5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Play in Lower Control Arm Ball Joints

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Today I brought my truck to a local tire dealer for new rubber and an alignment while they were at it. I have a 2019 Rebel, with Air Suspension, about 37,500 miles on the truck, and it is bone-stock. I just got a call from the shop and I was told that I had "a lot of play in the lower control arm ball joints, it's not dangerous yet, but we're not going to do the alignment."

Up to this point I have had no indication something was amiss, putting an easy 1,000 miles on the truck in the last week. Additionally, in November, I brought the truck to the dealer for service... oil change, air filters, tire rotation, the works. Nothing was noted at that time.

My first instinct was the tire shop was full of BS so I pressed him for more details and specifics. To wit he provided a lot of detail, and mentioned that there's no way the truck would pass a State Inspection in it's current condition, and is advocating me to take it to the dealership. So now I know the shop is on the level, is forgoing the easy $100 they could have charged me for the alignment, and telling me to go someplace else to have the repair done.

So my first question is, is this a thing? Anyone else need to replace ball joints at 35-38K miles on a truck with stock suspension? Is this normal wear?

Second question: Can I go after the dealer for not bringing this to my attention when I had the truck serviced in November and demand recourse? Leading to my third question...

I've gone beyond my bumper to bumper warranty, so this potential repair is no longer covered correct? If I can prove that this issue should have been identified before the warranty period do I have a leg to stand on?

I appreciate any advice and insight. Thanks.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not uncommon for us to replace ball joints every 30-40000 miles in northern Ontario from driving bush roads all day. If your roads are full of potholes they wont last forever.

So far I am at 62000km (38k miles) which is about when I’d normally have to replace them, but both upper and lower joints are tight so far. Hoping they last until summer at least.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s not uncommon for us to replace ball joints every 30-40000 miles in northern Ontario from driving bush roads all day. If your roads are full of potholes they wont last forever.

So far I am at 62000km (38k miles) which is about when I’d normally have to replace them, but both upper and lower joints are tight so far. Hoping they last until summer at least.
Good to know, thanks. Roads in New England aren't the greatest, but they aren't bush roads and most of the offroading I've done is soft sand beaches at slow speeds.

Sounds like they are failing early, but not in the extreme.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just had my truck in for inspection with 35k miles and was told my lower ball joints have excessive play in them. I immediately made an appt with the dealership since I am almost out of factory warranty. Of course dealership said they were fine even though I showed them the video (link below) I took while checking them myself. Clearly play in them with clunking sound that I have been hearing off-road. Going to a different dealer this coming Friday 😡.

Last edited:

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI for those of you needing new lower ball joints out of warranty Mevotech makes lowers for our trucks (link below) at half the cost of OEM and are probably far superior to OEM. If I cannot get the dealer to replace mine under warranty then this is the route I will go.

Last edited:

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I have 60k on mine truck with air ride suspension and mine are still fine. The only sound I have is bad sway bar end link on driver's side. But they do not make replacements at this time. Bought one that said is supposed to be for the truck and it doesn't fit. Would have to drill out sway bar hole larger to make it fit.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 60k on mine truck with air ride suspension and mine are still fine. The only sound I have is bad sway bar end link on driver's side. But they do not make replacements at this time. Bought one that said is supposed to be for the truck and it doesn't fit. Would have to drill out sway bar hole larger to make it fit.
I don’t have air suspension, but have had mine replaced under warranty. Should be mopar parts available.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have air suspension, but have had mine replaced under warranty. Should be mopar parts available.
This brings me hope. Did you have significant play in the ball joints? Were you having some clunking in the front?

Last edited:

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This brings me hope. Did you have significant play in the ball joints? Were you having some clunking in the front?
I had my sway bar end links replaced, ball joints are still okay with 64k hard km.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have yet to make it in to the dealer to have mine looked at... life and work have got in the way. That said, I don't feel the slightest indication something is amiss... no sound, no sloppiness in the steering, no wondering on the road, no pull to one side or the other, no perceivable ware to my new tires. Everything feels and drives as it should. I still plan to bring the truck in soon, but haven't had a chance because it's clearly not urgent at all.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Updating this thread...

I finally made it to the dealer today to have it looked at, and they confirmed that both have excessive play and need to be replaced... and by replaced they mean both lower control arms to the tune of $2300! I'm beyond furious, but hoping this is some kind of mistake.

The control arm part numbers are: 68261620AE and 68261621AE

Does anyone have access to an assembly schematic to confirm that the ball joint isn't a separate part?

@RamCares - Can you help verify and/or resolve this?

It appears to my untrained eyes that one should be able to remove/replace the ball joint from the control arm. Note the surface rust on the pictures below.

Edit - In the second picture there's IV0 or something stamped in to the top... maybe that helps identify it?
BJ1.jpg
BJ2.jpg BJ3.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After looking closer at my pics, I went out and cleaned off the area. There's a stamping that says W 2019 and some kind of symbol... I hope someone can ID it.
BJ4 (2).jpg

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Updating this thread...

I finally made it to the dealer today to have it looked at, and they confirmed that both have excessive play and need to be replaced... and by replaced they mean both lower control arms to the tune of $2300! I'm beyond furious, but hoping this is some kind of mistake.

Does anyone have access to an assembly schematic to confirm that the ball joint isn't a separate part?

It appears to my untrained eyes that one should be able to remove/replace the ball joint from the control arm. Note the surface rust on the pictures below.

Edit - In the second picture there's IV0 or something stamped in to the top... maybe that helps identify it?
Hi,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,
We responded to your message, please take some time to review it and get back with us at your earliest convenience.

Rob
Ram Cares
Thanks for the quick response! Sent you a message back with all the details. Let me know if you need anything else. Greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No... none. No discernable evidence of an issue while driving.

However, I am told that the truck will not pass the MA State Inspection, which for me is in August. If it doesn't pass inspection it effectively takes my truck off the road.

I'm hoping between now and August, something somewhere gets "clarified" and there's a ball joint replacement without requiring the lower control arms to go with it.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Updating this thread...

View attachment 126338
View attachment 126339 View attachment 126340
The dealer can keep racking the cash register, but there is no way the value of the work is $2300. Warranty or independent.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The dealer can keep racking the cash register, but there is no way the value of the work is $2300. Warranty or independent.
Agreed, $2300 is crazy talk. I have seen the OEM lowers online for $425 ea. and let's say 5 hrs labor max at $150/hr rate, by my math that's $1,600 give or take which is still crazy IMO.

I'm at $430 shipped for both Mevotech lowers and my local shop says 3hrs max at $100/hr labor rate. My math says $730 sounds much better.

Mevotechs look to be good quality.

PXL_20220414_214254359.jpg

Last edited:

mfrauenhoffer

Reaction score
Can you post a video or explain how you checked the ball joints? Were you just bouncing the front of the truck or?

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you post a video or explain how you checked the ball joints? Were you just bouncing the front of the truck or?
Usually you raise the front of the truck off the ground and have someone use a pry bar under the tire to repeatedly lift the tire taking the weight off the lower ball joint while watching for play. There should be ZERO play in a good ball joint.

Users who are viewing this thread