5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In order for this to work, you will need a Multimedia video box, https://streamtoyourcar.com/ and a OBDII Wi-Fi dongle, https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Product...ld=1&keywords=Obd2+Wifi&qid=1628262100&sr=8-5 You can download the app DashCommand from the play store $9.90. thru the media box and set you vehicle profile. You can also watch NetFlix, YouTube or other streaming apps. It is a self contained Android system running thru CarPlay. Some more info can be found here.

BradfordRick

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).
I only get 12-13 mpg city and 15-16mpg highway.
I have the 3.92 rear axle with anti-spin diff.
Eco mode almost never turns on in this new truck.
I have no performance options other than what the truck came with.
I have 12,500 miles on it now.

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I drive conservatively. I drive mostly highway. I don't idle the truck.
I thought the eTorque would be the way to go. I would not recommend it.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
Parking brake . I had same problem with my 2016 , 6 cyl from brand new. My fuel mileage was better when loaded. When empty it would hardly stay in overdrive. Checked at dealer several times but no fault found. A few months ago I had to replace rear rotors and found that my parking brake was sticking on intermittently. I totally loosed it to off postion , I now get low 9's in fuel instead of high 11's. ( that's liters per 100 km) anyway 20% less. I have not used the parking brake since. I think the connector between front and rear cable is not supported well enough so it starts bouncing up and down and gradually tightens the parking brake. This slight tightening I believe sends a slight load condition to the tannry so it downshifts. When loaded it does not react this way.

Drewster

Reaction score
Parking brake . I had same problem with my 2016 , 6 cyl from brand new. My fuel mileage was better when loaded. When empty it would hardly stay in overdrive. Checked at dealer several times but no fault found. A few months ago I had to replace rear rotors and found that my parking brake was sticking on intermittently. I totally loosed it to off postion , I now get low 9's in fuel instead of high 11's. ( that's liters per 100 km) anyway 20% less. I have not used the parking brake since. I think the connector between front and rear cable is not supported well enough so it starts bouncing up and down and gradually tightens the parking brake. This slight tightening I believe sends a slight load condition to the tannry so it downshifts. When loaded it does not react this way.
5th Gen/ DT trucks have an electric parking brake.

cclove

Reaction score
I've seen reports of others getting poor gas mileage in their 5th Generation Rams. Mine is horrible. Has anyone else gotten a dealer to figure out what's wrong with this truck?
I've had my truck in the shop twice now for this issue. The Ram technicians are not able to find anything wrong with the truck.

It is a 2019 ram 1500 limited 4x4 crew cab with eTorque engine. Fuel economy is supposed to be 17 city, 22 highway.
I have the active suspension, and every option imaginable. 12" touch screen (which I would not recommend after living with it).

My 2016 ram quad cab with 5.7 hemi 4x4 got 20mpg or better consistently on the highway thanks to the eco mode.
I should be getting at least within 1 to 2 mpg of what is stated. My 2016 truck promised 20mpg and I got better.
I've owned 4 of these trucks, each one better than the last, until this latest one.

I was given a loaner 2019 Ram 1500 with the Hemi, crew cab, same as my truck, but no eTorque option. I towed a trailer with that loaner truck for 250 miles and averaged 19.5mpg in tow/haul mode. It was the same year as mine 4x4 with the crew cab and hemi, and it got much better gas mileage. The only difference is mine has the eTorque, and this loaner did not. I can't get gas mileage that good in my truck, when it's empty and riding steady at 65mph on the highway. When I tow, I get 12 on the highway.

Something is wrong with my truck that is not wrong with all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and have you gotten it properly fixed? I'm at the point where I'm fighting with my dealer and I need to tell him what it is. He has put the OBD tester on it and says it has no codes.
I am averaging about 14mpg around town... about 17 on trips of two hours or more on the hwy...

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My MPG's started going down with this Borla muffler I just installed. I would like to say it's me stepping on the peddle more, but I really don't feel like I do. I just feel like my usually cruising speed MPG's on the instant display have changed quite a bit. When cruising around 60-65 I would always see the display show anywhere from 23-27 and now I'm lucky if I see 21. Time will tell lol

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My latest from last week's road trip. I did manage to pass 600 on the Range Mi.

Attachments

• PXL_20210812_191416224.jpg
    PXL_20210812_191416224.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 50

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't see it in your signature, 3.21 or 3.92 rear end? Either way that's great mileage!
3.21 ... added it to my sig.

I'm wondering what my MPG will be if it was regular flat highway. I drove from the Poconos Mtns to upstate NY-Watkins Glen State Park and then all the way to Niagara Falls. A lot of uphill highways.

Last edited:

Kaderast

Reaction score
Do ya'll think the Prius forums have threads asking why they can't tow or haul anything?

That's actually pretty funny. I'm sure plenty of Prius owners try to figure out how to tow with their vehicle, or haul some small lumber, or load 5 bikes on the back of it.

Everyone buys a vehicle that best suits their individual needs, and they are all trade offs in one way or another. I love listening to my V8, putting lumber in the bed, towing snowmobiles, and taking my truck deep into the backcountry to find a secluded camping spot. I also like to try and get decent fuel economy while I'm doing those things.

I've seen this guy driving around town in the winter with his sled loaded on top of his Subaru. Just goes to show you any vehicle can do just about anything to the right owner.

Attachments

• Da2ruCXXcAYLGpR.jpeg
    Da2ruCXXcAYLGpR.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's actually pretty funny. I'm sure plenty of Prius owners try to figure out how to tow with their vehicle, or haul some small lumber, or load 5 bikes on the back of it.

Everyone buys a vehicle that best suits their individual needs, and they are all trade offs in one way or another. I love listening to my V8, putting lumber in the bed, towing snowmobiles, and taking my truck deep into the backcountry to find a secluded camping spot. I also like to try and get decent fuel economy while I'm doing those things.

I've seen this guy driving around town in the winter with his sled loaded on top of his Subaru. Just goes to show you any vehicle can do just about anything to the right owner.
Actually, that's the wrong owner. Carrying a 450lb sled on top of a Subaru is stupid and dangerous.

Lukebugbee

Reaction score

Yes I have a brand new laramie no etorque. Getting 700km to a 124litre tank. I got more km on my 90 litre tank on my 2015 hemi. I the shop and no issues. I don't know what to do

Kaderast

Reaction score
Actually, that's the wrong owner. Carrying a 450lb sled on top of a Subaru is stupid and dangerous.
I personally applaud his ingenuity. The real stupid thing is putting a $10K sled on top of a $7K car.

Users who are viewing this thread