5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help - getting my Alfaobd up and running...I have no idea.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
They don’t have a way to figure that out. They can’t see the settings in the BCM like AlfaOBD shows, and even if they could, they wouldn’t know how that translates into the sales codes, and even if they did, they would just think “that’s strange, we’ll just restore the vehicle configuration”.
Does that extra harness stay wired into the vehicle or does it only get installed when you want to make changes. Actually, what's the reasoning for the extra harness? Does this equipment marry to the vehicle or can it be used on other vehicles as well?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does that extra harness stay wired into the vehicle or does it only get installed when you want to make changes. Actually, what's the reasoning for the extra harness? Does this equipment marry to the vehicle or can it be used on other vehicles as well?
The harness is called a security gateway bypass. There is a security gateway in between the OBD port and the canbus system, and also secures the radio from the canbus system separate from the OBD port so the vehicle can’t be hacked and controlled via the radio. The gateway will allow information to be presented to a scan tool from the bus, but not the other way around- so it needs to be bypassed for any changes to be made, or any fault codes to be cleared. It can be removed when done using it, and is not needed at all to just connect to modules and read them, only when an actual change is to be made. Example- everything trek97 has done above so far, the 12+8 bypass was not needed.
AlfaOBD does not marry to the vehicle, it is just a bi-directional scan tool. It can be used on any ~2006+ FCA vehicle.

trek97

Reaction score
Ok Jimmy07 your choice...
A, big hug and a kiss on the cheek
Or...
B. ice cold beer
You, my good man, are the Hero!!! Worked like a charm.

Screen shot of my google drive...

D42AC2E9-D3AC-4FAA-84D8-5BE238AED0AF_1_102_o.jpeg

trek97

Reaction score
After I got this done I did poke around a bit.
Can you tell me how to see and clear any fault codes that may come up?
Dont want to feel as though you're wasting your time...I can always go to Youtube.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
After I got this done I did poke around a bit.
Can you tell me how to see and clear any fault codes that may come up?
Dont want to feel as though you're wasting your time...I can always go to Youtube.
Each module (computer) on the truck is capable of storing it’s own fault codes. You would just connect to a particular module (body computer, engine, hvac, etc), and click on the check engine light icon in the bottom right corner, and read faults. Note- faults in the engine computer are usually the only faults that request the check engine light icon to illuminate in the instrument cluster screen.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
The harness is called a security gateway bypass. There is a security gateway in between the OBD port and the canbus system, and also secures the radio from the canbus system separate from the OBD port so the vehicle can’t be hacked and controlled via the radio. The gateway will allow information to be presented to a scan tool from the bus, but not the other way around- so it needs to be bypassed for any changes to be made, or any fault codes to be cleared. It can be removed when done using it, and is not needed at all to just connect to modules and read them, only when an actual change is to be made. Example- everything trek97 has done above so far, the 12+8 bypass was not needed.
AlfaOBD does not marry to the vehicle, it is just a bi-directional scan tool. It can be used on any ~2006+ FCA vehicle.
Cool thank you very much. Do you by any chance have recommendations as to what equipment to use and where to get it? My main goal is to activate the window down feature with the key fob and to keep the fog lights on with the high beams. Thanks for all the info

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can't enable the Global Windows up/down anymore. This was disabled for the 19+ models.
For the fog lights to stay on with the high beams, changes this setting to no.
CBC Features: Front Fog Lamp Dropout Enabled- NO

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is still in the BCM, but when you set it to ENABLE, it does nothing. Looks like it is disabled in the RF Hub so it does not take the remote command.

DomW

Reaction score
It is still in the BCM, but when you set it to ENABLE, it does nothing. Looks like it is disabled in the RF Hub so it does not take the remote command.
Thanks, I guess I will still have to us the remote start and A/C to cool off a sweltering truck before entry.

Skddmorse

Reaction score
I understand. I had to buy this android pad specifically for this. Everything I have is apple/Mac.
So all told Im in to it...$110 - pad, $25 - cord, $40 - Veepeak OBD, $50 - Alfaobd.
$225 total.
Coulda went cheaper on the pad, smaller...but my eyes aint getting no younger and I need things big to see them. argh.
Where did you get your cord and is veepeak a well known obd2 Bluetooth adapter? I want to make sure I get the right stuff. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered a OBDLINK MX+. It will be here Saturday. I have
the AlphaOBD and the Gateway Cable.

Would AlphaOBD show a code or something why the Rear
Parking Sensors stopped working? I press the button to turn
them back on, But they just stay off. I have turned the rear
auto-braking off. 2021 1500 Laramie

Malodave

Tone2222

Reaction score
Hello, resurrecting this thread - I too would like to know if AlphaOBD will show a code as to why my Rear
Parking Sensors stopped working, and if AlphaOBD can clear/reset the Rear Parking Sensors so they will start working again (I've replaced all the rear parking sensors but the system still stays off).

I recently bought the security gateway cable, correctly plugged it into the truck module (located behind the instrument cluster) and connected to my basic OBD2 scanner, however no codes showed up so I believe its only able to read engine codes.

2019 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.7 Diesel - All Stock

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello, resurrecting this thread - I too would like to know if AlphaOBD will show a code as to why my Rear
Parking Sensors stopped working, and if AlphaOBD can clear/reset the Rear Parking Sensors so they will start working again (I've replaced all the rear parking sensors but the system still stays off).

I recently bought the security gateway cable, correctly plugged it into the truck module (located behind the instrument cluster) and connected to my basic OBD2 scanner, however no codes showed up so I believe its only able to read engine codes.

2019 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 6.7 Diesel - All Stock
There is a STAR case # for this issue. They looked it up when I had mine in for the same problem. My paperwork is at work so I don't have the number here with me. I found my Post about it:

Well, after spending 10 Hours at the Dealer's Service Department Yesterday. My Rear Parking Sensors are working again.
They found a Software Update for them. STAR Case 102062370. Go in for what should have been minor fixes and Stay there all day.

They put me in a Jeep Compass near the end of the day. I could just squeeze into it. I left the Dealer and went to a nearby store. One
of the rear tires was 10 PSI low. So I headed back to the dealer to have them fill the tire and they said they got the truck fixed but needed to
road test it still. It passed and I got my Truck Back. I gave them the Keys for the Kiddie Car they wanted me to drive.
Malodave

Tone2222

Reaction score
Thanks for this I'll check with the dealer tomorow on that. Hopefully that's the remedy for the one rear parking sensor that is not working (not giving off a sonic pulse when in reverse) - the other 3 sensors always did give off a sonic pulse but I replaced them as a precaution anyway.

Last edited:

Tone2222

Reaction score
Update and Fix for my single rear park sensor: Took my truck to the dealer yesterday and let them know about STAR Case 102062370. The mechanic did not perform the update but instead tracked the problem down to a break in one of the wires in the factory wiring harness that runs from the front of the truck to rear - so he tied a new wire into the factory wiring harness located just behind the rear drivers side wheel (on the truck frame right next to the spare tire) and then ran that wire to the front of the truck and tied it back onto the same factory wiring harness located just before the drivers side front wheel well. All the park sensors are working now and the "service park system" indicator is no longer appearing so hopefully it stays this way.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
It’s not gauges log file, it’s faults and status log. But first you need to read the BCM system ID. Connect to the body computer > select battery icon on the bottom right > read system ID (let the list fully populate) > click tools icon up top > upload to google drive > sign in > upload faults and status log > body_chrysler_info. This will put the file into google drive.
I know this thread is really old, but I'm using it for guidance right now. I get as far as logging into google. When I click on upload to google drive, it says no data available. Any idea why this might be? A lot of the options seem to be gray instead of red. Seems like that's a problem. I keep looking at different options, settings, etc. and can't find an obvious issue. Any ideas? Thanks

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Also someone starta thread entitled "Alfaobd Known Changes 5th gen"
You can search that thread and pick up a few things..

Users who are viewing this thread