5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

tomme12

Reaction score
I only used 89 for the first month but then from someone's mentioning on this forum switched to 90 ethanol free and the truck runs totally different. It's honestly incredible the difference.
When you say runs totally different in which way?

Bigbags85

Reaction score
In my last 2 fill ups I've gained 2mpg (and that is with remote starting). It runs smoother, quieter, and goes into eco mode way more than it ever did before (I drive the same way to work and home every day). It was immediately noticeable. I can actually hear the mds kicking on and off now if my stereo is low enough. And sometimes it doesn't even shut mds off going up small hills where before the truck would almost never go into eco (and I use cruise all the time).

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
In my last 2 fill ups I've gained 2mpg (and that is with remote starting). It runs smoother, quieter, and goes into eco mode way more than it ever did before (I drive the same way to work and home every day). It was immediately noticeable. I can actually hear the mds kicking on and off now if my stereo is low enough. And sometimes it doesn't even shut mds off going up small hills where before the truck would almost never go into eco (and I use cruise all the time).
Everything runs better without ethanol in it, and you’re making more power. Makes sense that mds will hold for longer.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Everything runs better without ethanol in it, and you’re making more power. Makes sense that mds will hold for longer.

You can actually make more power with ethanol. But your mpg does suffer a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GR1MREAPER

Reaction score
A while back didnt some people figure out that ram was sending a lighter 2x4 less optioned truck with 3.21 gears for fuel mileage certification and then putting that number on basically all their half tons? Here is a pic of a 22 bighorn 2x4 with smaller lighter tires and way less options vs a 22 ram Rebel with heavy off-road tires and 4x4 and it actually says the rebel gets better mpg then the bighorn lol.. 😂🤣

Attachments

• 8004BFFA-333D-4725-A742-0C6A8D9E1B4D.png
    8004BFFA-333D-4725-A742-0C6A8D9E1B4D.png
    209.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 13EB8538-58F0-4681-B01A-F0F9B8733533.png
    13EB8538-58F0-4681-B01A-F0F9B8733533.png
    209.2 KB · Views: 23

MO Rebel

Reaction score
A while back didnt some people figure out that ram was sending a lighter 2x4 less optioned truck with 3.21 gears for fuel mileage certification and then putting that number on basically all their half tons? Here is a pic of a 22 bighorn 2x4 with smaller lighter tires and way less options vs a 22 ram Rebel with heavy off-road tires and 4x4 and it actually says the rebel gets better mpg then the bighorn lol.. 😂🤣

I believe that’s about the normal difference between eTorque and non eTorque. When I ordered my Rebel it was 18/22/19c for eTorque and 15/21/17c for non eTorque.

If I get 17 combined, I’ll be a happy camper. Expecting closer to 15.

Last edited:

Bigbags85

Reaction score
What gas stations sell this stuff? I don't think I've ever seen it.
Certain Speedways, Delta sonics, Quik Fills, and Fastracs near me have it. I think most marinas will have it as well (at least in WNY). there should be a website where you can lookup gas stations in your area that have it.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Murphy USA started selling non ethanol gas at all the pumps.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So what are potential issues with non-ethanol? I have a Murphy right down the road but I've always avoided it because I assume it isn't top tier. I started doing some research on it but didn't get very far. Busy day.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
So what are potential issues with non-ethanol? I have a Murphy right down the road but I've always avoided it because I assume it isn't top tier. I started doing some research on it but didn't get very far. Busy day.
Zero issues with non-ethanol other than being very expensive. The increase in mileage will not offset the additional expense. My dirt bike runs better with it, but it's only 2.5 gallons at a time, so the extra expense is well worth it to me. I haven't tried it in my truck, and I doubt I will.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
None. It`s back to running on real gasoline, like whole milk vs. 2%.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Zero issues with non-ethanol other than being very expensive. The increase in mileage will not offset the additional expense. My dirt bike runs better with it, but it's only 2.5 gallons at a time, so the extra expense is well worth it to me. I haven't tried it in my truck, and I doubt I will.
I get the rate of return on your mileage being poor but does it help with engine longevity? Fewer fuel filter changes? Anything like that?

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I get the rate of return on your mileage being poor but does it help with engine longevity? Fewer fuel filter changes? Anything like that?
Considering on how long things last nowadays it'd probably hard to tell. Ethanol is worse for certain materials (as far as breaking them down). It's definitely worse for small engines (like lawn equipment). It'd be interesting to learn if there were any differences long term but we'd probably never be able to get accurate info. I am not going to switch back to ethanol though because the truck honestly felt (and continues to feel) like a totally different vehicle once I made the switch. My other car is recommended to use premium only and when I deviated from that once just to try it it ran like ****.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I haven't read about any of those. Living in a lake city, I know the boat guys like it because of the problem with ethanol absorbing water. I've heard that ethanol can break down rubber fuel lines in older vehicles, but I've never experienced that issue myself.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Ethanol has been in our fuel for almost 20 years now. Anything made after 2000 has the materials to withstand it. Especially our modern trucks. A decade is enough time to learn “long term affects”

I noticed zero difference when running e free 90. Or e88. I can get both at my local station. Excerpt e88 is almost $2 cheaper a gallon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
non ethanol fuel is normally better for boats, mowers, atvs, etc. older vehicles can’t run ethanol because the engine seals and hoses aren’t made for it. I’ve found every vehicle runs better without ethanol

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online