5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil leak from top of motor

gorilla57

Reaction score
Finally got my truck back. If the injector(s) was that hard to remove at 5,500 miles, how's that going to go at 100,000 miles? Anyway, so far she's dry. Hopefully it'll stay that way. But I'm not overly confident in this thing anymore.

Here's a question......why the hell did they remove the injector anyway???

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's a question......why the hell did they remove the injector anyway???

My assumption from looking at the engine is that in order to remove the timing cover, you've got to remove the valve cover. And in order to remove the valve cover, you've got to remove the injectors and lines. They did mention the day I dropped it off that if it were the timing cover, it's a hell of a job to fix.

gorilla57

Reaction score
My assumption from looking at the engine is that in order to remove the timing cover, you've got to remove the valve cover. And in order to remove the valve cover, you've got to remove the injectors and lines. They did mention the day I dropped it off that if it were the timing cover, it's a hell of a job to fix.

Wow, great design having to remove X number of things to get to the timing cover.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
For me, they replaced the plastic upper intercooler hose section. I am watching it like a hawk, and no signs of any oil....so far....
Took mine in today to and the tech said he didn't see any leakage just seepage, so I guess I have to wait till the motor is covered in oil.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wow, great design having to remove X number of things to get to the timing cover.
It's not something that's designed to be removed. The engine has a timing chain which should never be serviced

biodiesel

Reaction score
I finally took delivery of my 2020 EcoDiesel yesterday. Hopefully I don't have the same problems that some of you are having, but I'll keep a close eye out for any leaks.

ogor6037

Reaction score
Did they replace just the oring or the entire tube?

Sorry late response... dealer replaced entire tube. Told me to watch for leaks in future but they didn't clean the motor smh didn't want to fight with them about it already wasted 5.5 hrs there... anyway now I have to clean it up somehow at least the bottom where i first noticed it

Last edited:

gorilla57

Reaction score
Sorry late response... dealer replaced entire tube. Told me to watch for leaks in future but they didn't clean the motor smh didn't want to fight with them about it already wasted 5.5 hrs there... anyway now I have to clean it up somehow at least the bottom where i first noticed it

Use some Simple Green and wash it off gently with the hose. Very simple. My dealer cleaned up what they could reach by hand, I did the rest with Simple Green.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
It’s direct injection. Even modern gasoline engines that use direct injection have injectors go through the valve cover next to the spark plugs. It’s not an uncommon thing and not unreasonable.

gorilla57

Reaction score
It’s direct injection. Even modern gasoline engines that use direct injection have injectors go through the valve cover next to the spark plugs. It’s not an uncommon thing and not unreasonable.

I'm understand that diesels are direct injection. I'm just saying it's kinda strange to have the timing cover "under" the valve cover. Guess I'm used to the old school motors where everything was separate and allowed easy access to things. Hell, I had to remove the entire intake manifold on my new Jeep to install a new set of coil packs on the driver's side of the motor. And to remove the intake manifold, you have to remove the EGR system. Not end user friendly setups now a days.

Zoompastu

Reaction score
I'm understand that diesels are direct injection. I'm just saying it's kinda strange to have the timing cover "under" the valve cover. Guess I'm used to the old school motors where everything was separate and allowed easy access to things. Hell, I had to remove the entire intake manifold on my new Jeep to install a new set of coil packs on the driver's side of the motor. And to remove the intake manifold, you have to remove the EGR system. Not end user friendly setups now a days.
I see... yes you are right that the old school V8’s from 60 years ago are different. With over head cams the timing chain runs from the crank all the way to the top of the heads where the cams live. The timing cover is essentially a front plate and the valve cover, the the top plate that covers the top chain area as well as the cams.

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Heard back from the service department. They can't seem to find the leak but narrowed it down to the front of the motor and timing cover. They are going to add dye to the oil to see where the leak is coming from. While they have my truck I asked them to look over the A/C system. He found the refrigerant to be low and they suspected a leak out of the hi and low service ports, which they replaced. Still no word on when I will get my truck back.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heard back from the service department. They can't seem to find the leak but narrowed it down to the front of the motor and timing cover. They are going to add dye to the oil to see where the leak is coming from. While they have my truck I asked them to look over the A/C system. He found the refrigerant to be low and they suspected a leak out of the hi and low service ports, which they replaced. Still no word on when I will get my truck back.

Sounds like exactly what I just went through.

california hauler

Reaction score
Sounds like exactly what I just went through.

I have the same thing happening, timing cover, I'm supposed to drop it off tomorrow night and then they have 2 days to fix it before I leave on a trip on Wednesday. I'm thinking it would be better to delay the service, take the trip while keeping an eye on my oil level, then take it in when I get back. And forcing them to provide a loaner. 5400 miles and I've added 2quarts of oil already.

bkawasakiyee

Reaction score
Well, this will be the start of week 4 since I dropped my truck off. Few back and forth calls with the service department and my service writer said my truck won't be ready till sometime in October. He said they are having issues sourcing parts. I spoke to a different dealer and sounds like this issue will end up being a recall as opposed to warranty work. Lots of cases coming in and FCA doesn't have a formalized recall for this. Dealerships don't have a repair guide or parts list. So I'm left with a monthly loan and insurance payment on a truck that's been sitting at the dealership for 2 months. Should have stuck to my original plans and purchased a Tundra.......

biodiesel

Reaction score
Sorry to hear the news @bkawasakiyee

It doesn't appear that this is a very widespread problem. Could the recall be for a small number of EcoDiesels???? I suppose more information will be coming out soon. I know it's hard to stay positive during this time, but let's hope the repair happens sooner than later and you'll be problem free moving forward.

I have two EcoDiesel Rams. One is a backup for the other!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to hear the news @bkawasakiyee

It doesn't appear that this is a very widespread problem. Could the recall be for a small number of EcoDiesels???? I suppose more information will be coming out soon. I know it's hard to stay positive during this time, but let's hope the repair happens sooner than later and you'll be problem free moving forward.

I have two EcoDiesel Rams. One is a backup for the other!

I look at these reports much in the same way the some folks are looking at COVID. For every positive you get, there are probably 10 more that haven't reported it. The fact that we've seen several people with the timing cover leak already makes me feel like this probably is a fairly widespread problem and we're just not seeing the majority of them reported on social media or forums. I mean, how many Gen 3 EcoDiesel owners are members of the forum? A TINY percentage I'd say.

Sounds to me like VM had a bad batch of timing covers. My technician noted a "machining mark" on the corner of mine when he took it off. Sounds like a manufacturing issue on the line. If so, it probably affects a lot of covers within a date range.

biodiesel

Reaction score
Sounds to me like VM had a bad batch of timing covers. My technician noted a "machining mark" on the corner of mine when he took it off. Sounds like a manufacturing issue on the line. If so, it probably affects a lot of covers within a date range.

I'll certainly keep a close watch on mine. So far, I'm not seeing any signs of leakage.

california hauler

Reaction score
Mine got dropped off yesterday for the timing cover leak, supposedly it will be ready today, we shall see. I also had to have them fix my windshield washer sprayers as they would shoot all of 4 inches, the recall related to the floor mat, check the AC as it doesn't get cold, and adjust the hood fit as it was high on one side and low on the other.

With all of that, I don't anticipate it actually being done today, especially with the other folk's issues here related to fixing the timing cover.

neddles

Reaction score
Are dealers giving you guys loaner vehicles during all this time your truck is in for service/repairs? Some of the warrantee repairs I've seen on this forum take an awful long time.

Users who are viewing this thread