5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ethanol has been in our fuel for almost 20 years now. Anything made after 2000 has the materials to withstand it. Especially our modern trucks. A decade is enough time to learn “long term affects”

I noticed zero difference when running e free 90. Or e88. I can get both at my local station. Excerpt e88 is almost $2 cheaper a gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't E88 15% ethanol?? That's why it's cheaper.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
i thought the higher the number, the more ethanol content.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Correct. Cheaper, runs better than 87 and gets the same mpg.

Some call it e15 also. Which does make a little more sense. But all my pumps call it e88.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm just thinking that non-ethanol is the smarter choice for those of us that don't drive much. I've got a 33 gallon tank. I'm gonna drive this thing once a week for like 30 miles worth of driving. I mean, I'm probably looking at 450-500 miles per tank with a fair amount of in town driving. A tank is going to last a really long time. The only question is to Stabil as well or not Stabil.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
I put around 5k miles a year on my trucks. They mainly sit in the garage for weeks at a time as I don’t buy them for my dd.

Never had an issue with e fuel on a modern vehicle. Just keep the tank topped off. But that’s good practice with any fuel if you let the truck sit. Especially in colder climates.

And no stabil

This is just as applicable to vehicles as bikes

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run 89 from Fred Myers or Safeway.....cheapest gas in our area. Yesterday we took a 150 mile trip......two lane road....set the cruise control at 53mph due to traffic........averaged 23mpg for the first time in my truck......usually get 21 give ot take but 23......incredible! Real happy.

BowDown

Reaction score
Murphy USA started selling non ethanol gas at all the pumps.

So what are potential issues with non-ethanol? I have a Murphy right down the road but I've always avoided it because I assume it isn't top tier. I started doing some research on it but didn't get very far. Busy day.

Murphy USA gas is crap; be aware if you buy it they have a negative reputation and many complaints of fuel system and engine problems when using it. I dont know if its on the fuel stations side or the quality of gas but there's been consistent issues using it

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'll keep that in mind. I've been using them for years in all my vehicles and haven't had a problem.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
2ed05b93fcab1f4aa7ff2c9f96492d3f.jpg

Filling her up with that blue stuff before the winter storm!

BowDown

Reaction score
Race gas around here is 110 octane. But, you’re looking at about $20 per gallon. I’ve honestly never seen 98.

There's 98 north of me that's $10 a gallon, 108, 110 and 116 are significantly more. 108 was $22 a gallon last time I looked. That is the only place I've seen 98 but it's pretty cool that it's a gas station (VP) and you buy it right from the pump vs buying drums

Last edited:

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what the gas prices are going to look like pretty soon because of the war bet Russia & Ukraine.

397STROKER

Reaction score
3.35 for 91 is great. I am paying 3.59 for 87 with 10% ethanol

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm tempted to go ahead and fill up with that 91 right now after work before prices go up. I'm at about 1/4 tank of 89 from Chevron. Even the premium from Costco is running more than the non-ethanol by a few cents a gallon.

Users who are viewing this thread