5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play in Lower Control Arm Ball Joints

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually you raise the front of the truck off the ground and have someone use a pry bar under the tire to repeatedly lift the tire taking the weight off the lower ball joint while watching for play. There should be ZERO play in a good ball joint.
You have to raise it by the lower control arm or it will not work.

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have to raise it by lower the control arm or it will not work.
Should work at full droop aswell, but raising the LCA will bring it closer to where it normally operates which may show wear differently that at droop.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should work at full droop aswell, but raising the LCA will bring it closer to where it normally operates which may show wear differently that at droop.
Prob poor choice of words on my part, yes it will still work but like you said it might not be as effective with the stress on the ball joint at full droop.

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Prob poor choice of words on my part, yes it will still work but like you said it might not be as effective with the stress on the ball joint at full droop.
Makes sense when you think about it tho, I’ll have to try this in the future should I suspect ball joint issues. I know on my old gmc there was always clunking at full droop as the UCA would hit a metal bump stop to limit travel.

On a side note, I just got my suspension maxx sway bar end links and they look really good. I’ll keep them for when my 2022 has worn out end links.

41magmag41

Reaction score
2019 Ram bighorn, 78000 miles, ball joints still original and tight. I would contact RAMCARES. They helped when my front diff and passenger half shaft started to strip gears, replacement cost $4100.00, they paid all but $300.00 of it and I was at 73000 miles well out of warranty.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Ram bighorn, 78000 miles, ball joints still original and tight. I would contact RAMCARES. They helped when my front diff and passenger half shaft started to strip gears, replacement cost $4100.00, they paid all but $300.00 of it and I was at 73000 miles well out of warranty.
I have been in contact with RamCares, they followed up looking for additional info which I provided. Hoping for a response soon.

Just for clarification, I didn't check myself. I had a tire shop and the dealer both tell me it was an issue... the tire shop refusing to do an alignment as a result. The main issue is I'm told my truck will not pass State Inspection, effectively taking my truck off the road.

I really hope it's a mistake some how. Error in the parts schematic or published data that makes it seem like the only way to get a ball joint is with the control arm.

Begs the question, if you're RAM would you design a bespoke ball joint for downstream repair revenue -or- use an off the shelf ball joint that's up to spec to reduce costs?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram most likely does not assemble, but simply buys the completed assy from a supplier and simply lists it for sale as such. The aftermarket may offer ball joints to press in, or the arm may be 1 time use only material. Mevotech sure looks good.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Point taken about the supplier. It's a good point actually. Hoping that a press in Ball Joint becomes known.

Mevotech will be the way to go for sure if there's no other way. Really excited to see how they work out for Jeff.

Just so everyone is aware... the OEM control arms are $750 each with 5 hours of labor to do both, with an alignment needed in addition. That pushes the cost to $2,300... and both the dealer and tire shop quoted the same price. Can I get it done marginally cheaper somewhere? Sure. But even $2K is too much in my opinion.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I had the Mevotech lowers installed today aaaaaand I am happy to report my front end clunk is finally gone. It was in fact the lower ball joints giving me fits. The front end feels like a new truck again.

Costs:
LT and RT lowers = $406
Install = $305
Alignment = $105

Total = $816

No clunking sound = Pricless

PXL_20220420_011639870.jpg
Screenshot_20220419-213812.png

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually you raise the front of the truck off the ground and have someone use a pry bar under the tire to repeatedly lift the tire taking the weight off the lower ball joint while watching for play. There should be ZERO play in a good ball joint.
ZERO play isn't true, Ram actually has specs for the lower ball joints. They also have a different procedure than what you claim.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ZERO play isn't true, Ram actually has specs for the lower ball joints. They also have a different procedure than what you claim.
Maybe, and I’m not aware of rams procedure on checking ball joints. This is how I was taught to do it by a very experienced mechanic and has worked well for me. If you can see any movement in the ball joint by eye it’s to much.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mevotech LCAs...are the ball joints verified to be replaceable?

(Ball joints are a wear item and should be replaced when they exceed tolerance. I am gobsmacked that the Ram LCA does not allow the ball joint to be swapped out.)

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score

(Ball joints are a wear item and should be replaced when they exceed tolerance. I am gobsmacked that the Ram LCA does not allow the ball joint to be swapped out.)
The website says it's pressed in so it should be replaceable.

Reactions: c3k

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It is not that they don't allow it, they don't sell it.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score

You and me both!

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I had the Mevotech lowers installed today aaaaaand I am happy to report my front end clunk is finally gone. It was in fact the lower ball joints giving me fits. The front end feels like a new truck again.

Costs:
LT and RT lowers = $406
Install = $305
Alignment = $105

Total = $816

No clunking sound = Pricless

View attachment 127015
View attachment 127016
Really hope these work out great for you, because it's probably the root I have to take as well. Any chance you can post a pic of how they look on your truck?

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I've been told as well... some play is built in.

Any idea how much play is "within spec" or how they measure that? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/