 10 years. Can’t really complain about that too much.

Last edited:

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I recently took mine on an 800 mile round trip this past weekend and averaged 19mpg. That's with driving through nyc and short drives around long island for 4 days.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I drive 80 on my way to work. 50 miles each way. 3.92 gears seem to do great.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Define great
Smooth acceleration. Turning 35 inch tires with the same ease 3.21 trucks turn their Prius tires. When maneuvering in traffic, merging, etc , I can do so smoothly and confidently, not with that paranoid fear 3.21 guys have that granny in the Honda Fit is passing me and in my blind spot.

You know. The typical advantages of driving a truck with proper gearing. Heck there's a whole thread dedicated to this with over 2000 posts.

HemiDude

Reaction score
Weight of fuel will make a small difference, shouldn't be 4-5 mpg. It's possible other circumstances contributed as well - ambient temp, highway grade, lighter right foot (;)), etc. As much as I'd like to rely on my truck's computer for mpg calculations, I have seen differing numbers from it on the same routes/different days, so you really need to do hand calculations if you want accuracy.

MBulutt

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
I do i have 2022 dodge ram 1500 Night edition with stock 22” wheels with 3.21 gears mine is horrible on gas too i get like 12s

HemiDude

Reaction score
I do i have 2022 dodge ram 1500 Night edition with stock 22” wheels with 3.21 gears mine is horrible on gas too i get like 12s
Yeah that's rough! If this is your first Ram, you should find that as it gets broken in, your mpg will increase. My last Ram did that, and this one has already started to improve. I just turned over 1000 miles this past weekend, and got over 18 for the first time. My last Ram did 22mpg before I really started modding it.

MBulutt

Reaction score
Yeah that's rough! If this is your first Ram, you should find that as it gets broken in, your mpg will increase. My last Ram did that, and this one has already started to improve. I just turned over 1000 miles this past weekend, and got over 18 for the first time. My last Ram did 22mpg before I really started modding it.

Yeap its my first ram i got around 3300 miles on the truck i wishh i can see those numbers lol i also got a 26g tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Reaction score
Yeap its my first ram i got around 3300 miles on the truck i wishh i can see those numbers lol i also got a 26g tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My GT has the 22" wheels also. If I did my math right, this factory tire/wheel combo weighs more than the Fuel wheels/Cooper tire combo that I added to my last Ram, and the tires have a bigger contact patch, so I don't expect to ever get close to that 22mpg number. That's also one of the reasons I wanted the 33 gallon tank, as I plan on taking more trips with this Ram. Fuel economy will never be great, so just add more fuel :LOL:. What's that quote from Smokey and the Bandit - "If you can't raise the bridge, lower the water"!

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
3.92 gears are appealing to me but considering I drive mostly interstate miles at 80+ mph I realized it wasn’t a real smart move. With 3.21 gears on my last two Laramie’s I have consistently averaged 17.5 mpg in the summer and 15.5 mpg in the winter. Pulling my 2000 lb boat I get 14.5 mpg. Taking it easy on a longer 55 mph trip I’ve gotten 20 mpg. This is based on the last 10 years. Can’t really complain about that too much.
Is 20 mpg good at 55 mph?

Dewey

Reaction score
Is 20 mpg good at 55 mph?
Good enough for me considering it’s a truck but I’m rarely driving at 55 mph so it’s rare for me to get that mpg. Really drops off as the speed increases with the extra wind drag.

SnowBlaZR2

Fuel Economy Champion
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good enough for me considering it’s a truck but I’m rarely driving at 55 mph so it’s rare for me to get that mpg. Really drops off as the speed increases with the extra wind drag.
I do better than that at 55 mph.

But you do bring up a good point. It's a truck. No way I'd get 3.21s to save some fuel on paper.

Dewey

Reaction score
I do better than that at 55 mph.

But you do bring up a good point. It's a truck. No way I'd get 3.21s to save some fuel on paper.
That’s good to hear. I’m happy for you.

Rangerdick

Reaction score
Well, here is my Info...... Trip to Florida from Northern IL. ........ 2021 Limited, 5.7 conventional engine, top ter 89 octane, 3.21
Air temp. in Northern IL at time of departure ~40 degrees mileage 15.5 , once in Southern Indiana air temperature rose to approximately 70, with mileage increasing to 18.5. IMG_1267.jpg
Once in Southern Georgia air temperature reached 78 degrees my best mileage 21.2..

I'm a firm believer, air temperature makes a difference in mileage this type of engine.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread