5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road Air Suspension Heights?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused on what extra lift adding the off-road package to a Limited with the air suspension actually gives you. If you get a 4x2 with AS, you automatically get the Off-Road 1 and Off-Road 2 lift options and it appears that those translate to the same amount of lift if you get a 4x4. But when you add the off road package I see several different descriptions (and zero actual specs on measured height) of what you wind up with:

"ALL-NEW 4X4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE
The available all-new 4x4 Off-Road Package gives you the protection and power to take on new territory. With features such as an electronic locking rear differential, one-inch suspension lift..."

Brochure (p 11):
"4x4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE
Available on most trim levels. When your urge to explore is uncompromising, nothing should hold you back. The protection and power from this tough, available package lets you master the unexplored. Included: standard 1-inch lift, available 2-inch lift with Active-LevelTM Four-Corner Air Suspension..."

Brochure (p 38):
No mention whatsoever of any lift in the Functional Packages - 4x4 Off-Road Group where all of the particulars are listed.

So my question is this - with air suspension, are the ride heights identical between a truck with the off-road package and one without? Or are all heights 1" higher with the off-road package?

Thanks!

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never ever heard off two different off road lift options. The off road package gives you a standard extra 1in lift.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I keep thinking I'm figuring this out and then something else throws a wrench into it. On the website where you can compare models side-by-side (looking at 4x4 Crew w/ 5'7" beds), the Rebel (std with Off-Road), the Longhorn without air suspension or Off-Road, and the Limited with air suspension and no Off-Road are all listed as 77.6" overall height. That has to be an error, right?

Seems like the Rebel should be one inch taller than anything else since the Off-Road package is standard. None of this answers my original question of what is the normal height of an air suspension Ram with the Off-Road package compared to one without? Think I may have to take the tape measure to the dealer.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The 2019 Ram 1500 4×4 Off-Road Package now stands alone and includes a one-inch suspension lift, with or without the available air suspension.

My guess (and it could be wrong) is that the off road package sits one inch higher than a regular DT.

My guess (and I could be wrong) air suspension doesn't offer a "lift" it offers a park mode, a ride mode, and aerodynamic mode. And it levels the truck with load.

My guess (and I could be wrong) if the old air suspension did add a "lift" it doesn't anymore and is why it isn't standard on the Rebel anymore.

1f60e.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

<h4>GO PLACES YOU NEVER THOUGHT POSSIBLE</h4>

Where you're going, you don't need roads. Between the updated Ram 1500 Rebel<sup>®</sup> and the 4x4 Off-Road Package available on all 4x4 models (standard on Rebel), you’re more than ready for any off-road adventures.

So what I was thinking is right. The off road package and Rebel sit one inch higher than non optioned DT.

The off road package is optional on all trims but standard on Rebel.

So the height difference in Rebel and Off Road is just the difference from 33 inch tires and 275/xx tires depending if you get 18" or 20" wheels.

Best I can do to help describe it.
1f60e.png

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The air suspension will give you that 1 inch extra lift.
So if you get the off-road package with the air suspension you are only going to get that extra 1 inch. Total of 2 inches(1 for off road package and 1 for air suspension).

Ksilva211

Reaction score
So if you have two limiteds side by side one with off road package and one with out. Both in off road two setting. Will they be the same height? Or will the off road package be an inch higher?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Guess I need to research the air suspension more. I am not seeing these settings.

The off road package and Rebel have a one inch suspension lift. So you guys are saying the air suspension would give you an inch lift. So then a non air suspension off road and an air suspension standard would be the same height. But an off road with air suspension would be one inch higher than a non air suspension off road.

I haven't found that anywhere...but that seems odd to me. But that is me overthinking this as the off road package offers so much more than a lift. I guess that is why I am getting the mental block.
263a.png
1f609.png

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here are five modes you can take advantage of when you need to move weight down the road:
  1. TAKING TO THE TRAILS
Off-Road 2 mode provides impressive ground clearance for the path and trail and generous angles for approach, departure and breakover. The difference from normal is +2.0 inches.
  1. OFF THE BEATEN PATH
Enjoy outstanding ride balance with Off-Road 1 mode, with an extra degree of clearance when off-road scenarios are less severe than those that warrant Off-Road 2 mode. The difference from normal is +1.2 inches front and +0.9 inches rear.
  1. GETTING AROUND TOWN
Normal Ride Height is the most comfortable balance of ride and handling for everyday driving.
  1. HIGHWAY DRIVING
At highway speeds, Aero mode automatically lowers the vehicle, reducing aerodynamic drag and “body roll,” and measurably improving fuel efficiency. The difference from normal is -0.6 inches.
  1. DAILY INS AND OUTS
For convenience and comfort, Entry/Exit mode automatically lowers the vehicle, making it easier to get in and out of your truck, load your bed or hook up your trailer. This mode is manually controlled by the internal button bank or remotely with the key fob. The difference from normal is -2.1 inches front and -1.7 inches rear.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so does that mean the off road package with air suspension has a 3 inch lift...hmmm.

This was for DS, but that is pretty substantial lift. Interested to know if this also gives you a 5 inch lift if you get the Mopar 2 inch lift they offer...hmmm or 4 inch if you can't combine on the factory one inch lift for off road package

Rebel, it is getting further and further up the must have list (got to hold out for more 5th gen HD info
1f643.png
1f606.png
1f62d.png
1f620.png
1f61b.png
1f60e.png
)

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
(see attachment)
This just adds to the confusion for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-05-07-07-42-02.png
    Screenshot_2018-05-07-07-42-02.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 268

Rustydodge

Reaction score
My understanding

Off Road package with air suspension gets the same standard selectable height positions as all the other air equipped trucks.. Your are basically then paying for all the other stuff in the package

Off road package without air is 1" lift over standard (so equivalent to air offroad 1 height)

So the difference between an offroad package with air and without air is that without air you are always at +1" over standard DT. With air you can still go up 1 more inch to offroad 2 setting.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
so, basically a non off road package truck with air is actually given more lift than the off road package non air, and is the same as off road with air. Guess that is what confused me from the begining.

Makes sense, thanks @Rustydodge

So with air suspension the original one inch suspension lift goes away? (Off road package)

And then the Rebel without is only one inch higher and with air it is the same?

This is were my dilemma is. So basically the only height difference is the 33 inch or 275/xx tires with air suspension and one inch plus the tires on non air suspension?

1f62b.png

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Again, that's my best guess based on how the marketing and options lists have stated everything. The spec sheets don't seem to provide enough details yet.

I think IF an off road package with air was 1" above on every setting they wouldn't then be able to have the offroad 2 selection as that would be too much. So i think the "standard 1" lift" only applies to standard coil springs, and not air suspension.

Allpar seems to imply that all off road packages (with or without air) get 1" left so IDK.

Rebels get the 33" tires instead of 32, so 1/2" height gain right there. Plus the better front bumper. Allpar mentions remote resevoir bilsteins, so Rebel might get different rear shock set up than other Off Road package trucks too.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks RustyDodge.
So it would be fair to say that when adding the off-road package to an air suspension model you do not get any extra lift from the OR package, you still have the original lift offered by the air suspension?
I'd seen all the modes/heights of the air suspension but couldn't find what the normal mode height was with air and with/without the off-road package. Does seem to make sense that the off-road package adds no lift and that the HD shocks don't change the height either.

Kapnbill

Reaction score
If you have the air suspension and offroad package do you still have the ability to add aftermarket lift later if you want, or does the combination in any way prevent adding lift later?

D

Deleted member103

Ksilva211 said:
So if you have two limiteds side by side one with off road package and one with out. Both in off road two setting. Will they be the same height? Or will the off road package be an inch higher?
oh no not again . . . another "Trick-Question?" It's getting just way to complicated . . .my brain is about to EXPL#&% . . .
1f628.png

1f612.png

1f617.png
!

D

Deleted member103

Kapnbill said:
If you have the air suspension and offroad package do you still have the ability to add aftermarket lift later if you want, or does the combination in any way prevent adding lift later?
So . . . a priest walks into neighborhood tavern, and he sees a picture on the wall . . . and suddenly he
263a.png
, and thinks
1f914.png
. . . so he walks up to the bartender and says, " . . . . . . . .

D

Deleted member103

alacombe said:
Just buy the truck and find out
AL and ME totally agreeing ? Sends shockwaves up & down my spine ! Hey what can I say . . . it's "freaky Friday" again ! Someones gotta keep things "lite n' lively" ! Whose ordered the Pizza's & whose ordered the beers ? Jared is this one at your place ?

Users who are viewing this thread