5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please post your Tire and Loading sticker

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any idea how they came up with max tongue weight? As long as your tongue weight and passengers/cargo don't exceed max payload, everything should be good. Seems arbitrary to me but always looking to learn something.
And remeber, as soon as you put something in the truck...all those numbers go down...whether it is a soda bottle, yourself, bed cover...anything.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea how they came up with max tongue weight? As long as your tongue weight and passengers/cargo don't exceed max payload, everything should be good. Seems arbitrary to me but always looking to learn something.
Max tongue weight may be the limit of the receiver hitch itself. I believe my current hitch has a max tongue weight of 1000.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For the longest time it was 500 tongue weight and 5000 trailer then weight distributing hitch took that up to 1000 and 10000.

I see were the current generation is much higher for both regular and distribution.

My 99 actually says anything over 10000 must be a fifth wheel or gooseneck.

Trucks have definitely became more capable.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The new hitch is 1000 and 10000 weight carrying and 1400 and 14000 weight distributing.

For Ram 1500, I believe

Edit: note* this does not increase the capacity of the truck to 14000lb towing...the GCVWR is the limiting factor, and if your hitch or ball is lower rated...that is what really maters for max towing.

The lowest rated part...that is your max rating.

Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got the weight on the Ram Boxes ... Estimated weight = 163lbs. Ouch!!
Thinking this answers my question why the tradesman doesn't get RamBox.

But, the limited with RamBox still has more than a 1/2 ton of payload...but not much

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got the weight on the Ram Boxes ... Estimated weight = 163lbs. Ouch!!
Watching that video of a 4th gen owner pulling out one of his RamBox's - it looks like about 80 lbs of grunt.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Max tongue weight may be the limit of the receiver hitch itself. I believe my current hitch has a max tongue weight of 1000.
According to this TFL Truck video the tongue weight on the GM sticker is partly based on the weight of the individual truck. They are tow testing two trucks with GM engineers so I tend to believe it. They compare the two towing/loading info stickers.

Last edited:

MachineX

Young and retired in Texas...
Reaction score
Am I missing something, but I dont see any mention of where to find the specific truck's GCWR. These stickers are solely what can be added inside the truck and no mention behind. What is the secret formula or form that states you are "legally" within your tow limit? Can we be fined for violating this unknown limit?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Your two door jamb stickers tell you this info. Your GVWR is on the grey/silver sticker. Your payload is on the yellow and white tire and loading sticker. Take that from the GVWR and you get your trucks weight...or go weigh it if you can. Then take this weight from your GCVWR which can be found in the payload graph on this site. This gives you your max trailer. Remeber to take the tongue weight away from payload and add in any payload you have and you get your actual allowable trailor.

Don't exceed GVWR or GCVWR cause that is what you will get fined for (also weight class of registration) but that depends on state.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Am I missing something, but I dont see any mention of where to find the specific truck's GCWR. These stickers are solely what can be added inside the truck and no mention behind. What is the secret formula or form that states you are "legally" within your tow limit? Can we be fined for violating this unknown limit?
This link is for GVWR and GCVWR
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/ram-releases-2019-ram-1500-payload-and-towing-charts.9/

And follow the instructures in this link
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/a-helpfull-hint.764/

Then we can give you a more detailed explanation, if you have a truck, ordered a truck or have a truck in mind and where you are from

MachineX

Young and retired in Texas...
Reaction score
This link is for GVWR and GCVWR
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/ram-releases-2019-ram-1500-payload-and-towing-charts.9/

And follow the instructures in this link
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/a-helpfull-hint.764/

Then we can give you a more detailed explanation, if you have a truck, ordered a truck or have a truck in mind and where you are from

I appreciate the links. I updated my profile and signature as requested as well.

In theory, GCWR-GVWR=Max Trailer Weight.... however, this math does not work out with any of the Ram charts. What formula are they using? They seem to always end up with a trailer weight around 1000lbs higher than they should.

So once we know the individual weights of the options, will we know what we will have to work with for a build. It's a hell of a gamble without your charts. Like opening a gift and getting used socks or a brand new toy with batteries. :eek:

Last edited:

Seadog1272

Reaction score
And remeber, as soon as you put something in the truck...all those numbers go down...whether it is a soda bottle, yourself, bed cover...anything.
I was just reading the SAE J2807 spec that the payload weight is based on, it says the payload already includes 150 lbs for driver, 150 lbs for passenger and 70 lbs for hitch equipment.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was just reading the SAE J2807 spec that the payload weight is based on, it says the payload already includes 150 lbs for driver, 150 lbs for passenger and 70 lbs for hitch equipment.
Well, you are correct....I weigh almost as much as both...so putting yourself was not intended as such...If you get what I mean.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I do believe the payload sticker though, doesn't include these calculations...it is all you can put in...so maybe you have a 300lbs balance here...but I make it mute lol

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I don't think the 300 lb passenger weight is included in the Payload rating but could be wrong. It is definitely included in the trailer tow ratings though. Read Rams fine print under their charts.

Payload in the charts is simply GVWR - Base weight. I'm not sure what exactly is included in "base weight" for Ram, however that's why we have the sticker on the door, which provides the vehicle as optioned curb weight.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I believe the 300lbs and hitch weight only apply to the trailer rating. The payload sticker does not take into account passenger or hitch.

And as it says each are mutually exclusive.

So, me being close to 300...if I weAR a heavier pair of boots or a bigger coat...I am over weight lol and myslef taxes away from the trailer rating as well as the payload.

Users who are viewing this thread