5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official Built to Serve Thread

Do you own a Built to Serve edition w/ the 0249AC springs

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eric J.

Reaction score
Good news! Dealer test drove my truck and agreed. They ordered new front struts #68404037AC and will install under warranty. It came with struts # 68277314AC which are no longer available (I can guess why). Saved me $1200 from replacing them with Bilstein 6112's and 5160's (for now).

DaveO

Reaction score
I had the local dealer replace the springs per the W95 recall and mine bounces like crazy as well. The service manager rode with me and agrees that the ride is not normal and something needs to be done. After discussing the situation with him, he agreed that the issue would likely be resolved by replacing the struts but I would need to reach out to Ram Care for approval. This was over a month ago.

I am currently in a ping pong match between Ram Care and the service department. RamCare is saying that I need approval from the service manager. Service manager is saying that I need approval from Ram Care. Does anyone have any advice on what strategy is going to be successful in getting Ram to replace the struts?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had the local dealer replace the springs per the W95 recall and mine bounces like crazy as well. The service manager rode with me and agrees that the ride is not normal and something needs to be done. After discussing the situation with him, he agreed that the issue would likely be resolved by replacing the struts but I would need to reach out to Ram Care for approval. This was over a month ago.

I am currently in a ping pong match between Ram Care and the service department. RamCare is saying that I need approval from the service manager. Service manager is saying that I need approval from Ram Care. Does anyone have any advice on what strategy is going to be successful in getting Ram to replace the struts?
Well, obviously the service manager is t agreeing with you anymore about the struts needing replaced if RamCares is saying they need approval from service manager. They reach out to the dealers for input on customer vehicles. If the service manager didn't tell RamCares that he feels the struts need replaced, then that's why they are waiting on him to approve it

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Is the truck under warranty?

Swhittley1016

Reaction score

I’ve been fighting this issue for a year. I have my recall performed March 2021, and it rode like hell afterwards. I went back and forth with the dealerships and Ram Care for the past year. I drive my truck for work (35K miles a year) and they wanted me to leave my truck with them. Well, after a year of it driving like hell, my shock on my driver side finally blew out on the freeway headed to the airport two weeks ago. I dropped it off at the dealership that did the recall and they replaced both front shocks for free without ram care being involved and they were installed and truck ready to go within 2 days. (69k miles on truck at this time) Ram care was aware I took my truck in because I called them, and they checked in with me to see how it was when I picked up my truck. The dealership I went to which I’ve only had bad experiences with, left my lower tie rod nut loose and it nearly fell off heading home. But, the ride was stiff and not bouncing all over the place. This is the part number for the shocks they put in, see attached photo. Also, photo of the tie rod nut how I found it.
I needed up buying a 2021 Jetta a few days ago for work, and I plan on parking the truck and letting the age catch up to the miles.

Hope this helps you or anyone else in this thread. In the end, Ram Care sucks and most dealership service departments suck. The shocks were $168.99 each on paper from the dealership so if you don’t want to fight it and just buy new ones, $337.98+tax.

Attachments

• 66D9A42A-F2BB-45B4-8E51-692C81686BF5.jpeg
    66D9A42A-F2BB-45B4-8E51-692C81686BF5.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 37
  • 32B3022A-F306-46F9-8054-97E3B6A0148F.jpeg
    32B3022A-F306-46F9-8054-97E3B6A0148F.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 36

Swhittley1016

Reaction score
I wish I had seen your posts sooner. I am having the exact same issue. Hate the ride now. This is my story...

@Swhittley1016 You sound like you are having the same problem I am having. Please pm me with your story, I am going to call the dealer and try to get the ball rolling now that winter is coming. If they won't help I am going to reach out to @RamCares and see if they can do something. I'm sorry you are dealing with this also. I thought from talking to other BTS owners that it was just me.
I just now saw this post, but find my newest comment on this thread. I just shared my update. My shocks actually blew out on the freeway and the dealer that did the recall replaced the shocks within 2 days of ordering them. Took truck in on Monday, shocks replaced by Wednesday. Picked truck up Saturday and tie rod nearly fell off. It just got towed back to dealer on Monday. They found my sway bar end links were both loose and bad after they left them loose a year ago as well. They are replacing everything for free in lieu of a potential lawsuit.

pics included are the tie rod nut nearly falling off, and the pictures I took when My shock went out. Boot torn from over traveling the shock so many times, and grease all over.

I’ll update when I go pick my truck up this next time. I’m tempted to stay until they put the truck on a lift and prove every bolt is tight and nothing is stripped, torn, broken or bout to fall off.

Attachments

• 9763640E-553F-425B-BA71-EA06C4089F66.jpeg
    9763640E-553F-425B-BA71-EA06C4089F66.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 1A905F8B-B96C-46DE-881A-45E7E0D1BC46.jpeg
    1A905F8B-B96C-46DE-881A-45E7E0D1BC46.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 35
  • BCDAE6B4-EC01-42DF-984C-8D9545CE4F96.jpeg
    BCDAE6B4-EC01-42DF-984C-8D9545CE4F96.jpeg
    209.3 KB · Views: 35

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Indeed. Currently 29,00 miles on it. The issue is related to a recall so warranty should not be involved in the conversation about the situation.
What? It's all done under warranty. This isn't even a topic of discussion. Let's say your front shocks/struts started leaking after the recall, is that a warranty issue? 100% covered by warranty, go to a different dealer.

Swhittley1016

Reaction score
I think he me
What? It's all done under warranty. This isn't even a topic of discussion. Let's say your front shocks/struts started leaking after the recall, is that a warranty issue? 100% covered by warranty, go to a different dealer.
ant normal 3 year 36k warranty. Although regardless, it’s still under the warranty from the parts and labor at the dealership. It’s under both technically. Because the recall was performed under warranty, that is still warrantied in itself. You could go through several sets of shocks in 3 years and it would still be covered. My truck has 69k miles and although I’m nearly double my warranty mileage, they took care of my shocks a week ago for me under warranty. They also did a good will warranty on my sway bar and sway bar end links. (They damaged them at the dealer)

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think he me

ant normal 3 year 36k warranty. Although regardless, it’s still under the warranty from the parts and labor at the dealership. It’s under both technically. Because the recall was performed under warranty, that is still warrantied in itself. You could go through several sets of shocks in 3 years and it would still be covered. My truck has 69k miles and although I’m nearly double my warranty mileage, they took care of my shocks a week ago for me under warranty. They also did a good will warranty on my sway bar and sway bar end links. (They damaged them at the dealer)
Nice claiming warranty on damaged parts, not at all a shady business practice.

soSincerious

Reaction score
Nice claiming warranty on damaged parts, not at all a shady business practice.

if parts get damaged as a result of replacing a part that is covered under warranty, those parts can usually be claimed under warranty. very common with parts that often break during removal (suspension, exhaust, etc)

it's not shady, it's part of the job.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if parts get damaged as a result of replacing a part that is covered under warranty, those parts can usually be claimed under warranty. very common with parts that often break during removal (suspension, exhaust, etc)

it's not shady, it's part of the job.
Sway bar replaced on a front strut job? Please explain to me how that is collateral damage to strut replacement.

Swhittley1016

Reaction score
Sway bar replaced on a front strut job? Please explain to me how that is collateral damage to strut replacement.
They said there was slop in the end links. They ordered new end links and called me saying the tech couldn’t install them, they wouldn’t fit on the truck. They went back and looked and said they had at some point replaced my sway bar(news to me) and that there was an updated part number for my sway bar. As in there was a different sway bar for the truck than what they had previously installed on the truck. The new end links weren’t compatible for some reason with the old sway bar. Once again, I do not have any info on them replacing my sway bar.

My truck has been driven on highway only minus dirt roads in Michigan. A sway bar end link shouldn’t give out in 2 years/69k miles.

They did leave my end links loose last year when they disconnected them to replace the springs for the recall and never tightened them. I heard a loud knocking when making turns for about a week, took it back after seeing the bolts loose and they tightened them. Could have damaged the end links/sway bar at that time, that’s my assumption.

Swhittley1016

Reaction score
This means you are two tracking all the time w/ Michigan roads.
Michigan roads are garbage, however, you learn to avoid the pot holes. But still, my guess is that when they left them loose last year, it might have bent something and now they are having to replace it. But they aren’t replacing under the vehicle warranty, they are doing it under the dealer 1 year parts and labor warranty since they are the ones who potentially caused damage in the first place. If a $50,000 truck isn’t able to drive on Michigan roads without bending or breaking something, I think we have bigger problems.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Michigan roads are garbage, however, you learn to avoid the pot holes. But still, my guess is that when they left them loose last year, it might have bent something and now they are having to replace it. But they aren’t replacing under the vehicle warranty, they are doing it under the dealer 1 year parts and labor warranty since they are the ones who potentially caused damage in the first place. If a $50,000 truck isn’t able to drive on Michigan roads without bending or breaking something, I think we have bigger problems.
born and raised in Michigan, hot mess this time of year. Good to hear the fixed it

G8RBTS

Reaction score
I've owned my truck since new and it is one assembled with the incorrect springs. After back and forth with three dealers in two states, and seeing some of the trouble (shocks/struts) people had after they got the new springs...I decided to wait until my original tires were decently worn before doing the spring swap... I planned to add the mopar 2" kit and get bigger tires. After they did the inspection the dealer finally ordered the replacement springs. I requested the mopar lift be added and but he needed additional time to calculate the labor for adding the 2" at the same time. A week later he quoted $1,600 just for the labor to install the kit at the same time they did the springs, stating that the UCAs had to be replaced and that takes a lot of time.

I went with a Rough Country 3.5" and 35" KO2s from a reputable local shop. After install my truck sits 1" lower in the rear, like others have mentioned in this thread. I went back to the dealer and asked if they could either swap rear springs or just sell me the rear springs. They said NO to both...even said they couldn't look up the correct part numbers for the rear springs. Thanks to the users here that did all the research early on and listed the shock part number chart...I ordered the rear shocks online and will have the local shop that did the lift swap them out.

RAMCARES - I love the truck but your service in the field really needs help...I paid out of pocket to correct a factory mistake. (n)(n)

Attachments

• 09343843-52D1-41D2-9493-7AECEB3FEC0D_1_102_o.jpeg
    09343843-52D1-41D2-9493-7AECEB3FEC0D_1_102_o.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 42
  • B04D1655-592E-4B4A-8668-A1D3099080FC.png
    B04D1655-592E-4B4A-8668-A1D3099080FC.png
    560.4 KB · Views: 42

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've owned my truck since new and it is one assembled with the incorrect springs. After back and forth with three dealers in two states, and seeing some of the trouble (shocks/struts) people had after they got the new springs...I decided to wait until my original tires were decently worn before doing the spring swap... I planned to add the mopar 2" kit and get bigger tires. After they did the inspection the dealer finally ordered the replacement springs. I requested the mopar lift be added and but he needed additional time to calculate the labor for adding the 2" at the same time. A week later he quoted $1,600 just for the labor to install the kit at the same time they did the springs, stating that the UCAs had to be replaced and that takes a lot of time.

I went with a Rough Country 3.5" and 35" KO2s from a reputable local shop. After install my truck sits 1" lower in the rear, like others have mentioned in this thread. I went back to the dealer and asked if they could either swap rear springs or just sell me the rear springs. They said NO to both...even said they couldn't look up the correct part numbers for the rear springs. Thanks to the users here that did all the research early on and listed the shock part number chart...I ordered the rear shocks online and will have the local shop that did the lift swap them out.

RAMCARES - I love the truck but your service in the field really needs help...I paid out of pocket to correct a factory mistake. (n)(n)
I replaced my UCAs in under and hour in my driveway with a floor jack and jack stands. Once they get them apart to swap springs, it's two bolts per control arm. Might add 10 minutes per side. Sounds like a ****ty dealer.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

We all make choices

Users who are viewing this thread