5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poor gas mileage

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On flat ground @ 70mph I'm lucky to see 16-18mpg on the instant readout. The MDS never kicks in above 45'ishmph unless I'm going downhill or slowing down and have a strong tailwind. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My MDS will kick on in 3rd gear around 25 mph and if I'm careful I can have it stay on through all the gears up to about 6-7th gear 50ish mph. The terrible sound and vibrations that are generated aren't worth the fuel savings. Whenever I forget to disable MDS my truck will quickly remind me

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm about the same as you with MPG's. Flat roads cruising 65 is about 23-26mpgs. at 70 it's about 21-24mpg if it's flat. I'm about to level the front of mine 2 inches so I'll see if that decreases this great mileage I've been getting. I didn't want to but I was tired of looking at the raked look. I had the rear lowered, but I didn't like how it drove and when I towed anything it was horrible, so I decided to level the front a little.
Curious to see how this affects your mpgs

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Haha yea. I prob won’t be doing much modding until warranty expires. So you can go first 😋

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha yea. I prob won’t be doing much modding until warranty expires. So you can go first 😋
I feel you, I always buy extended warranties then mod it :cautious:. Good thing it won't void engine and transmission or electrical so it's all good. I'll just do the level and some bigger tires.

RamCzech

Reaction score
Just got my 2021 Built to serve, 3.21, 4x4, fully loaded, 2.5 inch ready level/lift with 295/60R20 Nitto trail grapplers. Drove the truck home, all highway and averaged about 13.5. So far in the city, I am at 12 MPG. I suspect the big tires are the culprit. Not complaining at all, if i wanted good MPGs, I would have stuck with my Malibu. Anybody else have mud tires and is experiencing similar MPGs as me?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The tires will definitely hurt mpg. Especially if they are load range E, as they will weight a lot more.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably should of went with a A/T tire but damn the M/Ts look good, thanks for the reply
Yeah those tires probably weigh in at 70 pounds a piece but they do look good. As long as it puts a smile on your face you are good right? Haha

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Curious to see how this affects your mpgs
Just letting you know, I just finished the 2" motofab lift on my truck. Here comes the real test of this drops my MPG's or not haha. I don't think it looks bad at all with the stock tires so I'm going to use them until I've worn them out.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ll take some after pictures here in a bit. Just went for a drive. I should have some old before pics I can post.

Attachments

• 895DE68C-BFA2-479A-98A3-0503CA07EE78.jpeg
    895DE68C-BFA2-479A-98A3-0503CA07EE78.jpeg
    133.8 KB · Views: 42

Kaderast

Reaction score
Just letting you know, I just finished the 2" motofab lift on my truck. Here comes the real test of this drops my MPG's or not haha. I don't think it looks bad at all with the stock tires so I'm going to use them until I've worn them out.

I did that same leveling kit a month ago and haven't really noticed much change, still in the mid 18s for mixed driving. At interstate speeds of 70+ I think the economy may be dropping a bit with the level....but I only drive on the interstate about 3 times a year. On relatively flat highways of 60-65mph the truck is usually about 21-22mpg in 8th gear.

I'm also sticking with the stock Wildpeaks until they wear out, they aren't my favorite tires, but they aren't bad either. Haven't had them in the snow yet though....

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did that same leveling kit a month ago and haven't really noticed much change, still in the mid 18s for mixed driving. At interstate speeds of 70+ I think the economy may be dropping a bit with the level....but I only drive on the interstate about 3 times a year. On relatively flat highways of 60-65mph the truck is usually about 21-22mpg in 8th gear.

I'm also sticking with the stock Wildpeaks until they wear out, they aren't my favorite tires, but they aren't bad either. Haven't had them in the snow yet though....
I’ll have to see how it treats me on the highway. I have a feeling it’s going to drop a bit for sure.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
More than you're prepared to see for sure!
I think if I get an aggressive tire it might drop. As of right now I’m not doing horrible. I’ve put about 100 miles since the leveling kit. It’s tough getting anything above this which before it was a bit easier but the wind resistance has increased slightly.

Attachments

• F574C73A-F56A-442B-B439-DC26D1CCFC89.jpeg
    F574C73A-F56A-442B-B439-DC26D1CCFC89.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread