5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got back from a road trip. New Jersey to Montreal with a day trip out to Quebec City.

Attachments

• PXL_20211203_142134815.jpg
    PXL_20211203_142134815.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 92

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bought my truck today and drove it 120 miles home. All highway miles in very hilly terrain. I was unsure how the 3.92 would do but I averaged 18mpg at 70-75mph mostly on cruise control. I could have easily done 19mpg or better off cruise. I don't think that's terrible especially since it will get slightly better after break-in. I didn't buy it for gas mileage but I do think it's fun to see how high you can get sometimes.
Just wondering, what engine?

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No problem. I could understand you picturing men like that. Hey, fly your flag 🏳️‍🌈 if that's your thing. America is built on freedom after all. 👍

Just not for me though. I'm old fashioned and out of touch I guess. 😎

I like that freedom.......that's why I fly two flags......a USA and a POW/MIA........I have friends still missing......my neighbor's daughter flies that rainbow flag you reference.......I fully her support her......she served three tours in middle East.....was injured on her last tour but is doing quite well now. Let's get back to gas mileage.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I like that freedom.......that's why I fly two flags......a USA and a POW/MIA........I have friends still missing......my neighbor's daughter flies that rainbow flag you reference.......I fully her support her......she served three tours in middle East.....was injured on her last tour but is doing quite well now. Let's get back to gas mileage.
Agreed. Fly the One Flag high my friend. 🇺🇸

Macman56

Reaction score
Gentlemen, interesting read on gas mileage concerns. I'm in the same boat with the gas mileage concerns. However, on my 2020 Rebel, I have a feature on my truck that allows me select between different driving modes, Performance mode, Stock mode, Economy mode and of course Tow mode. Also, each can be selected with the MDS on or off. Has anyone found any literature that explains these different driving mode options other than the obvious option of each mode itself? My owners manual is no help and my local Ram dealer has nothing to offer. What say you!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Gentlemen, interesting read on gas mileage concerns. I'm in the same boat with the gas mileage concerns. However, on my 2020 Rebel, I have a feature on my truck that allows me select between different driving modes, Performance mode, Stock mode, Economy mode and of course Tow mode. Also, each can be selected with the MDS on or off. Has anyone found any literature that explains these different driving mode options other than the obvious option of each mode itself? My owners manual is no help and my local Ram dealer has nothing to offer. What say you!

Sounds like you have a ETC (pedal commander et al) added, are you the original owner or did you buy used?

Macman56

Reaction score
Does your engine ping with 87? Mines all good. Just wondering
I have seen through my many years on the planet, that gasoline quality is important, el cheapo gasolines do not compete with name brand gasolines. My co-worker used an el cheapo gasoline and it costs him a $400 repair at the dealer. Dealer recommendation was a better quality gasoline. He now runs a "quality" gasoline with no further problems...so far. Just saying...

Macman56

Reaction score
I have seen through my many years on the planet, that gasoline quality is important, el cheapo gasolines do not compete with name brand gasolines. My co-worker used an el cheapo gasoline and it costs him a $400 repair at the dealer. Dealer recommendation was a better quality gasoline. He now runs a "quality" gasoline with no further problems...so far. Just saying...
Don't know honestly, book recomends 89 so I'm using 89, not interested in 87. My brother, however, tested both octane mixtures in his 2017 Ram Sport, the gain in cheap gasoline did not offset the difference the 89 provided in performance. So he now uses 89 also.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I don't know about that.......all that gas is made in the same refineries........in our small town.......the same truck delivers gas to the 76 station.....the Shell station and the little gorcery store on the hill.....the same truck also delivers to Fred Myers about 50 miles away. We fill up at Fred Myers in Oregon because the same gas is 30 cents cheper per gallon. Just sayin.......

Macman56

Reaction score
I don't know about that.......all that gas is made in the same refineries........in our small town.......the same truck delivers gas to the 76 station.....the Shell station and the little gorcery store on the hill.....the same truck also delivers to Fred Myers about 50 miles away. We fill up at Fred Myers in Oregon because the same gas is 30 cents cheper per gallon. Just sayin.......
Thanks for the gouge! Just saying...

Macman56

Reaction score
It’s definitely some aftermarket device.
I believe you're right. When I bought the truck it came with a cold air induction unit already on it, I figured it was a Rebel thing. A previous owner had it installed. Thanks for the help!

feuerdog

Reaction score
2022 Bighorn Crewcab 4x4 Off-road w/3.92 rear 5.7etorque
Bed cover, 87octane, sub-500lbs of cargo typically
Less than 3000 miles on odometer

200 mile one-way trip over rolling hills @ 70~80mph = 16~18+mpg

Sub-10 mile daily suburban commute = 14~16+mpg

I haven't really been aggressive with it yet, its still just a couple months old, but I have been keeping a close eye on the mpgs.

My observations -
*If I attempt any hyper-mile techniques it doesn't really gain me any significant mileage.
*I tend to cruise at over 75mph,.....cruising at under 65mph DOES make a difference,......i'd estimate at least 1-2mpg.
*Heavy footed acceleration does hurt your numbers, but as mentioned earlier in the thread, it also doesn't gain you anything by tiptoeing every acceleration either. Just keep it it smooth and steady and let the torque, and the gears get you up to speed.
*I haven't noticed a difference in mpgs between 87oct and 89oct,.....but not really running the tank dry anyway.

TLDR: I'd hoped the mpgs would be closer to 18~20mpg, but I think the Off-road package and 3.92s might be knocking me down a peg.
15city/17highway seems about right for what I have and how I drive.

Users who are viewing this thread