5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I got 21,000 on my truck right now & my tires are at like 8/32. Damn, u must do alot of burnouts or brake stands or something.

Nope, no burnouts or hard driving. This seems to be the norm with the 22" wheeled trucks and the Goodyear's. There's a lot of comments on it here; I did think they'd last longer than 20K miles and thought the same as you about the drivers making those comments until I happened to notice mine wearing fast around 10k miles.

Look at this thread

I replaced mine with Pirelli Scorpion AS+3's a few months ago. Truck steers much sharper and rides a small bit better. I think braking was better with the Goodyear's but I've only had to make one panic or hard braking stop on these tires and it did feel like the Goodyear's bit harder on decelerating but overall, I like these a lot more than the Goodyear's

20211011_124643.jpg

I do feel like I took a small mpg hit as well but that may be in my head as this week I did 100% city stop and go driving and am sitting at 18.2 mpg and both sets of tires netted me about the same mpg driving from Dallas to Houston 22.5 mpg @75 mph/ 22 mpg @75 mph / 23mpg @ 73 mph

Last edited:

Jasontindal

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
I have etorque 2019 5.7 4wd crew cab. I bought it 2 weeks ago and I am ready to sell. Fuel mpg is not as advertised. I get 11 / 16. Not the 17/22 as advertised. Has anyone found a solution.

Runagun

Reaction score
I have etorque 2019 5.7 4wd crew cab. I bought it 2 weeks ago and I am ready to sell. Fuel mpg is not as advertised. I get 11 / 16. Not the 17/22 as advertised. Has anyone found a solution.
Umm, Do you use remote start?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Avoid traffic and stopping. ;)

Seriously, though, one of the biggest differences for me was accelerating to speed. I used to ease up to speed but that takes more fuel.

Now I accelerate "briskly" to speed. I'm not taking off like a dragster but get on it and get the RPMs up to around 3000 RPM (~4K RPM merging onto the freeway) when I accelerate then ease off as I get to speed. That's not going to get you to the window sticker but it will make a difference.

Plan your route, avoid lots of stoplights (take the freeway instead of city streets), get harder compound tires, anticipate road conditions (traffic, stop lights. etc.) so that you aren't on the brake/gas pedal as much.

I spent a few tanks not worrying about MPG to see what would happen. I drove more for fun which was somewhere between watching instantaneous MPG like a hawk and driving like Mario Andretti. Turns out I was only .5 MPG less than if I worried about MPGs every time I drove...so I quit worrying and just have fun.

It's a truck. I was shooting for 15 MPG as my standard. I get between 15 and 16 MPG depending on summer or winter blend (a little less on winter blend) so am happy. I checked a lot of option boxes so had no expectations of getting the window sticker numbers that are generated with lighter (closer to base model) 2wd trucks in very controlled conditions.

This generation of HEMI has been around for quite some time (2009 maybe?) and, even though it's had some updates/refreshes, is still an overall dated design IMO as technology 10+ years ago is vastly different than now. While the engine still functions just fine the efficiency is not going be there, especially since it's a N/A V-8. The bigger the smile the lower the MPG. :cool:

Last edited:

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm impressed with mine. Been really cold, barely double digit temps, and I'm averaging close to 17mpg. Mix of Highway and city, and rural roads.

BigD

Reaction score
This must be a joke or your smoking something. I got the exact same truck but I have a 2020. I even got the 3.92 gears & I never get worse than 15 mpg city driving it like Dale Earnhardt! I can easily get 19 or 20 mpg highway no problem.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
13 city, 15 hwy, 10 hauling butt on I-95 with the tent on the rack.
No real complaints and not ready to sell anytime in the future due to percieved "poor gas mileage"
' I drive her hard but maybe not this hard.

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hear that the v6 turbo from ford is a good choice as long as one doesn't gun it?

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trying to compare one Ram to another for MPG is a no win game. No two trucks, even equipped the same and driven by the same driver on the same road and in the same way will get the same MPG. And, if they do, it is a rarify, not a rule. It is impossible, even in a speed shop to make two engines, let alone two trucks, identical. Just ask a NASCAR team. Beside that, you are asking a person with a similar truck, what kind if MPG he gits with his driving style, and on his commute.
Besides, if you got the truck thinking that the government sticker was accurate on all similar Rams, then you might want to rethink. It is nothing more than an educated guess in a perfect truck, and under ideal conditions. It is just a number to keep Uncle Sam happy. Want better MPG, change driving habits as much as you can to maximize it.
Oh and, you might look at a Prius plug-in Hybrid if you want good MPG.😉

ferraiolo1

Reaction score

Control your right foot better. Don’t let it idle and warm up for long periods of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
The sure fire solution is to just not start the motor. It is a 5.7 V8 and uses gas. Just tow it around with another truck and it's milage will shoot up.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I hear that the v6 turbo from ford is a good choice as long as one doesn't gun it?
I had one as a loaner for about a week. It was a tad bit better on MPG than my truck, but I don’t have A.s.s, that one did.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Trying to compare one Ram to another for MPG is a no win game. No two trucks, even equipped the same and driven by the same driver on the same road and in the same way will get the same MPG. And, if they do, it is a rarify, not a rule. It is impossible, even in a speed shop to make two engines, let alone two trucks, identical. Just ask a NASCAR team. Beside that, you are asking a person with a similar truck, what kind if MPG he gits with his driving style, and on his commute.
Besides, if you got the truck thinking that the government sticker was accurate on all similar Rams, then you might want to rethink. It is nothing more than an educated guess in a perfect truck, and under ideal conditions. It is just a number to keep Uncle Sam happy. Want better MPG, change driving habits as much as you can to maximize it.
Oh and, you might look at a Prius plug-in Hybrid if you want good MPG.😉
i once asked a friend who had just brought a new corvette how much was the mpg. he said "if you are worried about mpg do not buy it".
it is fun to play along with others posting mpg.

Vilas15

Reaction score
So many posts about it's a truck what did you expect... everyone's got a limit. Nobody would accept 1 mpg. How about 2 mpg? 10? Seems like 90% are ok with at least 15. Everybodys got a different number theyre comfortable with. Some people want the number on the window sticker. Some people have reasonable expectations of high teens and get low teens. I understand why theyd be upset with that. I get 20+ in summer and am very happy. If i only got 15 highway Id be pissed.

AngelPhoenix

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So many posts about it's a truck what did you expect... everyone's got a limit. Nobody would accept 1 mpg. How about 2 mpg? 10? Seems like 90% are ok with at least 15. Everybodys got a different number theyre comfortable with. Some people want the number on the window sticker. Some people have reasonable expectations of high teens and get low teens. I understand why theyd be upset with that. I get 20+ in summer and am very happy. If i only got 15 highway Id be pissed.
You won't get only 15 highway unless you drive like a maniac.

Users who are viewing this thread