5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

Ramguymario

Reaction score
ram 19' limited 5.7 here...I use the same EURO SPEC 5W40 that my AMG uses with a 300ml bottle of ceratec (moly). I have no check engine light, MDS runs fine, and no tick of any sort. Engine oil temps are on avg 10 deg Celsius lower. I used to get avg oil temps of 105-115c now it never goes above 98c. Take that how you will, in my experience the HEMI is a super forgiving engine that tends to love a beefer oil than 5w20.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
ram 19' limited 5.7 here...I use the same EURO SPEC 5W40 that my AMG uses with a 300ml bottle of ceratec (moly). I have no check engine light, MDS runs fine, and no tick of any sort. Engine oil temps are on avg 10 deg Celsius lower. I used to get avg oil temps of 105-115c now it never goes above 98c. Take that how you will, in my experience the HEMI is a super forgiving engine that tends to love a beefer oil than 5w20.
5W20 is all about economy and nothing about longevity. I totally agree with your assessment.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
5W20 is all about economy and nothing about longevity. I totally agree with your assessment.

I've heard both sides about this argument, and I'm honestly open minded to what is actually accurate.

But unless you have some sort of scientific article you can post, that specifically about the 5.7L Hemi and oil weights, that state you will increase longevity using a thicker oil than specified, I'm going to put this down as personal belief based on anecdotal data and personal experience.

I have yet to see anything other than someone's personal beliefs that say that. But again, I will use 5W-40 tomorrow if someone has actual proof to back it up. However, while under factory powertrain warranty, I'm going to stick with Mopar certified oils and weights.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard both sides about this argument, and I'm honestly open minded to what is actually accurate.

But unless you have some sort of scientific article you can post, that specifically about the 5.7L Hemi and oil weights, that state you will increase longevity using a thicker oil than specified, I'm going to put this down as personal belief based on anecdotal data and personal experience.

I have yet to see anything other than someone's personal beliefs that say that. But again, I will use 5W-40 tomorrow if someone has actual proof to back it up. However, while under factory powertrain warranty, I'm going to stick with Mopar certified oils and weights.
That, and adding additional additives to any oil change the viscosity rating, so what started out as a 5w-40 for him, is no longer a 5w-40 after adding the additive

Ramguymario

Reaction score
That, and adding additional additives to any oil change the viscosity rating, so what started out as a 5w-40 for him, is no longer a 5w-40 after adding the additive
I am simply using my past experience and knowledge with amg/porsche and applying it to our simple, humble ram. its not that crazy

Ramguymario

Reaction score
To everyone who trust that FCA has our engines longevity in mind, please be reminded we are in 2022 and factory fill is still conventional pennzoil. olive oil is better than dino pennzoil.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To everyone who trust that FCA has our engines longevity in mind, please be reminded we are in 2022 and factory fill is still conventional pennzoil. olive oil is better than dino pennzoil.
Factory fill is Pennzoil synthetic. Unless you can provide prove otherwise. Granted most of today's synthetic oils are group 3 based.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score

I believe that the creation of 0W20 and 5W20 was solely for the purpose of manufacturers meeting more stringent mileage requirements. I also believe that it's not rocket science to come to that conclusion fairly easily based on past history.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Sure, but the 5.7L has been using 20W since as long as I can remember, I have yet to hear of any shops or 3rd party companies recommend higher oil weights after warranty. You think that there would be some articles made by 3rd parties that recommend using a heavier weight for longevity, but I haven't seen them.

I could have easily missed it, so I'm asking if you know of any, again I'm open to adjusting my opinion with some concrete proof. The 5.7L Hemi has been around a while, you think there would be something if 5W-20 wasn't the best option.

I remember when Ford switched to 5W-20 in 2001 or so, they then proceeded to back-spec all previous engines to that weight because they stated it actually improved upper-valve lubrication. These are vehicles sold years earlier no longer effecting their CAFE numbers, yet they choose to recommend the lighter oil anyways.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am simply using my past experience and knowledge with amg/porsche and applying it to our simple, humble ram. its not that crazy
You want to be like that, I use Rotella 15w-40 in my 1966 Poly 318, and my 2000 5.9l Magnum. Both are Mopar engines, so using your logic of past experience, that should work in my 2020 5.7l Hemi

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I believe that the creation of 0W20 and 5W20 was solely for the purpose of manufacturers meeting more stringent mileage requirements. I also believe that it's not rocket science to come to that conclusion fairly easily based on past history.

Sure, that makes perfect sense to me for 0W-20 to 5W-20. Not rocket science to assume that. But could the 5W-20 weight, which has been the original recommended weight been chosen because it has other positive properties, like better upper engine lubrication maybe?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure, that makes perfect sense to me for 0W-20 to 5W-20. Not rocket science to assume that. But could the 5W-20 weight, which has been the original recommended weight been chosen because it has other positive properties, like better upper engine lubrication maybe?
If I lived in a cold climate, I would probably stick with the 5W20 in the cold months and switch in the warmer months. In warm climates, I don't think you would have any issues using a higher viscosity oil or ensuring proper lubrication. Not an oil engineer or an engine designer. The 0W20 - 5W20 oils started coming out when the government was cracking down on manufacturers meeting stricter mpg requirements. To me, that says it all.

Ramguymario

Reaction score
You want to be like that, I use Rotella 15w-40 in my 1966 Poly 318, and my 2000 5.9l Magnum. Both are Mopar engines, so using your logic of past experience, that should work in my 2020 5.7l Hemi
No, I dont believe I am saying that at all. For example, My wifes porsche Macan 2.0 uses the VW ea888 engine. It started life with a 5w40 (porsche a40) oil weight recommendation and is now recommended to use 0w20 (porsche c20). it is literally the exact same motor, internals everything the same. Its not that crazy to go from 5w20 to 5w40.

Ramguymario

Reaction score
And he knows about as much as my Grandmother does.....
I thought this was household knowledge to ram owners.... hes a nice guy used to be a tech before becoming service manager so idk man. other forum posts have confirmed as well

SD Rebel

Reaction score
If I lived in a cold climate, I would probably stick with the 5W20 in the cold months and switch in the warmer months. In warm climates, I don't think you would have any issues using a higher viscosity oil or ensuring proper lubrication. Not an oil engineer or an engine designer. The 0W20 - 5W20 oils started coming out when the government was cracking down on manufacturers meeting stricter mpg requirements. To me, that says it all.

That makes sense to me regarding 0W-20 and 5W-20, agree with that assessment.

Though I'm wondering about 5W-20 itself, which I believe was the spec starting in 2009 with the revised 5.7L. Does a higher oil weight beyond 5W-20 improve longevity, I don't think I've seen any proof of that yet.

Users who are viewing this thread