5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Order Tracking

Kumba1010

Reaction score
Just ordered a 2023 Laramie today! Can't wait. Dealer said 3 to 5 months. This will be my first Dodge. Previous 2 trucks were F150s. It's going to be a long 3-5 months

You will get it sooner than you think...average now (looking at timelines of members) is about two months. Btw, welcome to the family

ExFordGuy

Reaction score
Wow! Order placed on Saturday (3/18/23), and I already have a VIN on Monday! Dealer said he thought it would be about a week before there was a VIN. But 2 days???

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wow! Order placed on Saturday (3/18/23), and I already have a VIN on Monday! Dealer said he thought it would be about a week before there was a VIN. But 2 days???
Now that you have a VIN, submit it to Triple_b, and sign up with Ram for updates. My order, I got a text that it shipped 4 hours before it showed built.

6of36

Reaction score
Do I just PM it to him?
Also, go to the email from Ram confirming your order. At the bottom there is a link that says don't miss an update. you sign up for text updates there. Also keep in touch with your salesman. Once the truck is built, he can use dealer connect, to see exactly where the truck is. From the plant, it will move to a storage lot, awaiting each move in transportation.

ExFordGuy

Reaction score
Also, go to the email from Ram confirming your order. At the bottom there is a link that says don't miss an update. you sign up for text updates there. Also keep in touch with your salesman. Once the truck is built, he can use dealer connect, to see exactly where the truck is. From the plant, it will move to a storage lot, awaiting each move in transportation.

Thank you very much. Just did both.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just placed an order today - was in for the tailgate recall on my 2021 and the dealer said why not run the numbers while you wait... approx 10K equity in the 2021 so he said lets order you a 2023 with a few upgrades and see what we can do for price with no commitment, if it shows up and the numbers don't work you don't take it. So given he wanted to order, no deposit required and the truck I want doesn't exist in nationwide inventory here we go!

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just placed an order today - was in for the tailgate recall on my 2021 and the dealer said why not run the numbers while you wait... approx 10K equity in the 2021 so he said lets order you a 2023 with a few upgrades and see what we can do for price with no commitment, if it shows up and the numbers don't work you don't take it. So given he wanted to order, no deposit required and the truck I want doesn't exist in nationwide inventory here we go!
So the dealer just ordered a "sold order" with your name on it, but you haven't committed to a price (meaning you're not committed to buying it)? Sounds to me like the dealer is just trying to get extra inventory by using the "sold order" trick...that's against FCA rules.

6of36

Reaction score
So the dealer just ordered a "sold order" with your name on it, but you haven't committed to a price (meaning you're not committed to buying it)? Sounds to me like the dealer is just trying to get extra inventory by using the "sold order" trick...that's against FCA rules.
I ordered mine with no deposit.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was also surprised but happy to go along as I want a very specific truck that never seems to exist outside a factory order. He knows I am a serious buyer if the numbers are right as I've bought 3 trucks from him in the past so my guess is he is very confident he can make a deal I will accept. He commited to selling at invoice plus incentives and then I will try t negotiate additional discounts. I am still going to shop a few other good dealers though to see if there are better options.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered mine with no deposit.
Deposit isn't the issue. If the dealer ordered it as a stock unit (and the buyer can decide when it shows up), that's normal procedure. But if the dealer placed it as a custom "sold order", and FCA finds out that it's not really a "sold order", then FCA could assess penalties.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Deposit isn't the issue. If the dealer ordered it as a stock unit (and the buyer can decide when it shows up), that's normal procedure. But if the dealer placed it as a custom "sold order", and FCA finds out that it's not really a "sold order", then FCA could assess penalties.
I think it is semantics - any sold order can be rejected by the customer after the order was placed and he ordered this truck based on what I want and knowing I am interested in the truck assuming numbers don't change drastically during the build time. I honestly don't think he wants a CC long box in inventory

6of36

Reaction score
Mine was ordered as a sold order.

lsupcar

Reaction score
reference point.
Ordered Rebel with most options Feb 21, 2023 through Mark Dodge.
Arrived at Mark Dodge today, March 31, 2023.
Hope to pick up next week.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My brother was a CDJR salesman for years & now works for a bank who audits them. I can confirm it’s against FCA rules for dealers to order in that manner and they can penalize dealers for that - even revoke their license if they ignore & continue.

Not to say that it might not bode well in your favor which in the end is all we really care about anyway. I almost ordered a truck in the same manner but went with a different dealer instead. I told them what the other group was doing for me & they explained the same thing that @Eighty did. Said they don’t deal that way & that it’s not worth the risk & fines of getting caught by FCA.

Sometimes when dealers operate like this there’s other shady things they can be doing also. Staff/management can end up in prison due to fraud if they dabble too far. But also end right back into a managers seat after parole. This is one reason my brother left his long term dealership. 😆

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
My brother was a CDJR salesman for years & now works for a bank who audits them. I can confirm it’s against FCA rules for dealers to order in that manner and they can penalize dealers for that - even revoke their license if they ignore & continue.

Not to say that it might not bode well in your favor which in the end is all we really care about anyway. I almost ordered a truck in the same manner but went with a different dealer instead. I told them what the other group was doing for me & they explained the same thing that @Eighty did. Said they don’t deal that way & that it’s not worth the risk & fines of getting caught by FCA.

Sometimes when dealers operate like this there’s other shady things they can be doing also. Staff/management can end up in prison due to fraud if they dabble too far. But also end right back into a managers seat after parole. This is one reason my brother left his long term dealership. 😆
the dealer can bend the rules if they let their area rep know what is happening
because it happened to me
I had three orders first two were messed up by dealer
my name was on all three orders with only one deposit

6of36

Reaction score

Why is there a problem ordering without a deposit? I'm a returning customer with the same salesman. No dealer in the country has what I want. He custom ordered me a truck without a deposit. The truck came in, but was missing the trailer surround camera system. I declined the truck. It's not available at this time, but if they get their sh1t together, and make it available, like they told me at customer care would be in the 2nd week of March, I would order another. I'm about to give up though, if they can't get their sh1t together, and buy a Ford. I really want a Ram, but they are sure screwed up lately.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Why is there a problem ordering without a deposit? I'm a returning customer with the same salesman. No dealer in the country has what I want. He custom ordered me a truck without a deposit. The truck came in, but was missing the trailer surround camera system. I declined the truck. It's not available at this time, but if they get their sh1t together, and make it available, like they told me at customer care would be in the 2nd week of March, I would order another. I'm about to give up though, if they can't get their sh1t together, and buy a Ford. I really want a Ram, but they are sure screwed up lately.
I don’t know why you’re stuck on the deposit thing. It’s not about whether there’s a deposit. It’s about whether dealers are ordering “sold orders” with a buyer’s name that the buyer hasn’t committed to actually buying. That’s a cheating method to get more trucks than were allocated.

6of36

Reaction score
I don’t know why you’re stuck on the deposit thing. It’s not about whether there’s a deposit. It’s about whether dealers are ordering “sold orders” with a buyer’s name that the buyer hasn’t committed to actually buying. That’s a cheating method to get more trucks than were allocated.
He ordered the truck he wanted, as sold to him, but he can decide not to take it. Any sold order can be refused. It's not like they are ordering a Demon, where there is an allotment.

Users who are viewing this thread