5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please post your Tire and Loading sticker

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Actually... it appears I am now the lowest. lol.
That guy wasn’t even close; I reported 1069 early on in this thread. But you’ve clearly got that beat.

@devildodge, I think this our first non-half-ton Ram! I am now the leader in the “closest without going under a 1/2-ton” category ;)

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello devildodge

Thank you to you and every else on this thread who have provided information to help a novice like me from making the common mistake of going off the generic payload and towing numbers.

So I am guessing my Limited build will be around 1,250 lbs.

If anyone can give me your best guess on my build, that would help, there have been a few close, but not exact.

Here is my build

Limited
Crew cab
5’ 7” box
4x4
33 gallon
Anti spin
Mft
Rambox
Level 1
Ecodiesel
trailer brake - I think this is 0

Thank you

from reading the threads, I have an idea on the weights of some of the options

Awesome forum

Dan

You're going to have a pretty low payload. The MFT and ram box are heavy. I bet it's in the 1000lbs area. There doesn't seem to be clear reports if the EcoDiesel is lighter or heavier than the etorque Hemi.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello devildodge

Thank you to you and every else on this thread who have provided information to help a novice like me from making the common mistake of going off the generic payload and towing numbers.

So I am guessing my Limited build will be around 1,250 lbs.

If anyone can give me your best guess on my build, that would help, there have been a few close, but not exact.

Here is my build

Limited
Crew cab
5’ 7” box
4x4
33 gallon
Anti spin
Mft
Rambox
Level 1
Ecodiesel
trailer brake - I think this is 0

Thank you

from reading the threads, I have an idea on the weights of some of the options

Awesome forum

Dan
We had our first report of less than half a ton. 945 lb payload.

These options are heavy.

MF2020

Reaction score
That guy wasn’t even close; I reported 1069 early on in this thread. But you’ve clearly got that beat.

@devildodge, I think this our first non-half-ton Ram! I am now the leader in the “closest without going under a 1/2-ton” category ;)
Wow! what a dubious distinction to say the least. I have a the first "Non-Half Ton" - Half Ton? LOL Ok I can't carry a lot when I tow but what I carry everyday sure is awesome! Lots of goodies that I actually use and enjoy. However, that being said, I really need a 2500 Limited 6.4L Hemi loaded with all the same stuff. Then I can actually tow some serious stuff. I really want a toy hauler bad.

MF2020

Reaction score
I guess the Etorque, Pano Roof, Multifunction tailgate, Ramboxes and 33 Gallon Fuel Tank weigh a lot more. Love all this stuff!! But it is heavy.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the Etorque, Pano Roof, Multifunction tailgate, Ramboxes and 33 Gallon Fuel Tank weigh a lot more. Love all this stuff!! But it is heavy.
Yessir. I have everything but the MFT - it didn’t exist in 2018. The only thing heavier than yours would be a Longhorn with the same options. Don’t ask me why, but it’s what made mine unique.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep. I think the ram box is 160lbs or something which seems crazy. I would have loved to have them but didn't want to take the payload hit.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Limited 4x4 EcoDiesel with 5'7" box.
Blackout appearance package (includes tonneau)
33 gallon tank
Panoramic roof
Anti Spin

Payload of 1317lbs which is better than my last 2019 limited etorque 6'4" bed which was only 1180lbs.

Attachments

• 20200620_161248.jpg
    20200620_161248.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 40

MF2020

Reaction score
Yep. I think the ram box is 160lbs or something which seems crazy. I would have loved to have them but didn't want to take the payload hit.
Yea, well I really wan't thinking about anything but towing the motorcycle trailer around until... I saw a fully loaded Lance 2612 toy hauler. It was love at first sight!! So I will be watching the new Limited 6.4L Hemi 2500s when they come out so I can load it up with all the same stuff I have with a black-out package and still tow this Bad-@ss toy hauler.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, well I really wan't thinking about anything but towing the motorcycle trailer around until... I saw a fully loaded Lance 2612 toy hauler. It was love at first sight!! So I will be watching the new Limited 6.4L Hemi 2500s when they come out so I can load it up with all the same stuff I have with a black-out package and still tow this Bad-@ss toy hauler.
You can still be low on payload with a limited 2500. Going with the gas BGE 392 HEMI will help this. The diesel will likely only have 1500 to 1700 payload.

At HDRAMS.com you can see some who still struggled as they still bought to big of a trailer and really needed a 3500...some a dually.

Just wanted to let you know the loaded trucks are heavy. Even in a HeavyDuty

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure if @Gondul is still active here...but at the HDRAMS.com he got a Limited with enough payload...but he had to skip a few options.

Crockett

Reaction score
I’m still in the shopping phase for a new Ram, and yesterday I stopped at a dealership on my way to a lunch appointment. I was looking at a Bighorn Sport 1500 and I peaked at the payload sticker on the door. I don’t have a picture, but I included the window sticker to show you the options.

payload: 1807
Bighorn 1500 Quad cab, 6’4 bed, Hemi (non e-torque), 26 gal fuel tank.
Sport package
Bed Utility Group
Bighorn level one group
Anti-spin Diff
20 “ wheels
remote start and trailer brake

I thought that was pretty good, and can give me ideas for a build to order with payload in mind. I would like to substitute the Off-Road group for the Bed Utility Group and stay somewhat close to the same payload number. Hopefully those two options are a wash in weight, especially if you go to 18” wheels with the Off-Road. I just thought I would post that number after seeing some low ones on here.

Attachments

• ram.pdf
    96.4 KB · Views: 5

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m still in the shopping phase for a new Ram, and yesterday I stopped at a dealership on my way to a lunch appointment. I was looking at a Bighorn Sport 1500 and I peaked at the payload sticker on the door. I don’t have a picture, but I included the window sticker to show you the options.

payload: 1807
Bighorn 1500 Quad cab, 6’4 bed, Hemi (non e-torque), 26 gal fuel tank.
Sport package
Bed Utility Group
Bighorn level one group
Anti-spin Diff
20 “ wheels
remote start and trailer brake

I thought that was pretty good, and can give me ideas for a build to order with payload in mind. I would like to substitute the Off-Road group for the Bed Utility Group and stay somewhat close to the same payload number. Hopefully those two options are a wash in weight, especially if you go to 18” wheels with the Off-Road. I just thought I would post that number after seeing some low ones on here.
The off road group is heavy. So if you drop the bed group for it...you will be down to 17xx for payload.

It is the skid plates that weigh the most.

The quad cab is much lighter than a crew and the options listed are a good mix for a low base weight.

Good find. Thanks for sharing.

rubikcube

Reaction score
Mine is arriving on Tuesday, but here are the numbers by plugging in the VIN. It’s a Limited eco diesel with off road package, sun roof, Rambox, multi function tailgate, 33 gal tank, tonneau cover, 3.92 ratio.
Expecting to pull a 5500lb travel trailer with about 500lb of tongue weight. I’m thinking all cargo will be going in the trailer.

Attachments

• FF23A652-1A7E-40EF-95EF-E217F5E57224.jpeg
    FF23A652-1A7E-40EF-95EF-E217F5E57224.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 67

TAL2GK

Reaction score
The good news is this thread and this forum stopped me from making a mistake. I sold my Grand Cherokee because it wouldn’t pull my enclosed car hauler well with the family all on board. It’s payload in Overland trim was 1100. I was all set on getting a Longhorn with air suspension, RamBoxes, panoramic roof, 33 gallon tank, and Off road group. I even had a dealer have their commercial sales guy work up payload numbers for me when I insisted it wouldn’t be the 1,800 number. He came back with 1,560 - which this thread has absolutely proven impossible.

‘’The bad news is this information has driven me to Ford. I’ve checked the stickers on several King Ranch and Platinum models with the same options as my Longhorn build (except Ramboxes and Air suspension, of course) and all had payload ratings higher than 1500. So either I can have a Ram or I can have the options I want. Or I can have a 3/4 ton Ram or a 1/2 ton Ford. I’m not a brand champion for either, but it certainly looks like leaf springs make a big difference in payload while coils make a big difference in softness of ride.

TAL2GK

Reaction score
Roughly 7,000 lbs.

After adding in my wife, two boys, sometimes my mother, and our gear, etc, I wouldn’t want to be less than 1,500 payload. If I found a Hemi Longhorn at that capacity with air suspension, and 33 gallon tank, i’d take it. I’d also like moonroof, off road group, and ramboxes, but those aren’t must haves.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Roughly 7,000 lbs.

After adding in my wife, two boys, sometimes my mother, and our gear, etc, I wouldn’t want to be less than 1,500 payload. If I found a Hemi Longhorn at that capacity with air suspension, and 33 gallon tank, i’d take it. I’d also like moonroof, off road group, and ramboxes, but those aren’t must haves.
Does it have to be a Longhorn...those buckles on the seats weigh a ton...lol.

A regular Laramie wont due?

Losing the moonroof, ramboxes and ORG take away alot of weight.

It is a hard sale, giving up the things you want for things you need.

Seems, to me, you would be giving up those things to go with Ford.

A Laramie can definitely be had with a 1500 payload. You would have to special order a Longhorn to get it there...but it would be close and very light on features.

Good luck with whichever route you go.

TAL2GK

Reaction score
Thanks. As we’ve discussed, this would be easier if sales and management were better educated on this topic. I’d more easily get talked into a Rebel, but not sure if that helps compared to a Laramie.

Users who are viewing this thread