5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Officially regret buying a 2019 Ram.

Douglas31

Reaction score
The New 19 5.7 I,m getting Combination MPG of 18 to 19. Drive 60% highway rest in Town with 3900 miles
Dang! I’m getting barely over 13 and about 275 a tank with etorque. My 14 was about the same with 18 combined. I do have the 3.92 now instead of 3.21 but feel it should be better.

Douglas31

Reaction score
While I understand the OP's concerns, and I have some concerns about the quality of my new RAM, I do think it rises to the level of regretting my decision to purchase it. As a brand new member, I added this to another post about quality:

My truck has a build date of 07/18 and following are some of the minor issues I've experienced with it:

- Rough starting when cold. This only happens on the first start of the day, but the engine revs up, then sounds like it's going to die, then it revs up again...repeating this for about 15 seconds. After it settles down, it runs perfectly.
- The "tailgate open" warning appears about 50% of the time when I close the tailgate. If I slam it, I don't get the message. I've read on another forum that with repeated use, this issue will resolve itself.
- The passenger side outside mirror fails to fold and then open again when using this function. This has happened about 10 times and each time, I have to get out of the truck and either fold or open the mirror.
- I feel a significant vibration from what feels like the rear of the truck when driving between 50-60mph. It shakes the truck quite a bit and my wife also notices it when riding in the passenger seat. I plan to have the dealership rebalance the rear tires.

While I consider all of the above to be minor issue that I'm hopeful the dealership can fix, I'm somewhat concerned about the perceived lack of build quality of the truck. I absolutely love it and it's the most incredible truck I've ever owned, but for $66,000, FCA could do better.
If you find a cause to the vibration please post. I have a vibration but the dealer keeps saying they can’t replicate it. The roadways here are 55MPH and I feel it closer to 70MPH to and from work 15 miles away where speed limits are higher and the dealer won’t drive that far. They have balanced the tires and it did help but is still noticeably there.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dang! I’m getting barely over 13 and about 275 a tank with etorque. My 14 was about the same with 18 combined. I do have the 3.92 now instead of 3.21 but feel it should be better.
You should be way over the 13 mark if your bench marking the 2014 as well. my 2104 was getting the same as the new 19. give or take a mpg. I do like the etourqe by not idleing so much any more at stops and line...but other than I see or feel no difference in it.

Spe1996

Reaction score
If you find a cause to the vibration please post. I have a vibration but the dealer keeps saying they can’t replicate it. The roadways here are 55MPH and I feel it closer to 70MPH to and from work 15 miles away where speed limits are higher and the dealer won’t drive that far. They have balanced the tires and it did help but is still noticeably there.
You may want to look into getting your tires road forced balanced. It helps identify defects in the tire that aren't detected during traditional balancing. Here is a video to start.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had tire issues with 2011 Ram when I bought it they were good years shake me out of the truck by 20000 miles! Put Primacy Michelin on it and cured the issue. I did the same thing with the 2014 that had good years before they ever started sold them to the tire dealer.....This 19 has bridge stones which I never had used before, But I can see now I just need to go buy primacy's and be done with it! 4000 miles and I can feel the bs vibration starting that will only get worse as I go.

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a Toyota fan in general and this is my first RAM or FCA product in general. We drove small Toyota trucks for 300k miles until they literally rusted away. But they were true lightweight bare bones trucks for hunting and beating the heck out of. I really wanted the Tundra to compare for full size truck, but I couldn't spend the money when it was badly in need of a refresh. To be fair though, and absolutely no offense to current owners, that is how I also felt testing out a 2018 RAM last year.

The 2019 redesign brought me in. I hope I stay in. I'm happy thus far. Worst case scenario is I drive this RAM fewer years than I currently plan and Toyota finally catches up with the times and goes all out on a redesign.

Not a Toyota fan I like the big three kinda guy. Welcome to the Rams they are an excellent truck and hope you enjoy yours.

BigBRebel

Reaction score
Not a Toyota fan I like the big three kinda guy. Welcome to the Rams they are an excellent truck and hope you enjoy yours.
I'm with you Ramit. I'd ride a bicycle before I owned a Toyota anything

Last edited:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 5.7 Laramie 4x4. My dash is showing I’m getting an average of 11.0 mpg. Does this seem too low or is this right! I have 339 miles on it so far. My engine does not have E-torque so you know.

chance21

Reaction score
I'm with you Ramit. I'd ride a bicycle before I owned a Toyota anything
Disclaimer: I'm completely cool with you having this opinion and am not trying to bash it ... I'm just curious why? I know a lot of people with the same line of thinking and I feel like I'm missing something. I had a 2012 Tundra and it was a great truck. Built right here in Texas, by Texans. The biggest issue I have with the current Tundra is they're so far behind the Ram. That's why I'm in the best truck on the market now, a Ram, and not a Toyota.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Disclaimer: I'm completely cool with you having this opinion and am not trying to bash it ... I'm just curious why? I know a lot of people with the same line of thinking and I feel like I'm missing something. I had a 2012 Tundra and it was a great truck. Built right here in Texas, by Texans. The biggest issue I have with the current Tundra is they're so far behind the Ram. That's why I'm in the best truck on the market now, a Ram, and not a Toyota.
Sorry but I could never own a Tundra either. Looks like a Tonka truck to me

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 5.7 Laramie 4x4. My dash is showing I’m getting an average of 11.0 mpg. Does this seem too low or is this right! I have 339 miles on it so far. My engine does not have E-torque so you know.
seems right to me I get 12.9mpg with my 4x4 v8 laramie with no e-torque

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Depends on your driving habits, terrain, city/hwy, etc. I was getting around 12.5 city on my first tank and about 18.5 on the highway. I'm on my second tank now, but my numbers will be scewed by the dealer testing my trans/knob issue. I'm assuming lots of idling, short bursts, etc.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mix of city/highway seems to be right about 15 mpg or so... but also just over 500 miles.... that's still better mileage than my old 2005 4.7L Dakota at easily twice the size.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s going up now. I’m at 12.1 mpg. Let’s see if it goes up the more I drive. Does the 4x4 affect the mpg compared to a 4x2?

RBRK

Reaction score
It should go up, mine sucked at first like yours, now Im at 14.6-15.4 around town. very little highway if any. 3.92 rear end.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the 3.21 gears. How does that compare to 3.92?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
is that a serious ?
Yes it is. I came from a 2 door civic. This is my first truck ever. I don’t know much about it but I do need one so I bought it. I don’t know much about 4x4 but I was told on dirt or sand, it’s better to have. So I got it. As far as how everything is affected, I don’t know. So if you’re willing to share any info and knowledge, thanks. If not, thanks either way and move on from my post. Just a guy who started learning about trucks late. That’s all.

Users who are viewing this thread