5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Location! UGH!

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Sharing my best practices. 5.7L eTorque engine. Swapping oil filters on 3.6L is WAY easier since it has a cartridge filter on top of the engine.
1. Drain the oil.
2. Put a garbage bag on the filter
3. Use 74mm cup wrench to unscrew the filter. There is plenty of space there for that.
4. All oil will drain to the garbage bag. Give it few minutes before removing the bag.

Whoola, you removed an oil filter and there are zero oil drops on the steering rack, crossmember or garage floor.

1500V8

Reaction score
It's easy, just use the two zip lock bag method, I literally didn't spill a drop, and I did it while it was hot.

With the front on ramps and lying on my back with my head facing towards the rear of the truck, I broke the oil filter seal with my strap wrench from the backside, then unscrew 1/2 turn, slip on first zip lock bag, continue to unscrew until it begins to leak. Wait about a minute for it to stop, then remove the first bag (place in pan). Then slip on the 2nd bag, finish unscrewing, wait about 10 seconds for additional oil to drop out of the mount, then put the 2nd bag in the pan and you are done.

Zero mess, no oil spilled. Just make sure to use the larger zip lock bags.
Ziplock bag- what a novel idea! I never would have thought of it- I just clean up the mess. Thanks for the tip!!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ziplock bag- what a novel idea! I never would have thought of it- I just clean up the mess. Thanks for the tip!!

Remember, two zip lock bags :)

One for the initial oil that comes out of the filter, then slip it off. Slip on 2nd bag and complete the removal of the filter. Zero drips!

DennisY

Reaction score
Going to try that next time SDRebel. I also had a heckuva time getting the darn filter OUT of there at all! RAM really thought this through to make us go to them for oil changes.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
Going to try that next time SDRebel. I also had a heckuva time getting the darn filter OUT of there at all! RAM really thought this through to make us go to them for oil changes.
Local dealers change oil on 5.7 HEMIs in the dumb way - create mess when remove the filter, clean up the mess with a lot of rags. Oil change service guide for FCA dealers doesn't have any secrets about removing the filter without the mess ;)

Triple X

Reaction score
Doesn't anyone use brake cleaner to clean up the mess?
Takes me about 10 seconds to spray off the spilled oil.

nburd

Reaction score
I did my second change today. Used the 2 bag method. Dripped a couple of tablespoons. It worked ok and I was able to rag off any drips. I will say the KN filter with the nut on the bottom made removing the filter pretty easy. A 1” wrench and it was off in seconds. It does take some time with the bags. The whole change took me 40 mins in the driveway on ramps. Yes some brake clean can work but it’s not good for painted parts. I just wiped off the oil. Free rustproofing I guess.

Quint

Reaction score
Full sized trucks have never fit in my 1950s detached garage, so I never do the winter oil changes. I put on 20k miles a year so I always have to take it somewhere once it gets too cold.

I just ordered a 4" udder. It has been a couple decades since I milk a cow, but I should remember the technique!

OU_Elliott

Reaction score
Full sized trucks have never fit in my 1950s detached garage, so I never do the winter oil changes. I put on 20k miles a year so I always have to take it somewhere once it gets too cold.

I just ordered a 4" udder. It has been a couple decades since I milk a cow, but I should remember the technique!
Let me know how it works out for you! Milking a RAM is harder than milking a cow turns out...

Rupp

Reaction score
Does that Udder fit under the filter without any issues? What size udder do we need for the 5.7 Hemi?

Quint

Reaction score
It's the 4" udder for our trucks. They sent a beer coozie with it. I ordered the 2ft drain tube but probably should have gotten 3ft. I am at about 1,800 miles on my new truck so I haven't changed the oil yet. I'll probably get one more 500 mile snowmobile tow and then do the first oil change using the utter.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's the 4" udder for our trucks. They sent a beer coozie with it. I ordered the 2ft drain tube but probably should have gotten 3ft. I am at about 1,800 miles on my new truck so I haven't changed the oil yet. I'll probably get one more 500 mile snowmobile tow and then do the first oil change using the utter.
Sounds like you'll get around to trying it out before I will (mine arrived a month ago, but I'm not due for an oil change anytime soon). Please share your experience on how well it works (or doesn't)!

OU_Elliott

Reaction score
Does that Udder fit under the filter without any issues? What size udder do we need for the 5.7 Hemi?
The 4" works best. It's a tight fit above the EPS and the udder will be ****ed to the side. We made a crappy video walking through the process. Kevin mentions removing the wheel but that was really only because we were trying to film it so ignore that part. Here is the video.

Oil Udder Ram Video

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
Just did my 3rd or fourth change this weekend. I did the two bag method. It somewhat worked, at least minimized the mess, but it's still a pain. I was closer than ever to just paying someone else this time, but I had enough oil for two more changes so talked myself into doing it. The wife's durango is so much easier with the cartridge filter on the top of the engine. Hers takes like 20min tops and absolutely no mess.

OU_Elliott

Reaction score
If you need more tube just email me and I'll hook you up. [email protected]

Quint

Reaction score
Thanks Elliott. I will get that first oil change done and see how much splatter, if anything, I get from the current hose. It may be just fine. I appreciate you reaching out.

bluecrewnuke

Reaction score
Here is a link to Pacbrake oil filter relocation kit (HP10363) just order it yesterday.
I used a coupon for $20. NEW20
Also going to try larger filter w/relocation kit. AMSOIL #EA017 4.45" high instead of 3.4"(EA15K50).
Will up date later.
Is that Amsoil EAo17 filter a larger diameter as well?

RAMSTER@

Reaction score
Just installed the PacBrake oil filter relo kit. Took about 2 hours with the oil change. You'll need a shortly 7/8 with the PacBrake kit. All of the hose fittings and hoses are 7/8" and you need to monkey around with the long wrench to get everything tightened up. I had a 2019 5.7 DT and a dreaded the oil changes. The bag doesn't work IMHO. The Udder is also lame.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just installed the PacBrake oil filter relo kit. Took about 2 hours with the oil change. You'll need a shortly 7/8 with the PacBrake kit. All of the hose fittings and hoses are 7/8" and you need to monkey around with the long wrench to get everything tightened up. I had a 2019 5.7 DT and a dreaded the oil changes. The bag doesn't work IMHO. The Udder is also lame.

Great it worked out for you. But the two bag method (1-gallon zip locks) has worked well for me the 5 times I've changed a DT RAM, 2 times for me and 3 times for my buddies.

Honestly one of the cleanest oil changes I've done, but I can understand how it could be the messiest if you use a single bag and spill it. The idea is to use 1 bag first to break the filter and get the initial oil out. Then slip-on a 2nd bag and finish removing the oil filter.

I know you don't have to worry about it anymore, just putting it out there for those who want to do an oil change without much fuss, it's easy on the RAM with the right method.

DennisY

Reaction score
Great it worked out for you. But the two bag method (1-gallon zip locks) has worked well for me the 5 times I've changed a DT RAM, 2 times for me and 3 times for my buddies.

Honestly one of the cleanest oil changes I've done, but I can understand how it could be the messiest if you use a single bag and spill it. The idea is to use 1 bag first to break the filter and get the initial oil out. Then slip-on a 2nd bag and finish removing the oil filter.

I know you don't have to worry about it anymore, just putting it out there for those who want to do an oil change without much fuss, it's easy on the RAM with the right method.

Ah! I will have to try the two bag method. I did the one bagger my first time and it was a total mess. I have not needed another oil change since due to low mileage since the pandemic began but will try the two bagger next time.

Users who are viewing this thread