5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road Air Suspension Heights?

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might want to try placing the vehicle in 4Lo and trying the highest lift setting. The software designers place constraints on the modes. On my Grand Cherokee, it's always 4wd but will only raise to OR2 at speeds below 25mph. OR1 is disabled above 40. The Ram AS may have some similar constraints and maybe require one of the 4wd modes is engadged. The Jeep has a similar EVIC message when a ride hieght is selected but not allowed. I doubt they'd provide
a switch or button indicating a mode that doesn't exist and then show a message to that affect. Just a guess though.

fact mechanic

Reaction score
So if you have two limiteds side by side one with off road package and one with out. Both in off road two setting. Will they be the same height? Or will the off road package be an inch higher?

Read through this thread and maybe I’m missing it, but what’s the answer to this? Aside from the skid plates, elocker, and hill descent, does the off road package change anything with the height of the air ride at any setting (aero, normal, OR1, OR2)? I’m guessing the ‘heavy duty shock absorbers” also doesn’t mean different air bags, right?

Marusho

Reaction score
I assumed that the cheapest solution was used to achieve the "1 inch lift". That would be zero hardware and a few lines of code. I believe the air suspension is programmed to treat Off Road 1 as Normal. Why do I believe that? Because the entry/exit level is the same with and without the Off-Road Package; and the point of maximum lift is the same also. If I am right this "lift" could have been achieved with a setting on the uConnect. The "downside" of driving the off-road-equipped truck at the 1" lower standard ride height MIGHT be a rougher ride (if the shocks are not correct for this ride height); but there would be improved mileage. And it wouldn't look as badass.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I assumed that the cheapest solution was used to achieve the "1 inch lift". That would be zero hardware and a few lines of code. I believe the air suspension is programmed to treat Off Road 1 as Normal. Why do I believe that? Because the entry/exit level is the same with and without the Off-Road Package; and the point of maximum lift is the same also. If I am right this "lift" could have been achieved with a setting on the uConnect. The "downside" of driving the off-road-equipped truck at the 1" lower standard ride height MIGHT be a rougher ride (if the shocks are not correct for this ride height); but there would be improved mileage. And it wouldn't look as badass.
I believe you are correct sir. I have read that the WiTech software used to service these vehicles can be used to calibrate (program) the 4 or 5 heights available. I suspect you can set them wherever you want within limits. The issue is alignment. If you set normal ride and aero an inch lower, you'd most likely need to re-align the front end or you'd get uneven tire wear and possibly poor economy. There are mods that have been made to the height sensor links to adjust ride height on previous year models as well. With that mod, you are raising or lowering all height setpoints together.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently ordered a 2019 1500 Laramie Longhorn with air suspension and off road package. Waiting for it to be built and delivered.

I'm trying to find out, as I've heard different scenarios, if the off road package will make the ride stiff, firm or much different than the air suspension without the off road package.

The dealer did not have an off road package for me to test drive. I loved the air suspension ride quality. I am hoping I didn't mess up the ride quality by adding the off road package.

Hopefully this would be the thread to ask this question.

I would appreciate all input from people who own this combination.

Thanks!

Art

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently ordered a 2019 1500 Laramie Longhorn with air suspension and off road package. Waiting for it to be built and delivered.

I'm trying to find out, as I've heard different scenarios, if the off road package will make the ride stiff, firm or much different than the air suspension without the off road package.

The dealer did not have an off road package for me to test drive. I loved the air suspension ride quality. I am hoping I didn't mess up the ride quality by adding the off road package.

Thanks!
I have air ride with the off road package on my 2019 longhorn it rides great. a lot better then my 2014 longhorn did without it

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Thank you for a reply.

Some individuals have claimed that the ride was European firm, which is what I did not want.

I was really hoping that I did not ruin the nice soft quiet ride by adding the off road package.

How is the tire noise inside the cabin with the all terrain tires?

Thanks again!

Art

Reaction score
Thank you for a reply.

Some individuals have claimed that the ride was European firm, which is what I did not want.

I was really hoping that I did not ruin the nice soft quiet ride by adding the off road package.

Thanks again!
You can hardly hear them.they might get noisy with wear but to early to tell yet. This truck is quiet feels like your in sound proof room when the windows are up. Ram really did their job.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you for a reply.

Thanks again!
The A/T tires make no noticeable difference in sound. The truck is far quieter inside than our Audi. The ride quality may be slightly firmer than non-OR, but I actually like the “solid”, heavy duty feel.

jasonsrmail

Reaction score
Ordered a Laramie with air and off road group end of October. Wish I would have known this... I don't understand why they would do that with the air suspension... Seems like it would decrease efficiency and maybe even ride quality for no reason, no benefits...

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do I have this right?

Air suspension provides 5 different heights... except if you get the ORG. With ORG, you only get 4 heights, and they correspond according to the arrows in the picture.

2019-01-01 20_17_03-Ram Order Notes.docx - Microsoft Word non-commercial use.png

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do I have this right?

Air suspension provides 5 different heights... except if you get the ORG. With ORG, you only get 4 heights, and they correspond according to the arrows in the picture.

View attachment 12299
That's the best illustration I've seen to explain ride heights. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Last edited:

GKBennett

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks!

I am about to order a 2019 Laramie Longhorn with air suspension and off road group as well. My build very closely matches yours. The dealers I have spoken to seem to be having a problem with this as they cannot get the OR package and air suspension, or so they say. I was wondering how your Ram is handling with both options. Is it also like the image posted earlier with 5 positions AS and only 4 with AS and ORG. Not a big deal just curious. I really want both options but keep the smooth ride on highway. You ordered and received your Ram in Pennsylvania? I am in Florida Panhandle and am having some issues with the dealers. Is your ride on the highway smooth and quiet? The ANR is really cool feature in the test drive I was in. Thanks for any info.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am about to order a 2019 Laramie Longhorn with air suspension and off road group as well. My build very closely matches yours. The dealers I have spoken to seem to be having a problem with this as they cannot get the OR package and air suspension, or so they say. I was wondering how your Ram is handling with both options. Is it also like the image posted earlier with 5 positions AS and only 4 with AS and ORG. Not a big deal just curious. I really want both options but keep the smooth ride on highway. You ordered and received your Ram in Pennsylvania? I am in Florida Panhandle and am having some issues with the dealers. Is your ride on the highway smooth and quiet? The ANR is really cool feature in the test drive I was in. Thanks for any info.
ORG and Protection Package are both on hold right now. Probably a supplier shortage. I'd order the Air Suspension and you can bolt on the Protection Package later. You won't get the 1" lift but you will get all the same ride heights for off toad use. The ORG does include a slightly stiffer suspension. Don't forget to order the Anti-slip differential. Not sure you can get the eLocker without the ORG. If so, then choose one or the other. For a daily driver the Anti-Slip might be best.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You didn’t ask me (sorry), but I have both options on my Longhorn. As I wrote above, it’s 4 levels...just like the Rebel. And (in my opinion) its a great balance of capability and smoothness.

Users who are viewing this thread