5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not sure it is the etouque as much as just plain wind resistance. I usually stay around 14.3 to 14.5 mpg. This is because 40 miles of my 50 mile (one way) commute is highway. I drive a bit fast and heavy footed on the highway.

When the wife and I went out for a weekend and drove some country roads to go out to the butcher shop, it jumped an easy 2mpg. That was just easy driving from 35 to 55 mph. The truck was not pushing against the wind the whole time. It's just easier driving around town and on the back roads rather than the bloodbath on the highway.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finally got up over 17.5...

For like 2 minutes, at 17.2 right now. Was hoping for at least 18 and I think I can get there, just have to take it a little easier on the curvy highways and never ever ever ever idle.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Holy Headwind!

Trip Friday from South Jersey to BFE PA to visit the inlaws.. zero traffic, but a bad headwind the entire way. Truck actually had to downshift acouple times to maintain speed. o_O ..still on the return trip tank, but there was no wind otw home and it's looking to be in the normal crap mileage this truck gets on the Hwy.. (mid 16mpg)

1638217572481.png

asgadf/lkjnadsfg

Reaction score
^^^So if you speak with a British accent, you can immediately get 17.3 MPG? Am I reading that right? :ROFLMAO: Not a bad tradeoff, especially since you don't have to do it all the time, just while you're in the truck.

That's the first time I've ever seen "UK MPG".

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just went from 18.3 to 16.1 while waiting two hours to see a doctor they said I could wait in my truck, so watched some tv on the laptop.

Better set up that warranty for cracked manifolds. With all that’s idling.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Holy Headwind!

Trip Friday from South Jersey to BFE PA to visit the inlaws.. zero traffic, but a bad headwind the entire way. Truck actually had to downshift acouple times to maintain speed. o_O ..still on the return trip tank, but there was no wind otw home and it's looking to be in the normal crap mileage this truck gets on the Hwy.. (mid 16mpg)

View attachment 112452
That's a 3.92 for you ;)

I just wrapped up a 3,300 mile road trip. I have a heavy truck (1,069 payload). I ran on the OEM Falkens, but I did not add pressure. The door sticker says 32 psi, and I typically run closer to 38 psi.

On the outbound leg, I was towing a dual-axle U-Haul trailer carrying furniture with additional gear in the bed, plus my wife and I, two dogs, and luggage in the cabin (near max payload). On the return leg, I ditched the trailer but had a portable generator and other gear loaded in the bed, so I was still near max payload.

Here were my hand-calculated results (tracked with Fuelly):

Towing at or near max payload:
9.5 mpg (91 octane)
9.5 mpg (90 octane ethanol free)
11.4 mpg (91 octane)
10.1 mpg (93 octane)
10.1 mpg (93 octane)
12.9 mpg (93 octane, partial towing)

Not towing but near max payload:
15.6 mpg (93 octane)
15.8 mpg (93 octane)
15.4 mpg (91 octane)
15.1 mpg (91 octane)

I wouldn't read into the octane ratings too much here, as there were lots of variables (hilly sections, wind in all directions, varying speed limits, construction zones, etc.). Honestly, and unsurprisingly, speed was the biggest factor; economy was significantly higher when rolling through construction zones at 50-60 mph and dropped like a rock on open roads with 75-80 mph speed limits.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Holy Headwind!

View attachment 112452
Aside from from the Brits not knowing how much a gallon is, 😏, I want to know where you get the electric gas this truck needs to run. We just have unleaded around here! 😎

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's a 3.92 for you ;)

I just wrapped up a 3,300 mile road trip. I have a heavy truck (1,069 payload). I ran on the OEM Falkens, but I did not add pressure. The door sticker says 32 psi, and I typically run closer to 38 psi.

On the outbound leg, I was towing a dual-axle U-Haul trailer carrying furniture with additional gear in the bed, plus my wife and I, two dogs, and luggage in the cabin (near max payload). On the return leg, I ditched the trailer but had a portable generator and other gear loaded in the bed, so I was still near max payload.

Here were my hand-calculated results (tracked with Fuelly):

Towing at or near max payload:
9.5 mpg (91 octane)
9.5 mpg (90 octane ethanol free)
11.4 mpg (91 octane)
10.1 mpg (93 octane)
10.1 mpg (93 octane)
12.9 mpg (93 octane, partial towing)

Not towing but near max payload:
15.6 mpg (93 octane)
15.8 mpg (93 octane)
15.4 mpg (91 octane)
15.1 mpg (91 octane)

I wouldn't read into the octane ratings too much here, as there were lots of variables (hilly sections, wind in all directions, varying speed limits, construction zones, etc.). Honestly, and unsurprisingly, speed was the biggest factor; economy was significantly higher when rolling through construction zones at 50-60 mph and dropped like a rock on open roads with 75-80 mph speed limits.
This is good info Speedy, thank you!

I'm starting to get the hang of how not to let her eat up so much fuel. It's definitely a different sort of driving style from everything I've had before. Basically I go a bit slower on average and open her up only about half as much as I'd really like to, but when I give her the gas MAN does she go!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This is good info Speedy, thank you!

I'm starting to get the hang of how not to let her eat up so much fuel. It's definitely a different sort of driving style from everything I've had before. Basically I go a bit slower on average and open her up only about half as much as I'd really like to, but when I give her the gas MAN does she go!
I wouldn't worry about it too much, as even a 10% improvement is a difference of <2 mpg.

That said, I wish I'd put 40+ psi in the tires prior to towing. Having just inflated them to 38 psi cold (40-42 warm), I can actually feel the difference in rolling resistance.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it too much, as even a 10% improvement is a difference of <2 mpg.

That said, I wish I'd put 40+ psi in the tires prior to towing. Having just inflated them to 38 psi cold (40-42 warm), I can actually feel the difference in rolling resistance.
That's sounds about right. Driving it like I did my Grand Cherokee (and Cherokee before that), I was averaging between 15.4 and 15.8. Driving like I do now, I'm up over 18 (my average is like 17.8 now after just a couple more days of driving differently, and climbing). My wallet feels that, especially when pumping 89 at these prices, that will add up over the whole stretch of owning the truck.

And since you mentioned about pumping up the tires for towing, I would think higher is always better but what would you say is the cutoff for 50 max PSI tires? I imagine that lugging around an extra 6K+ lbs of travel trailer, especially in warmer weather, will heat the tires up pretty good. So if you go all the way up to say like 47, 48, you'd be putting yourself in blowout territory no? Would like 42-44 be safe?

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's sounds about right. Driving it like I did my Grand Cherokee (and Cherokee before that), I was averaging between 15.4 and 15.8. Driving like I do now, I'm up over 18 (my average is like 17.8 now after just a couple more days of driving differently, and climbing). My wallet feels that, especially when pumping 89 at these prices, that will add up over the whole stretch of owning the truck.

And since you mentioned about pumping up the tires for towing, I would think higher is always better but what would you say is the cutoff for 50 max PSI tires? I imagine that lugging around an extra 6K+ lbs of travel trailer, especially in warmer weather, will heat the tires up pretty good. So if you go all the way up to say like 47, 48, you'd be putting yourself in blowout territory no? Would like 42-44 be safe?

50 psi cold max means just that, 50 psi *cold*

Sure the tires will heat up over the cold max pressure but your still within the designed tolerances which doesn’t put you in blowout territory.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
50 psi cold max means just that, 50 psi *cold*

Sure the tires will heat up over the cold max pressure but your still within the designed tolerances which doesn’t put you in blowout territory.
It's kind of ridiculous how much I've learned on this forum from ya'll. Thanks Ram Tow Guru!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My truck won't ever see those numbers here in Texas, where I'm either in city traffic or running 75 mph on the highway. If I drive like a grandpa (and I often do), it makes zero difference. It's just the reality of a heavy truck with 3.92 gearing in this scenario. My 14+ mpg lifetime average beats the 11 mpg my previous truck averaged in the same conditions.

Now up at the lake (Michigan), where I'm rolling on state highways for long stretches at 60 mph, it's a VERY different story. 15-17 mpg is easily achieved.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck won't ever see those numbers here in Texas, where I'm either in city traffic or running 75 mph on the highway. If I drive like a grandpa (and I often do), it makes zero difference. It's just the reality of a heavy truck with 3.92 gearing in this scenario. My 14+ mpg lifetime average beats the 11 mpg my previous truck averaged in the same conditions.

Now up at the lake (Michigan), where I'm rolling on state highways for long stretches at 60 mph, it's a VERY different story. 15-17 mpg is easily achieved.
Need that high-quality blinker fluid.

ABess

Reaction score

Yeah, Houston traffic doesn't play well with MPGs. Its all good. Everytime I jump in the truck I smile, and everytime I jump out of it, I count to 4 thousand like a good paratrooper!

Users who are viewing this thread