5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
^^^So if you speak with a British accent, you can immediately get 17.3 MPG? Am I reading that right? :ROFLMAO: Not a bad tradeoff, especially since you don't have to do it all the time, just while you're in the truck.

That's the first time I've ever seen "UK MPG".
I keep my truck on “UK MPG” because I’m In Canada and UK gallon is actually called Imperial gallon which is our Canadian gallon.
USA gallon is 3.78 litres
UK, Imperial, Canadian gallon is 4.54 litres
This is the average of my truck’s fuel consumption for everyday driving
These figures are all equal it just depends of the selection you choose
28 UK mpg
23.3 US mpg
10 L/100km
It really looks impressive with the bigger gallon, but the real bummer is that here in Northern Ontario Canada, diesel is $6.58 per gallon and regular 87 octane gasoline is $6.80 per gallon.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My manual says they recommend 89 and 87 can be used.......I will stick with 89......don't like pinging. Still getting 20+ on every tankfull.......5.7...3.92....tow package.....crew cab......these trucks are great!
If it's pinging that bad, you might just get it fixed.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I keep my truck on “UK MPG” because I’m In Canada and UK gallon is actually called Imperial gallon which is our Canadian gallon.
USA gallon is 3.78 litres
UK, Imperial, Canadian gallon is 4.54 litres
This is the average of my truck’s fuel consumption for everyday driving
These figures are all equal it just depends of the selection you choose
28 UK mpg
23.3 US mpg
10 L/100km
It really looks impressive with the bigger gallon, but the real bummer is that here in Northern Ontario Canada, diesel is $6.58 per gallon and regular 87 octane gasoline is $6.80 per gallon.
What!?! I never knew that. US education failed me.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
It ain't pinging......sounds great...of course....I use 89 gas.....I think I mentioned that! (y)
So, it's broke and you put a band aid on it. Ok. When something else starts making noise, you can buy a louder stereo to fix that problem. 😉

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, it's broke and you put a band aid on it. Ok. When something else starts making noise, you can buy a louder stereo to fix that problem.

Unless I total missed that message. I don’t see where jerrybob said his pinged with 87 and switched to 89. Pretty sure he saying he doesn’t like pinging and that’s why he just uses 89.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, it's broke and you put a band aid on it. Ok. When something else starts making noise, you can buy a louder stereo to fix that problem. 😉

You are not listening......I ain't got no problem.....nor do I want one.......quit jumping to a wrong conclusion simply becasue I don't agree with you........you sound like my wife.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unless I total missed that message. I don’t see where jerrybob said his pinged with 87 and switched to 89. Pretty sure he saying he doesn’t like pinging and that’s why he just uses 89.

You did not miss anything and speak the truth.......some folks just like to argue and make stuff up......maybe they're lonely and need a friend........👨‍🦱 LOL!

ABess

Reaction score
Okay, for all its worth my two cents chiming in. I am getting 15 MPG Avg, running 89 Octane. Its highway and in and around. So my truck is heavy and I tend to drive aggressively. I didn't buy it for its fuel efficiency, I bought for the way it drives and rides. I stopped using cruise control started using common sense. Get it up to speed and adjust the gas pedal as needed to keep it in eco. Hell I was paying $6.25 a gallon for gas when I was stationed in Hawaii, paying $9.50 a gallon in Germany (had a Nissan Titan). I was paying $2.10 for can of Copenhagen back when I was a shaven headed Ranger and pay $7.25 a can now. Its all relative. I love my truck, and besides it could be worse. I could be back in the Stan at 9,000ft chasing insurgents. I will keep the truck and smile its puts on my face.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I stopped using cruise control started using common sense. Get it up to speed and adjust the gas pedal as needed to keep it in eco.
This is exactly right. Cruise control will generally make your MPG's worse on this thing. If you wanna see your average go up, baby the pedal and then when it's time to pass somebody, gun it.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Dang JB, does your wife know you tell people she talks like a man? I have never met her but would just go on the assumption that she is a nice woman.

I'm not making stuff up, you are the one that said I sound like her and I have a pretty deep voice. Just sayin'...

Flushing-money.jpg

2021QCBH

Reaction score
I just returned my worst non towing tank. It’s been colder here (Indiana) and I presume we’ve made the switch to winter blend fuel. 14.75 hand calc and I was in a hurry all week. Mostly city but maybe 20% highway and I beat on it all week. On summer blend and warm weather I was averaging 16.5-18 range on my normal commute. I use the remote start mostly to let the truck idle down before hammering it into gear.

last month I towed a 4000-4500 lb boat from Indy to Austin Texas and back. The whole trip hand calc average was 12.5 mpg70-80 speeds the whole way except construction.

Headed to Nashville today. First long trip unloaded since the Texas run. At 7300 miles now and I swapped to synthetic before leaving for Austin. Hopefully it’ll
return some nice highway numbers on this run.

5.7 4x4 Quad cab 3.21s. 18” wheels. Non E torque.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang JB, does your wife know you tell people she talks like a man? I have never met her but would just go on the assumption that she is a nice woman.

I'm not making stuff up, you are the one that said I sound like her and I have a pretty deep voice. Just sayin'...

View attachment 112765

Thanks for the clarity......she is a very nice woman.......I just had you pegged with a squeaky high pitched voice.....sorry! LOL!

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just returned my worst non towing tank. It’s been colder here (Indiana) and I presume we’ve made the switch to winter blend fuel. 14.75 hand calc and I was in a hurry all week. Mostly city but maybe 20% highway and I beat on it all week. On summer blend and warm weather I was averaging 16.5-18 range on my normal commute. I use the remote start mostly to let the truck idle down before hammering it into gear.

last month I towed a 4000-4500 lb boat from Indy to Austin Texas and back. The whole trip hand calc average was 12.5 mpg70-80 speeds the whole way except construction.

Headed to Nashville today. First long trip unloaded since the Texas run. At 7300 miles now and I swapped to synthetic before leaving for Austin. Hopefully it’ll
return some nice highway numbers on this run.

5.7 4x4 Quad cab 3.21s. 18” wheels. Non E torque.

I have seen 2 miles pre gallon drop myself since the cold weather has hit. I was thinking the blend changed too

BluegrassMotorsport

Reaction score
Bought my truck today and drove it 120 miles home. All highway miles in very hilly terrain. I was unsure how the 3.92 would do but I averaged 18mpg at 70-75mph mostly on cruise control. I could have easily done 19mpg or better off cruise. I don't think that's terrible especially since it will get slightly better after break-in. I didn't buy it for gas mileage but I do think it's fun to see how high you can get sometimes.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarity......she is a very nice woman.......I just had you pegged with a squeaky high pitched voice.....sorry! LOL!
No problem. I could understand you picturing men like that. Hey, fly your flag 🏳️‍🌈 if that's your thing. America is built on freedom after all. 👍

Just not for me though. I'm old fashioned and out of touch I guess. 😎

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online