5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ordered truck with Offroad package but didn’t get 1” suspension lift?

griebs303

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but for me, it would be really, really difficult to spot height difference of 1" just by eyeballing, without actually getting accurate measurements. Just saying.
Haha yeah I don't disagree there, I think the reality is I had expected the ORP height difference to be more distinct (over expectation on my part), with the measurements that rsonedecker grabbed the difference is there, its just more subtle

rsonedecker

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but for me, it would be really, really difficult to spot height difference of 1" just by eyeballing, without actually getting accurate measurements. Just saying.
Many of the trucks I walked by yesterday were in slight tire ruts because they sit there all the time, and those ruts could be 1/2" easily. Not to mention tire pressure, etc.

I wish the OP would come back and answer some of the questions.

Drago1978

Reaction score
Yep was able to find labels on everything but the rear springs!
View attachment 15884
View attachment 15885
View attachment 15886 (front spring)
Thank you for the pic’s
This definitely doesn’t make sense to me at all that’s for sure.
I took pics of the shock on my truck and the Laramie at the dealer we are both the same hight. Identical Trucks except mine has the Offroad package and the other is stock. My shock has the green lines on the label like your truck. the stock Laramie has red lines on the label. And yet both trucks are the same hight same wheels tires same everything except my truck should be an inch taller. I can’t explain it so I’m going to try talking to the dealership again see if I can get anywhere with them???

Attachments

• EF32EDC3-99C3-4E7E-B40D-805F96C44574.jpeg
    EF32EDC3-99C3-4E7E-B40D-805F96C44574.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 54513C86-792E-42AF-A38C-EA99FBE175C6.jpeg
    54513C86-792E-42AF-A38C-EA99FBE175C6.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 85

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Thank you for the pic’s
This definitely doesn’t make sense to me at all that’s for sure.
I took pics of the shock on my truck and the Laramie at the dealer we are both the same hight. Identical Trucks except mine has the Offroad package and the other is stock. My shock has the green lines on the label like your truck. the stock Laramie has red lines on the label. And yet both trucks are the same hight same wheels tires same everything except my truck should be an inch taller. I can’t explain it so I’m going to try talking to the dealership again see if I can get anywhere with them???
You said you're at 22" which is what I am seeing a driven-off-the-lot Laramie with ORP should might be at (once everything works itself in) - Laramie ORPs are just under 22.5" "new" on the lot. The local dealer where I just came from where I measured two North Edition Big Horns has a non-ORP Laramie Sport demo there that is owned by a dealership employee. It measured at just above 21" with 800K miles on it, while all the non-ORP Laramies "new" on the lot I have measured over the last two days are ALL at 21.5", and I'm not joking - they are all measuring the same. If the Laramie that you are comparing to is indeed 22", then I'd say something is more wrong with that truck then yours as it's too high. Are you sure it's not a Big Horn ;) (Big Horns you have to subtract 1/2" off the measure when comparing to Laramies due to the fender flare.)

I measured two Big Horn North Editions today as well, compared to regular Big Horns next to them. The North Editions, which had the off road shocks and springs (verified by myself getting a little wet and dirty), measured 23" front, and just under 25" back. The regular Big Horns were as before, 22" and 24" respectively. They had the same part numbers as the ORP numbers I've listed before. So they do indeed sit 1" higher in front, and about .8-.9" higher in back.

Edit: my buddy confirmed that it's not a Laramie demo, it's actually owned by a dealership employee.

Last edited:

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Directly from the brochure.
View attachment 16008
Yep, I don't have any doubt that all ORPs are supposed to have a lift, and as far as I and my dealer sees, there's no way to get the ORP and not get the lift.

And all my fun measurements have shown that to be true. The ORP trucks are about 1" higher on the lot.

But whether or not that height difference (compared to on-the-lot trucks) is maintained once the truck is driven down the road and over bumps and the suspension settles, no idea...

Last edited:

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Two Laramie ORP trucks measured this morning on my way to a client in Central Ohio. Both around 22.5". One was on quite a slope, but it still was slightly under that on one side and slightly over that on the other.

Would be interested to hear what owners of trucks with miles are measuring at.

Edit: Correction, one was a Laramie Longhorn (no air).

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To the OP, is your truck completely empty? Instead of measuring fender to fender, you should get a dealer to pull your truck and another or two into a bay for you with a nice flat floor and take a measurement from a hard point on the frame in a few different spots. I'd also make sure you're comparing trim, cab, bed, tire size, and level of content exactly the same across trucks, because a truck with a few options can weigh significantly more than a lower spec of the same trim. If you have the coil suspension, I can't really help ya, otherwise I'd offer to take any measurements you needed off my own truck in my garage. See my sig for details

Edit: also, can you post your window sticker? I know you posted your build sheets already but I'm suspicious of the sticker for some reason...

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Hey OP, anything new concerning your truck? Also, don't think you've answered everyone's questions that would help you better determine what's going on. ;)

Can you post a picture of how you are measuring?

I've solidified around here that "on the lot" non-ORP Laramies measure 21.5" (center hub to fender flare), "on the lot" ORP Laramies measure 22.5", and two "used" Laramies both measured at just over 21". So it looks like the suspension does settle a little bit. If you're Laramie with off road is measuring around 22", I'd say you're pretty normal.

Also, I noticed that you said you measured Big Horns with the Off Road Package - but wanted to reiterate that they will measure differently because they don't have the fender flare. Big Horns with ORP sit at about 23".

Drago1978

Reaction score
Hey, OP, where'd you go? Curious if you solved your issue.
Hey rsonedecker, I’ve called Ram customer support and been back and forth to my local dealership several times, sorry to say nothing has really been solved yet. I’m still not 100% sure i have the 1” lift. I’ve been doing a lot of research and comparing my truck to others. As far as I can tell I got the correct suspension parts installed unfortunately the one sticker on the shocks that actually say lifted or non lifted is a paper sticker and too damaged to read on my shocks so that was no help. It bothers me that my truck sits the same hight as a stock Laramie when I ordered it with the Offroad package but
At this point I’m just considering just doing a lift kit and being done with it. I’m still doing research on lift kits too not being a 100% about the Offroad 1” difference is a concern could make a difference on a lift kit too.
So to be honest things are just up in the air at the moment. I’m just trying to do as must research as I can so I can figure out how to go forward

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey rsonedecker, I’ve called Ram customer support and been back and forth to my local dealership several times, sorry to say nothing has really been solved yet. I’m still not 100% sure i have the 1” lift. I’ve been doing a lot of research and comparing my truck to others. As far as I can tell I got the correct suspension parts installed unfortunately the one sticker on the shocks that actually say lifted or non lifted is a paper sticker and too damaged to read on my shocks so that was no help. It bothers me that my truck sits the same hight as a stock Laramie when I ordered it with the Offroad package but
At this point I’m just considering just doing a lift kit and being done with it. I’m still doing research on lift kits too not being a 100% about the Offroad 1” difference is a concern could make a difference on a lift kit too.
So to be honest things are just up in the air at the moment. I’m just trying to do as must research as I can so I can figure out how to go forward

Any chance of the dealer taking off a strut or two for you to measure?

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Well, we can see you have the parts, so I'm sure you have the ORP (and don't worry about the sticker, the part numbers tell the story). And if your truck is measuring at 22", you've got some kind of lift because no regular Laramie was above 21.5" that I measured. But what I can offer you is experience in measuring trucks like crazy, and now with my own truck (finally) - depending on how the truck is sitting, and I mean just even a little "not level", the measurement can vary by 1/2" easily. My truck sitting on the parking pad at the house here sits at 21.5" on one side and just over 21" on the other side (almost a complete .5" different, and it's only VERY slightly angled for drainage. And as I said, if you measured a regular Laramie at 22" then that's not a normal height for a Laramie, or it was not sitting level, etc. How many trucks have you measured, because my concern in your endeavor is that I only hear this "22 inch" measurement, and I'm wondering if you've measured any others?

Also, I found the most accurate way to measure was to measure by putting the tab of the measuring tape into the grove along the bottom of the hub cap - makes for a perfect, accurate index point, and measuring to the lip of fender. Then I subtract 1.25" as the hub cap is exactly 2.5" in diameter. This guarantees that you're always measuring from the exact same starting point.

So out of curiosity, can you do this - Take a tape measure out and place the tab in that groove (see pic) and measure to the lip of your fender flare (like pic 2 below, the 22.5" mark), on BOTH sides of your truck (when it is as level as you can get it)? What measurements do you get?

IMG_7833.JPG IMG_7834.JPG

JayMann

Reaction score
OFF ROAD pkg laramie here - I will try and do this at lunch time - also curious to see what numbers I get

skol

Reaction score
Hoping to get some insight. I have a 4x4 Laramie Non-ORP. Put on the the Mopar 2” Lift. Currently have 68320249AA front springs. Will the 68320249AB front springs give the front end an additional 1” lift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Hoping to get some insight. I have a 4x4 Laramie Non-ORP. Put on the the Mopar 2” Lift. Currently have 68320249AA front springs. Will the 68320249AB front springs give the front end an additional 1” lift?
Are you sure your spring part numbers are 68320249AA? 68320249AB is just the replacement part number for 68320249AA, they both are ORP Springs, and if you don't have ORP you shouldn't have that part number.
What are your rear spring part numbers? What color are the stickers on your front shocks? Part numbers?

skol

Reaction score
Are you sure your spring part numbers are 68320249AA? 68320249AB is just the replacement part number for 68320249AA, they both are ORP Springs, and if you don't have ORP you shouldn't have that part number.
What are your rear spring part numbers? What color are the stickers on your front shocks? Part numbers?

Sorry, My mistake. My front springs are 68320236AB

Lawfin

Reaction score
For both rsonedecker and skol - Just pulling together info from a few other threads. I own the Big Horn with the Mopar 2" Fox lift, and I too am looking for an additional 1" of lift up front. Like skol, I currently have the original front springs numbered 68320236AB. Having heard from others on this forum in other posts, I am led to believe that if I replace those springs with springs numbered 68320249AB, I will get 1" of additional lift for a total of 3" in front. I'm trying to get confirmation that the spring lengths are different, but I have been unable to find a dealership that has been able/willing to help on that score as of yet (though I have a call and a few emails pending). One dealership even said, "You will need to trust the forums." So, I think I'm going to have faith, and pull the trigger on this one. If there is anyone out there who has done this, it would be great to have a confidence builder . . . .

PS - Finally posting a picture of my truck _DSC3670.png icture of my

skol

Reaction score
For both rsonedecker and skol - Just pulling together info from a few other threads. I own the Big Horn with the Mopar 2" Fox lift, and I too am looking for an additional 1" of lift up front. Like skol, I currently have the original front springs numbered 68320236AB. Having heard from others on this forum in other posts, I am led to believe that if I replace those springs with springs numbered 68320249AB, I will get 1" of additional lift for a total of 3" in front. I'm trying to get confirmation that the spring lengths are different, but I have been unable to find a dealership that has been able/willing to help on that score as of yet (though I have a call and a few emails pending). One dealership even said, "You will need to trust the forums." So, I think I'm going to have faith, and pull the trigger on this one. If there is anyone out there who has done this, it would be great to have a confidence builder . . . .

PS - Finally posting a picture of my truck View attachment 21702 icture of my

I was feeling the same. I just went ahead and ordered the springs. Hopefully I get them by next week and I’ll measure it and compare to my factory springs. If and when you get your springs, please advise your outcome

rsonedecker

Reaction score
I was feeling the same. I just went ahead and ordered the springs. Hopefully I get them by next week and I’ll measure it and compare to my factory springs. If and when you get your springs, please advise your outcome
I know it's been done in the last few weeks, and a local guy bought some to put on his non-ORP fronts according to my dealer, but can't track that one down. What hasn't been done that I know of is someone putting them on the fox shocks of the mopar kit. The springs are not that much taller, they are just higher spring rate, so they don't compress as much as the non-ORP (which gives most of the lift).

Users who are viewing this thread