5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil leak from top of motor

gorilla57

Reaction score
I'm being told "at least a week" to get parts, and they aren't 100% sure where the leak is coming from yet. I have a feeling I'm going to be without my truck for a long while.

Any idea what "parts" they are ordering? My service advisor is good enough to tell me what is going on.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea what "parts" they are ordering? My service advisor is good enough to tell me what is going on.

Honestly the guy was a newb at the job and he wasn't able to tell me. Something about a gasket or seal. I'm not sure if he was referring to the timing cover gasket, crank seal, or something else.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok so they're replacing the timing cover, which is 5 days out and then a day or two labor. Have to disassemble a lot of the engine including injectors, fuel lines, etc. Sigh...

Rhombus

Reaction score
Left mine today, though they may not even look at it until Friday. I’m picking it up either way as I need my truck this weekend. I suspect I‘ll have to wait for parts as well.

WXMan - I know we’ve posted on multiple sites. I WILL let everyone know what I find out, when I find it.

FCA - I’m going to give them a chance to fix before I open a case as they’re the same guys who invested time in my exhaust leak. But, having oil on an engine with less than 10K miles is disconcerting.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Welp....got the truck back from the dealership. Here's one for all of you to scratch your heads about. They replaced the intercooler hose that goes into the intake. I know that diesels and gas turbo'ed engines have a bit more blow-by than a normally aspirated engine, but I've only got 2800 miles on this truck. So, there was enough blow-by that caused a puddle of oil to collect in the IC hose as it enters the intake. Mine had a bad O-ring and allowed the oil to leak out, right on top of the motor. The drive belt tossed the oil around, which is what caused my big mess. The dealership swapped out the hose and cleaned it up. No oil leak now.......
After watching WXman youtube video I went out to check mine as I hardly open the hood. But It looks Like I'm having the same issues you did, how long did it take to get it fixed?

gorilla57

Reaction score
After watching WXman youtube video I went out to check mine as I hardly open the hood. But It looks Like I'm having the same issues you did, how long did it take to get it fixed?

They had it 3 days since they had to order the upper IC hose. It literally took 0.3hrs to replace per the invoice.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No signs of a leak in this area yet, but I am going to keep a close eye on it. Around 9000 miles, mostly highway.

I did have some oil on the filler neck that I thought was a leak. But it’s looking like the oil filler cap wasn’t fully tightened at some point.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Left mine today, though they may not even look at it until Friday. I’m picking it up either way as I need my truck this weekend. I suspect I‘ll have to wait for parts as well.

WXMan - I know we’ve posted on multiple sites. I WILL let everyone know what I find out, when I find it.

FCA - I’m going to give them a chance to fix before I open a case as they’re the same guys who invested time in my exhaust leak. But, having oil on an engine with less than 10K miles is disconcerting.
Thank you for taking the time to keep me posted @Rhombus. Your sentiments are certainly understandable and I am willing to move forward with escalation at any point.
If you do address this with your dealer @KNGSNK11, I am more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf so that you and your dealer have further support for that process. Our team is always a private message away.

Mark
RamCares

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So just to update on my particular issue.. Next week will be week 3 without my truck. The dealership has an EcoDiesel mechanic but he's already working on another one. So they have my parts but can't start on it until next week. Then, 2-3 days of labor. It's ridiculous.

If this was out of warranty, I'd be looking at thousands of dollars to repair. This truck has already let me down. Should have kept my Gladiator. It was rock solid.

Next week I'm going to request some assistance from FCA since I'm making big monthly payments on something I can't even drive.

NC Rebel

Reaction score
I'd be pissed ! I hope my truck doesn't have this problem either and if it does....... truck will be gone. So far, it's been great !

ogor6037

Reaction score
Im taking mine tomorrow they finally got all of the parts supposedly so ill update soon This will be my third trip to a dealer 5 problems including recalls and will probably come back again soon as my ambient leds above glove box don't always work smh good thing this truck gets great mpgs cuz im pissed at this point

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im taking mine tomorrow they finally got all of the parts supposedly so ill update soon This will be my third trip to a dealer 5 problems including recalls and will probably come back again soon as my ambient leds above glove box don't always work smh good thing this truck gets great mpgs cuz im pissed at this point

Does yours have an oil leak also?

ogor6037

Reaction score
Yes but in the same general area as OP top of the motor where intercooler pipe is connected

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got my truck back. If the injector(s) was that hard to remove at 5,500 miles, how's that going to go at 100,000 miles? Anyway, so far she's dry. Hopefully it'll stay that way. But I'm not overly confident in this thing anymore.

Attachments

• 20200812_120828[1].jpg
    20200812_120828[1].jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 81

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Finally got my truck back. If the injector(s) was that hard to remove at 5,500 miles, how's that going to go at 100,000 miles? Anyway, so far she's dry. Hopefully it'll stay that way. But I'm not overly confident in this thing anymore.

Thanks for the follow up @WXman. Lo an behold I found a few drops of oil under my truck last night. Crawled underneath and the front of the block is wet with oil, similar to your oil leak. I'm at 9,500 miles, lets see what the dealer finds.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up @WXman. Lo an behold I found a few drops of oil under my truck last night. Crawled underneath and the front of the block is wet with oil, similar to your oil leak. I'm at 9,500 miles, lets see what the dealer finds.

Very interesting. Please update when you get a diagnosis. My service notes show that he saw a "machine mark" on the corner of the timing cover. If yours is the same and that's the source of the leak, it would sure seem to indicate a batch of faulty parts!

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Very interesting. Please update when you get a diagnosis. My service notes show that he saw a "machine mark" on the corner of the timing cover. If yours is the same and that's the source of the leak, it would sure seem to indicate a batch of faulty parts!

Will do. My appointment is on the 21st. Were you able to get a loaner vehicle? My truck is my only vehicle at the moment. The dealer said they don't supply loaners but will see what they can do when I drop off my truck.

ogor6037

Reaction score
Got mine "fixed" today...at least the 2 most important things anyway on mine it was intercooler hose basically same problem as OP bad o-ring

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Got mine "fixed" today...at least the 2 most important things anyway on mine it was intercooler hose basically same problem as OP bad o-ring
Did they replace just the oring or the entire tube?

Users who are viewing this thread