5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't know about that.......all that gas is made in the same refineries........in our small town.......the same truck delivers gas to the 76 station.....the Shell station and the little gorcery store on the hill.....the same truck also delivers to Fred Myers about 50 miles away. We fill up at Fred Myers in Oregon because the same gas is 30 cents cheper per gallon. Just sayin.......
I am outside of the DC area. Here there is a tank farm fed by the Colonial Pipeline. Yes the ransomeware one... All the players fill from these tanks. The differences in most to make them "Top Tier" is some additives they put in the truckload . One exception is Amoco/BP (yes, they are the same) as thier gas is clear and is a separate run in the pipe from the refinery.

BigD

Reaction score
I never could understand why someone can spend $70k for a Limited, but then ***** about spending $5.00 more at the pump every week ? I mean seriously, your Starbucks costs more than that every morning! If I worked at the dealership where these people keep bringing in their trucks for non-existent problems, I'd seriously recommend a psych eval !!! 🤪

397STROKER

Reaction score
Gentlemen, interesting read on gas mileage concerns. I'm in the same boat with the gas mileage concerns. However, on my 2020 Rebel, I have a feature on my truck that allows me select between different driving modes, Performance mode, Stock mode, Economy mode and of course Tow mode. Also, each can be selected with the MDS on or off. Has anyone found any literature that explains these different driving mode options other than the obvious option of each mode itself? My owners manual is no help and my local Ram dealer has nothing to offer. What say you!
What you describe, sounds like a an Edge Pulsar device. Do you select the modes using the cruse control buttons and the center screen on the audio settings? Also, you could look under the hood at the computer. If it looks like 2 computers piggybacked then that is what you have.

BowDown

Reaction score
In still technically on vacation this week so 100% city driving with auto stop/start re-engaged {was testing it a week ago and posted the results in another thread that was locked).
That one day of driving with auto stop/start disabled netted me a loss of 1/2 mile a gallon in the day I had it disabled which when doing the math had me at ~15.8 ish a gallon.

This week with no highway driving at all, I'm at 18.1 (was 18.9 yesterday) with a current mileage of 274 and a time of 8 hours. That averages to 34 mph or city holiday traffic speeds ( and the stupid people are out).

20211230_190202.jpg
20211230_190230.jpg

I think a lot of the bad fuel mileage is driving style. I drive on average 5 -10 over where I can get away with it, what I don't do is 0-60 runs from a stop light.
I suspect many with poor mileage have a heavier foot than they think as this truck is plenty capable of 18 mph in the city.

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
I'm at 2400 miles on my 2022 Ram. It's an eTorque with the 3.92 and my lifetime mileage is 18.2mpg. I think that's pretty darn good with the towing rear end and running 87 grade gas. May do a little better running 89 but it's a $0.30 per gallon spread here and I doubt it would overcome that gap. Love this truck!

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I never could understand why someone can spend $70k for a Limited, but then ***** about spending $5.00 more at the pump every week ? I mean seriously, your Starbucks costs more than that every morning! If I worked at the dealership where these people keep bringing in their trucks for non-existent problems, I'd seriously recommend a psych eval !!! 🤪
You waste more than $5 a day/ $150 a month just on coffee? Wow! Talk about a psych eval!

Overpriced gas being $0.44/ gallon more in Faifax VA, 1.5 tanks a week, 26 gallon tank as a middle ground. This is $17.16/ week or $74.30/mo.

Darn, $224.30 / mo in overpriced coffee and overpriced gas.

$2,692/year, just say six years in the truck at a modest 4.5%/ year inflation (provided Brandon and crew is not back in office to make it higher).... 1.045^6=1.3023. $2,692×6=$16,152+30.23%= $21,035.

That is a buttload of overpriced coffee and gas. You should think about what that will net in an IRA over 20 years.

Amazon has coffee makers for like $35. Just sayin'...

Last edited:

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Back when I was 16.......I remember paying 29.9 cents a gallon for gas......the station had one of those ice cold water fountains and the water was free......you could drink all you wanted......a Hershey Bar was 10 cents....and that was the big one.....heck.....for a buck......we could eat...drink and drive all weekend in my 58 Chevy with the AM radio that took 30 seconds to warm up because of all those tubes! Happy New years all!

Jako

Reaction score
Back when I was 16.......I remember paying 29.9 cents a gallon for gas......the station had one of those ice cold water fountains and the water was free......you could drink all you wanted......a Hershey Bar was 10 cents....and that was the big one.....heck.....for a buck......we could eat...drink and drive all weekend in my 58 Chevy with the AM radio that took 30 seconds to warm up because of all those tubes! Happy New years all!
born 1955?

BigD

Reaction score
You waste more than $5 a day/ $150 a month just on coffee? Wow! Talk about a psych eval!

Overpriced gas being $0.44/ gallon more in Faifax VA, 1.5 tanks a week, 26 gallon tank as a middle ground. This is $17.16/ week or $74.30/mo.

Darn, $224.30 / mo in overpriced coffee and overpriced gas.

$2,692/year, just say six years in the truck at a modest 4.5%/ year inflation (provided Brandon and crew is not back in office to make it higher).... 1.045^6=1.3023. $2,692×6=$16,152+30.23%= $21,035.

That is a buttload of overpriced coffee and gas. You should think about what that will net in an IRA over 20 years.

Amazon has coffee makers for like $35. Just sayin'...
Me personally no. I buy a container of folgers for $8 & it lasts my wife & I about 3 weeks. I just see the line 15 cars deep at Starbucks everyday when I drive by it. I see all the people pissing away money on different things. I'm a minimalist & probably one of the most frugal people on the planet. I'll get new tires after I get 50,000 out of the OEM ones. Put a piece of carpet in my bed rather than spend money on a liner. As frugal as I am one thing I never complain about is the gas mileage my truck gets. It should be expected when u buy a full size truck. The mpg ratings are very best case scenario. A 150 lb male driving in no wind going 55 mph on a straight road in 75 degree weather. Some people on this forum are no being realistic at all. Comparing a fricken Honda CRV 4 banger to a Ram 1500 Hemi V8. I mean come on, seriously? 🙄

BigD

Reaction score
I’d like to see you get 50k out of the stock tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll replace them when they are around 4/32 or 5/32. Obviously I'm not going to risk my safety or the safety of others. Probably get 40 something thousand out of the stock tires I bet.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll replace them when they are around 4/32 or 5/32. Obviously I'm not going to risk my safety or the safety of others. Probably get 40 something thousand out of the stock tires I bet.

I can see getting over 40k. Mine look brand new still at 20k. But I wish they would wear out like tomorrow. I told myself Ill wait for rim and tires once they wear out.

BowDown

Reaction score

Mine barely lasted 20K miles and probably should have been replaced at 15k miles

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine barely lasted 20K miles and probably should have been replaced at 15k miles

Hmmm. I bought my truck with 12k miles on it. Wonder if the dealer tossed some new tires on! I did notice every truck has the whitewalls on the outsides. Mine dose not.

BowDown

Reaction score
Hmmm. I bought my truck with 12k miles on it. Wonder if the dealer tossed some new tires on! I did notice every truck has the whitewalls on the outsides. Mine dose not.

He may have, what tires are on it now?
Mine were the factory 22" Goodyear touring tires, they didn't last 20k but from what I've read, most everyone with them has the same complaint.

BigD

Reaction score
I can see getting over 40k. Mine look brand new still at 20k. But I wish they would wear out like tomorrow. I told myself Ill wait for rim and tires once they wear out.
I got 20,000 miles on my truck right now also. I'm not in a hurry to get tires. Have u seen how much tires have gone up in the last 6 months ? Descent tires are almost $300/each right now. Like everything else, inflation has hit the rubber industry. Trying not to buy anything right now until inflation eases a bit. Hopefully after midterms when we ride the Red Wave this November things will get back to normal!! 🙂

BigD

Reaction score
I got 21,000 on my truck right now & my tires are at like 8/32. Damn, u must do alot of burnouts or brake stands or something.

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He may have, what tires are on it now?
Mine were the factory 22" Goodyear touring tires, they didn't last 20k but from what I've read, most everyone with them has the same complaint.

I have the Bridgestone duelers

Users who are viewing this thread