5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Preference?

Ramjack

Reaction score
It doesn't create cooler air intake, he was saying a cooler air intake charge also helps with power.

As far as engine power, most people are used to the old school 180 tstat for better performance because you could safely run more timing without detonation. But that doesn't necessarily mean it was the optimal temperature for combustion
I purely talking about power. To me "optimal temperature for combustion" implies a balance/compromise of efficiency, emissions, and power. I'm still researching and finding mixed information. But I'm consistently seeing that cooler engines make more power on the dyno; nothing authoritative though.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Forgive me, but I'm skeptical. I think it's an emissions thing. If you have a citation you can share, that would be great. I'll see what I can find on my own. And how do higher engine temperatures result in cooler intake temperatures?

Absolutely, I was skeptical as well, I personally remember reading about it on a high-performance thermostat website regarding changing thermostat for cooler ones, they were comparing modern engines and why a 180F thermostat wasn't always a good choice. Higher temps allow the fuel to burn better, which helps both power production and efficiency. Of course I'm talking about street cars here, If you go with a racing or highly modified example, that could be different.

It was years ago, but I'll try to find that one, but here are some from a quick Google search that covers it. I'm sure you can do a more in-depth search to find more scientific or industry explanations ....

Last edited:

Jprec8it

Reaction score
How much do you want to pay? Somewhat sarcastic and somewhat serious...

I prefer Amsoil.
OE is the same cost as any other off the shelf synthetic and is miles better.
XL if you do some towing too and good for a 12k mile or 1 year interval.
Better yet is Signature Series with a 25k mile normal duty or 1 year change interval.

Let me know if you need more reasons to order some and protect your Hemi with the best.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Is the amsoil certified for the ram?

Ramjack

Reaction score
Absolutely, I was skeptical as well, I personally remember reading about it on a high-performance thermostat website regarding changing thermostat for cooler ones, they were comparing modern engines and why a 180F thermostat wasn't always a good choice. Higher temps allow the fuel to burn better, which helps both power production and efficiency. Of course I'm talking about street cars here, If you go with a racing or highly modified example, that could be different.

It was years ago, but I'll try to find that one, but here are some from a quick Google search that covers it. I'm sure you can do a more in-depth search to find more scientific or industry explanations ....

Thanks for sharing those links. The second one (Questek) is particularly interesting. Just to be clear (I think you already know this), I'm not advocating for the old school logic of putting a 160deg or 180deg thermostat in a vehicle that is designed for a 192deg t-stat. What I'm questioning is whether the manufacturers' move to designing engines to run above 200-220 degF instead of 180-200 degF actually results in more (or even the same) power. Better efficiency . . . sure. Lower emissions . . . sure. More power (or even the same) . . . I'm not so sure.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing those links. The second one (Questek) is particularly interesting. Just to be clear (I think you already know this), I'm not advocating for the old school logic of putting a 160deg or 180deg thermostat in a vehicle that is designed for a 192deg t-stat. What I'm questioning is whether the manufacturers' move to designing engines to run above 200-220 degF instead of 180-200 degF actually results in more (or even the same) power. Better efficiency . . . sure. Lower emissions . . . sure. More power (or even the same) . . . I'm not so sure.

When it comes to burning fuel better, I don't think you can get increased mpg and emission without unleashing more power through that efficiency.

Now if your question is, did they move to this for more mpg and reduced emission vs power, it's highly likely the additional power or efficiency was likely last on their list of reasons. Probably a nice bonus with their main goal being better overall engine efficiency. The only negative if running higher temps, and we are only talking about 10% here, is increased wear to the engine. But with modern materials, it's likely negligible the durability difference between a 180F engine vs 200F engine.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Definitely never seen mine above 190, and I drive in 120 degree traffic daily.
Not sure what to tell you, unless they forgot to install a thermostat in your engine at the factory.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Definitely never seen mine above 190, and I drive in 120 degree traffic daily.

On a 5th gen? You are looking at the 4 gauge digital readout and you never seen your coolant temps go above 190F? You need to have that checked out, even if your thermostat is broken open, it still would get up to 230F before the electric fans turn on.

The only thing on that read-out that gets around 190F and stays there is the transmission temp.

Ramjack

Reaction score
3 hour trip each way last weekend (north GA to NC) and water temp stayed around 208 degF.

Ramjack

Reaction score
The OEM thermostat is 195° so you should be seeing temps above 190°, especially in Vegas.
There is some discussion on the interwebs that OEM part 52028898AI is actually 203deg and 52028898AE is 195deg. Rock Auto also shows 203deg as OE temperature. But do your own research and don't yell at me if you disagree.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
There is some discussion on the interwebs that OEM part 52028898AI is actually 203deg and 52028898AE is 195deg. Rock Auto also shows 203deg as OE temperature. But do your own research and don't yell at me if you disagree.

Well, Mopar shows that the AE thermostat has been superceded by AI. I'd go with the Mopar information before any aftermarket site.

Ramjack

Reaction score
Well, Mopar shows that the AE thermostat has been superceded by AI. I'd go with the Mopar information before any aftermarket site.
Yes, I know. The point is: There are people saying when they receive the AI (the correct OEM thermostat), it is a 203 deg thermostat. There is online "talk" that the Mopar website incorrectly states that is 195 deg.

schmidja

Reaction score
I am Engineer by trade and I can tell you most of my peers state the facts and let marketing and sales stretch the truth so its offensive to hear someone say its the Engineers who are deceiving the public to make more money etc etc. I think people are over thinking things here. I would change your oil when the vehicle indicator lights up says change it. If you want to change it more often have at it. There's not going to be any issues for 99% of us in any case. The Hemi 5.7 has been in service for over 10 years and the known issues have had plenty of time to be documented. The service life of the engine has been very respectable over that time period and its certainly not 60k miles.
Yeah, I'm an engineer by trade as well and in my business, like many, the engineers don't have the final say. Turns out that the bean counters call the shots - and it's usually all about cutting cost out of the product. Boeing is a great example ... great engineers who were shot down, until the cost savings resulted in two 737's going down. If engineers called the shots, our hemi engines would last 500,000 miles. Oh, but then service revenues would be down ... can't have that either!!

schmidja

Reaction score
I called a Chrysler/RAM dealer in Florida (where I spend a few months in the winter), gave them my VIN (last 8 characters), and they ASSURED me that my truck came with a 195 degree thermostat. I called a Chrysler/RAM dealer here in Milwaukee, gave them my VIN (last 8 characters), and they ASSURED me that my truck came with a 203 degree thermostat. They (Chrysler/RAM Service/Parts) would/could NEVER be wrong, so I must have two thermostats in my truck!! :D:D:D:D:D
Wonder where they hid that other one ....

Users who are viewing this thread