5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oil Filter Location! UGH!

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bought one like that and it didn't work, just not enough room to slip it on top, at least for my situation.

I used a simple small swivel wrench, this one is particular working on the backside. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003969PKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I warmed up my truck, so the oil was at operating temp about 15 minutes before I tried to remove the filter. It came off easy. If it's cold, it will come off hard.

Same type I use and about the only thing that fits.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
What type of filter wrench are you guys using? I have one like this (this isn't the exact one, but similar) that attaches to a ratchet. Usually I use an extension. Is there enough room to use this?

I use oil filter pliers. They work fine for me...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If one plans on keeping their Ram for awhile, it is definately worth the cost to install an oil filter relocation kit; so much easier, and NO mess!
This post is worthless without a link :ROFLMAO:

I had a filter relocation kit on my previous truck. It worked well. I tried installing Trans-dapt kit on the new truck and I couldn't get it to not leak at one of the filter adapter fittings. Got tired of messing with it so I just went with a stock filter. Will re-evaluate for the next oil change.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
This post is worthless without a link :ROFLMAO:

I had a filter relocation kit on my previous truck. It worked well. I tried installing Trans-dapt kit on the new truck and I couldn't get it to not leak at one of the filter adapter fittings. Got tired of messing with it so I just went with a stock filter. Will re-evaluate for the next oil change.
The kit I installed is mfg by PacPro. I'm not sure how to attach a link, but if you google it, it will take you to the site. This is a really nice quality kit that fits perfectly with no leaks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The kit I installed is mfg by PacPro. I'm not sure how to attach a link, but if you google it, it will take you to the site. This is a really nice quality kit that fits perfectly with no leaks.
Thanks, I'll probably have one before my next oil change. (y)

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll probably have one before my next oil change. (y)
Definately a great kit, well constructed with quality parts. The nice thing is that there are no holes to drill to mount the remote filter and no modifications to the truck, so if you want to remove it (or install it on another ram) there will be no indication that it was ever installed. I also use an oil extractor (vacuume pump), so between the remote filter and extracting the oil out of the dip stick tube its quick and easy. Let us know how you like it when you get one.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Cost? Does it come with instructions, and use same filter size?

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Cost? Does it come with instructions, and use same filter size?
It was $235.00 plus shipping from the West coast, and it comes with detailed instructions. I'm using a larger Mopar filter (dont remember the part number off hand), but I did have to add an extra 3/4 qt when I changed the oil.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It was $235.00 plus shipping from the West coast, and it comes with detailed instructions. I'm using a larger Mopar filter (dont remember the part number off hand), but I did have to add an extra 3/4 qt when I changed the oil.

I'm having trouble sourcing the right kit. When you say West coast, are you talking U.S. or Canada? The link that RSZ provided is for the manufacturer, and clicking the "Find a Dealer" link only brings up Canadian suppliers. Searching on the part number (HP10363) isn't a lot of help either.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I'm having trouble sourcing the right kit. When you say West coast, are you talking U.S. or Canada? The link that RSZ provided is for the manufacturer, and clicking the "Find a Dealer" link only brings up Canadian suppliers. Searching on the part number (HP10363) isn't a lot of help either.
Yes, the West Coast in U.S. You have to call them (number on the website) then they will send it from their U.S. facility.

OU_Elliott

Reaction score
Looks promising but there's at least two Ram 1500 owner complained on AMZN it didn't work. Any idea what their problems were? They claim it easily slips off the filter and vice versa the filter slips out after its removal- both scenarios making bigger messes than other methods.
Those reviews were the reason we got ahold of a RAM to try it ourselves. There are also a few reviews saying it worked great so we wanted to see what the disconnect was.

What we found is that there is a column of oil that doesn't come out until the filter is unscrewed all the way and clears the threads. So it appears like it's working great until it is all the way unscrewed and drops. Then 3-4 oz of oil drops out and splashes.

If you are using the 4" Oil Udder XL it works great, it catches everything. On the smaller 3" Oil Udder it splashes off the filter and the cup isn't big enough to catch the mess. That's why we talk about punching the filter with a screwdriver if you have the smaller one which allows that column of oil to drain out before you remove the filter eliminating the problem.

Regarding the magnet. It's a 2lb pull force Neodymium magnet and we didn't have that issue when we tried it but my suspicion is that because it's ****ed at such an angle to fit under the filter under the right circumstances it could cause it to disconnect. But we designed it to be able to hold itself while being completely full of oil with a 100% margin for error. Made a quick video clip that shows how the magnet gets slightly pryed away from the filter when it's ****ed to the side.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, the West Coast in U.S. You have to call them (number on the website) then they will send it from their U.S. facility.
Call them? On the phone?? Do people still do that??? What, are they stuck in 1995 or something? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks! I'll contact them the old school way then. Appreciate the info! (y)

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Call them? On the phone?? Do people still do that??? What, are they stuck in 1995 or something? :ROFLMAO:

Thanks! I'll contact them the old school way then. Appreciate the info! (y)
Glad I could help. Yes, the only way to contact them is by calling! Lol old fashioned for sure, but excellent customer service which today's high technology cannot duplicate! Dont forget pictures after your installation.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Glad I could help. Yes, the only way to contact them is by calling! Lol old fashioned for sure, but excellent customer service which today's high technology cannot duplicate! Dont forget pictures after your installation.
Oh absolutely, I'll be taking pics. But my next oil change won't be for another six months, and I want to wait until then to install it. Plus, the weather will be a lot nicer by then LOL.

W13NY

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3rd oil change last night - 3rd time I got oil on me even with the plastic bag trick because of that damn filter location :mad:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
3rd oil change last night - 3rd time I got oil on me even with the plastic bag trick because of that damn filter location :mad:

Are you using two bags? First one to catch the initial oil, slip it off then use a 2nd bag to finish unscrewing. You should not spill a drop of you use that method. Using 1 bag, that gets full, trying to get that off with the filter is a recipe for getting oil everywhere.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, granted I didn't read all four pages of grievances regarding oil filter location, I have had luck in the past with a bit of a different method. I've used tin foil/aluminum foil to create a path for oil to run down. it takes a little bit of planning but once you're done, you can fold the oil in on itself and hopefully avoid any mess. hopefully these filters are easier to get off than my old Harley ... I resorted to a screwdriver through the side of it for leverage.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
Oh absolutely, I'll be taking pics. But my next oil change won't be for another six months, and I want to wait until then to install it. Plus, the weather will be a lot nicer by then LOL.
Cool! Yes, definately better working conditions when the weather is warmer. I installed mine a few months ago, before the cold snap here in the NE; even working in a semi heated garage, the floor is still ice cold! Okay, keep us posted and stay safe!

Users who are viewing this thread