5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil leak from top of motor

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Are dealers giving you guys loaner vehicles during all this time your truck is in for service/repairs? Some of the warrantee repairs I've seen on this forum take an awful long time.

My dealer indicated that the loaner "may not be covered" and so rather than risk having to pay hundreds, I just got a family member to give me a ride and I used my second vehicle temporarily until mine was done. Personally, I think FCA standard warranty should cover a loaner as procedure.

california hauler

Reaction score
Are dealers giving you guys loaner vehicles during all this time your truck is in for service/repairs? Some of the warranty repairs I've seen on this forum take an awfully long time.
They didn't offer me a loaner at first, but then I pushed for it. They were going to give me a 2020 1500 loaner but supposedly the prior user smoked a carton of cigarettes in it. They gave me a voucher for Enterprise Rent a Car though and a ride over. I got a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, amazing how it feels like an older vehicle compared to my 1500.

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Are dealers giving you guys loaner vehicles during all this time your truck is in for service/repairs? Some of the warrantee repairs I've seen on this forum take an awful long time.

The first dealer didn't want to give me a loaner so I called a different dealership that would. They gave me a 2020 1500 Tradesman. Far from my Rebel. Call ahead am make sure they have something for you.

neddles

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I haven't ordered my Ram yet but I am definitely going to take this into consideration when picking a dealer.

california hauler

Reaction score
They didn't offer me a loaner at first, but then I pushed for it. They were going to give me a 2020 1500 loaner but supposedly the prior user smoked a carton of cigarettes in it. They gave me a voucher for Enterprise Rent a Car though and a ride over. I got a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, amazing how it feels like an older vehicle compared to my 1500.

I just spoke to the dealer, they will now have mine till the end of the week. The oil leak wasn't coming from the timing cover but another spot (I can't remember what he said, I will update when I do). They also called Enterprise to extend my rental through Friday.

They are also replacing my windshield washer nozzles as they were not spraying properly, for the AC they are replacing a blower motor, fixed the all-weather floor mats for the recall, and adjusted my hood height as it was high on one side and low on the other.

biodiesel

Reaction score
A good dealer makes all the difference in the world. I'm quick to defend dealers when people marginalize them into one category of "bad" people. Once you've had a good dealer, you have a different view than those who have never had a good dealer experience. My dealer will bend-over backwards for me.

california hauler

Reaction score
Here is the update - They found mine to be leaking from the mechanical vacuum pump seals. They replaced the gasket.

For the AC they replaced the "Motor-Blower with Wheel"

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The timing cover leak is popping up in the Jeep forums now too. This may end up being widespread among early 3rd Gen EcoDs.

california hauler

Reaction score
The timing cover leak is popping up in the Jeep forums now too. This may end up being widespread among early 3rd Gen EcoDs.

It is definitely common, the diesel tech at my dealer assumed that was the cause and had parts prepped. After deeper investigation they found the mechanical vacuum pump to be the issue and had to order different parts.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it's not designed to be removed, it should be designed to never fail...
Well it obviously is designed to never fail, but **** happens. They are built by humans. From the sound of it it's s machining issue

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Week 7 update. Still no word on the backordered part the dealership needs to complete the repair. My case has been elevated to high priority and according to my FCA customer care rep they are now discussing the possibility of putting a brand new motor in my truck. This is pending review from higherups at FCA. More to follow.....

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Week 9.... Still no solution. Apparently the dealership is waiting on an EGR tube with not estimated time. I decided to file a Lemon Law case with FCA due to not knowing when the part will arrive. I decided against putting a new motor in my truck. All the research I've done shows that the engine replacement will show up on the vehicle record if I ever decided to sell the truck, diminishing resale value. Any one have experience with a lemon vehicle? I have a lot of personal upgrades (stereo system, on board air, level kit, sway bar) that I did in the short 8 months I had my truck. I am concerned I wont get them back. Not to mention tint and ceramic coating that I wont get back...........

california hauler

Reaction score
Week 9.... Still no solution. Apparently the dealership is waiting on an EGR tube with not estimated time. I decided to file a Lemon Law case with FCA due to not knowing when the part will arrive. I decided against putting a new motor in my truck. All the research I've done shows that the engine replacement will show up on the vehicle record if I ever decided to sell the truck, diminishing resale value. Any one have experience with a lemon vehicle? I have a lot of personal upgrades (stereo system, on board air, level kit, sway bar) that I did in the short 8 months I had my truck. I am concerned I wont get them back. Not to mention tint and ceramic coating that I wont get back...........
Seems like I'm oversimplifying, but could you just give them this link? In stock... https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/o...AReqS6QczynWCizC0YcJnrxQYKEnnBEoaAvjMEALw_wcB

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm no expert, by any stretch. However, I'd think that if you could gather all your receipts that would be the first step in getting recompensed for the parts and labor you put into the vehicle to increase its value.

You may be able to unbolt what you added (don't forget labor for install and removal), but the tint and ceramic are obviously unable to be recovered.

Someone around here has claimed to have had success with Lemon Laws. He may be a source of information if he chimes in. (Or, and probably better, find a lawyer.)

Record everything, even making notes as you do it. Contemporaneous records are a great tool.

Good luck!

ammdrew

Reaction score
they may offer a buy back which they will buy your add ons back also. this happened to a friend of mine who had a motor bearing failure early. They often will also give you a great deal on a new truck to purchase if you are lookingt o replace with similar. I would push for a buy back on a motor replacement also.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
they may offer a buy back which they will buy your add ons back also. this happened to a friend of mine who had a motor bearing failure early. They often will also give you a great deal on a new truck to purchase if you are lookingt o replace with similar. I would push for a buy back on a motor replacement also.
Not trying to start a flamefest. But. ;)

If they offer a buyback, is that better or worse than getting a new vehicle? I think the Lemon Law gives the consumer far more "bang for the buck" than accepting a buyback.

Now, if they swap vehicles, including all tax, title, transfer fees with a new vehicle with the same specs, and include swapping all the aftermarket parts, adding in ceramic and tint and then toss on an extended warranty? Well, sure.

Interesting to see what they do...

california hauler

Reaction score
The saga continues. I took mine in for the second oil change at 10k miles just to be safe and have it checked over.

Now I have the timing cover leak as well and will need to bring it back to have it fixed.

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I've been meaning to post an update on my timing cover leak issue/saga. I am in a bit of a battle with FCA so I don't want to divulge too much right now. Short of the long is I just got my truck back this week, after 110 days at the dealership. It took 3 months to get a replacement EGR tube. No explanation as to why, but guessing COVID. I'll post an update and complete story when and if I get a resolution from FCA. Hopefully you don't experience what I went through. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread