5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

tdog65

Reaction score
I've had my truck for about a month now new to me 2020 with 20k miles on it. Truck was exactly what I was looking for other than it had 3.92 gears. I use 95% hwy. Its a very fickle truck. If I keep it at 70-72 it will average 18 hwy but drops fast once over that speed. I've never had a truck though that idling will drop it 2MPG if you leave it running any length of time.

Still its worth it for the amount of space and ride the truck has as long it holds together for 200k next 3 years.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can average 21-22mpg on Hwy with 87oct (winter gas) if I keep my speed between 65-70mph. But my combined city/Hwy is around 17-18mpg.

When you say highway, are you talking 80mph on the interstate? My highway driving is on a 55mph highway on my commute. Reasonable highway speeds are way more efficient than interstate speeds.
I know slowing down helps, but it doesn't help this truck that much.. For instance trips to the Jersey shore you usually don't want to take the hwys & interstates because of traffic.. so you take back country roads with speed limits in the 35-50 mpg range. Truck still gets the same **** mileage and that's with summer fuel too. I've done longer highway runs between NJ & NC, NJ & VA, NJ to the western side of PA, and NJ & NH.. truck gets in the 15-17 mpg range.

Check the Fuelly link in my sig. for 30k + miles of fill-ups.

I know, I know, if I want mileage I should have bought a Prius. 🙃 .that's ********. I'm not expecting Prius mileage, I was expecting competitive mileage when compared to every other truck I've owned and they all got better mileage in every one of these situations. Love the truck and she is one of the best trucks out there for racking up the miles, just wish it was more competitive in the fuel mileage department.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I know, I know, if I want mileage I should have bought a Prius. 🙃 .that's ********. I'm not expecting Prius mileage, I was expecting competitive mileage when compared to every other truck I've owned and they all got better mileage in every one of these situations. Love the truck and she is one of the best trucks out there for racking up the miles, just wish it was more competitive in the fuel mileage department.
I think this is the best point here. No, trucks aren't going to get great mileage. But it's not wrong to expect competitive fuel economy either. My 6.2/10spd Silverado got much better mileage with 20 more horsepower and 60 more torque. That truck took 93 only so I'm still saving money getting worse mileage and paying for 87. But still - it's the point.

Either way it's still the best truck I've ever owned by a long shot.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's pretty dang good. My truck is set up the same as yours and the best I can do with really milking it is 17.5-18mpg overall. But there's no such thing as flat ground here so that really cuts into my totals.

Most of my driving is two lane roads with cruise control set at 55......on freeways.....I set it at 65 and the mileage stay about same. We have a small fiberglass travel trailer about 3500 lbs......last Sept. we travelled the Oregon Coast......averaged between 15 and 17 mpg depending on terrain. My old 2500 Chevy with the 6.0 liter got 10 to 11 on same trip a few years before.

spyder

Reaction score
The computer is actually very accurate. .1-.3 difference.
Eh. I've had a bunch of Ram trucks and not one has ever been accurate. Common consensus is that they are generally 1-3mpg optimistic over hand calculated.
I think this is the best point here. No, trucks aren't going to get great mileage. But it's not wrong to expect competitive fuel economy either. My 6.2/10spd Silverado got much better mileage with 20 more horsepower and 60 more torque. That truck took 93 only so I'm still saving money getting worse mileage and paying for 87. But still - it's the point.

Either way it's still the best truck I've ever owned by a long shot.
I don't even care about competitive. I would be happy with 15mpg if it was advertised as such. Being lied to is what I don't like.
I almost bought a Power Wagon, but the advertised 10mpg, and knowing it would likely be a fair bit less than that, turned me off from it.

wsutard1

Reaction score
@spyder ive been hand calculating using Fuelly and the truck has been very accurate. Maybe the inaccuracy of your system is tied to whatever is going on to give you bad mpgs?
I’m sitting at 13.8 but it’s all stop and go, up hill so I can’t really complain.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Lie-O-Meter is normally 1/2 to 1 mpg optimistic.

Though last night I filled up and it was 0.2 mpg pessimistic.. (15.8 displayed / 16 actual) 🤯

spyder

Reaction score
Filled up last night, 3 tanks worth of Chevron 89 octane. Digital display was 18.8, hand calculated was 17.5

It wouldn't be near-universally known as a lie-o-meter if it was that accurate for most people. :LOL:

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had my truck for about a month now new to me 2020 with 20k miles on it. Truck was exactly what I was looking for other than it had 3.92 gears. I use 95% hwy. Its a very fickle truck. If I keep it at 70-72 it will average 18 hwy but drops fast once over that speed. I've never had a truck though that idling will drop it 2MPG if you leave it running any length of time.

Still its worth it for the amount of space and ride the truck has as long it holds together for 200k next 3 years.
Ask any guy with 3:21 gears, they will tell you. It's the 3:92 gears that are making your milage drop while idling. That would actually increase your mileage if you had 3:21 gears.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is after sitting in line for 10 minutes getting an Americano this morning and my average continues to climb. I did my break in last night then filled up. 405 miles on the odometer and 184 miles to home. PXL_20220222_135624886.MP.jpg

MO Rebel

Reaction score
For the guys getting poor mpg’s, are you running 87 or 89 octane? I had an F-150 with the 3.5tt and it would consistently get 2-3 mpg better running 91 vs 87. I finally just said f’ it, tuned it and only ran 91.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I'll use 89 when it's not $0.30 more expensive on the gallon. The mpgs would have to be significantly better to offset the cost.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
This is after sitting in line for 10 minutes getting an Americano this morning and my average continues to climb. I did my break in last night then filled up. 405 miles on the odometer and 184 miles to home. View attachment 121385
I was going to try and use Eco training or whatever it's called but it disappeared when I did a factory reset haha.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
For the guys getting poor mpg’s, are you running 87 or 89 octane? I had an F-150 with the 3.5tt and it would consistently get 2-3 mpg better running 91 vs 87. I finally just said f’ it, tuned it and only ran 91.
I only used 89 for the first month but then from someone's mentioning on this forum switched to 90 ethanol free and the truck runs totally different. It's honestly incredible the difference.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Weird. Mine is within .2mpg hand calculating. And I get the advertised window sticker mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got the right spec to meet that. Remember your window sticker was actually based on your truck, they stuck the same sticker on Rebels which won't come close to getting the same mpg which is where a lot of the complaints are coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread