5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Off Road Air Suspension Heights?

J

jimh4662@

KAPNBILL..... No they won't be the same I think. It seems I read the off road provided 2 inch lift. Adding air suspension and raiseing to level two would provide a two inch higher body left. Your axel heights would stay the same. Tires wheels would add additional height. or don't get air suspension and get lift kit. Warner step ladder or a chain ladder. Get off this blog and start reading some research on 2019 specs. Start with Ram trucks.Com ,some of the reveals and test drives websites. Seems that the build options gives you info on each different suspension choice. Then come back here and tell us for sure they are different.

Kapnbill

Reaction score
Sorry for asking. Thought it was an innocent question. My apologies.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The air suspension with the off road package is equivalent to the Rebel air suspension and provides more lift in off road mode than the standard air suspension.
jimh4662@ said:
Get off this blog and start reading some research on 2019 specs. Start with Ram trucks.Com ,some of the reveals and test drives websites. Seems that the build options gives you info on each different suspension choice. Then come back here and tell us for sure they are different.
This is the second time I've seen you tell someone to "get off this blog" and do real research in a sense. This WEBSITE is the most comprehensive one on 2019+ Rams anywhere, if the info isn't in the forums it's on the front page. If you think there is somewhere with more information on these trucks, more power to you. We all use and are members of many different sites, but giving someone attitude for using this forum as its intended isn't really acceptable.

Craftman

Reaction score
Unfortunately as the site grows and gets more members "get off this blog" type of post will happen more often. With good mods, which this site has, and dedicated admin, which this site has, They will be kept to a minimum. Maybe a 2019 Ram 1500 complete Information thread can be added with all the specs?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Craftman said:
Unfortunately as the site grows and gets more members "get off this blog" type of post will happen more often. With good mods, which this site has, and dedicated admin, which this site has, They will be kept to a minimum. Maybe a 2019 Ram 1500 complete Information thread can be added with all the specs?
Definitely true, and if I'm reading into the post the wrong way I apologize.

I think that's a good idea and I'll work on getting one up this weekend.

J

jimh4662@

No I didn't mean it as offensive or mean spirited. I meant there is tons of information out there, TRUE FACTS. The only way your going to learn the specifics and gain knowledge on these specs. Is a comparison of reading material, other Blogs, Reveals, After market source. So Again Get off this blog (but come back), do your research. I guarantee it will be more valuable than readers here telling you briefly what you may need to know. Also I only remember this subject matter, and me saying specifically get of this blog. Sorry if you were offended. Not my intent.

Email and blogs are not the best source for reading other peoples interpretations of words, verbiage, or grammar as worded dialog. It subjective on what was meant, stated or in the true meaning of a remark or statement at the time.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
jimh4662@ said:
No I didn't mean it as offensive or mean spirited. I meant there is tons of information out there, TRUE FACTS. The only way your going to learn the specifics and gain knowledge on these specs. Is a comparison of reading material, other Blogs, Reveals, After market source. So Again Get off this blog (but come back), do your research. I guarantee it will be more valuable than readers here telling you briefly what you may need to know. Also I only remember this subject matter, and me saying specifically get of this blog. Sorry if you were offended. Not my intent.

Email and blogs are not the best source for reading other peoples interpretations of words, verbiage, or grammar as worded dialog. It subjective on what was meant, stated or in the true meaning of a remark or statement at the time.
Jim thanks for replying and your email as well. I agree that sometimes the true intent of a message can be lost through text.

Without getting too much into any personal details I was in a very bad mood yesterday and wasn't having the best day so I might have been a bit quick to react and more likely to take the post the wrong way. I apologize for the confusion on my end and hope there are no hard feelings.

borant

Reaction score
I got my Limited with Off-Road package and Air Suspension is not limited to 4 steps like Rebel's. It is the same 5-step as standard. Aero mode seems higher than standard Normal.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got my Limited with Off-Road package and Air Suspension is not limited to 4 steps like Rebel's. It is the same 5-step as standard. Aero mode seems higher than standard Normal.

Sweet! Could you measure your running boards to the ground height in Normal and Entry/Exit mode? FireCadet posted pics of his and I believe they were 10" and 8" respectively.
I'm asking as I'm still unclear on if an air suspension model gets a physical lift with the OR Package or not. I'm trying to figure out if the air suspension is the only lift (meaning a normal Limited and a Limited with OR Package are the same height in normal mode) or if they get a 1" lift in all modes. Make sense?

borant

Reaction score
ORP build sheet states "Raised Ride Height". If someone can measure rim to fender with standard air suspension then I can take the same with OR. I don't think running board to ground is accurate comparison.

Last edited:

1Raider

Reaction score
Sweet! Could you measure your running boards to the ground height in Normal and Entry/Exit mode? FireCadet posted pics of his and I believe they were 10" and 8" respectively.
I'm asking as I'm still unclear on if an air suspension model gets a physical lift with the OR Package or not. I'm trying to figure out if the air suspension is the only lift (meaning a normal Limited and a Limited with OR Package are the same height in normal mode) or if they get a 1" lift in all modes. Make sense?

I was wondering that as well Edwards.. I hope the Off Road pkg with the Air provides more lift than the standard Air trucks..

borant

Reaction score
I will take measurements tonight including height of shark fin antenna. One of garages where I park has height restriction of 78" and I need to know how my truck is different from official 77.5" height.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will take measurements tonight including height of shark fin antenna. One of garages where I park has height restriction of 78" and I need to know how my truck is different from official 77.5" height.
Thanks! I need to know the same.
FireCadet just measured from the ground to the top of the extended running board at entry/exit and normal heights. If those are taller than 8" & 10" then we'll know the OR Package height difference.

borant

Reaction score

Unfortunately I have to take it back. Last night when picked my truck I saw 5 levels on the switch but when tested today cluster shows message like selected mode not allowed.
I got confused by User Guide showing picture of Rebel switch with 4 levels, the switch is the same but highest level disabled.

Last edited:

borant

Reaction score
I just did measurements 3x times on each setting. Tire pressure was 39 front and 37 reat hot (cold set at 35 both)
Observations:
1. It seems like suspension sets each wheel with 1/4 inch variation each time, number below are average
2.. Shark fin height change is not exactly matching change at the wheels, probably due to #1

Normal mode 0 level:
Running board average - 11
Fin - 78 1/2 max - exactly +1" from specs
Front 20" rim to fender average- 12 1/2
Rear rim to fender average - 14 1/4

Aero -1 inch:
RB - 10
Fin - 78 max
Front - 11 1/2
Rear - 13 1/4

Off road +3/4 inch:
RB - 11 3/4
Fin - 79 3/4 max
Front - 13 1/4
Rear - 15

Exit -3 inches:
RB - 8
Fin - 76 max
Front - 8 1/2
Rear - 11 1/4

Last edited:

borant

Reaction score
My conclusion is that ORP raised height has no practical benefits. The range is about the same, Regular Aero is missing, regular Normal is Aero with ORP, regular OR1 is Normal with ORP.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So it looks like the air suspension models do get a 1" lift but that also means the website and brochure are wrong or extremely poorly worded at best. I'm also surprised that you only get the 4 position Rebel heights even on a Limited. That makes the owners manual wrong as well.

The next question is how do they add this 1" lift to an air suspension? Is it a bolt on or just a setting in the air suspension? My ultimate goal is to fit in the airport garage with no issues. You can see a lot of trucks have scraped their roof going under the concrete support and I do not plan to add paint/metal to what's there.

borant

Reaction score
Since lowest and highest setting heights remain the same I suspect that this is just software setting.

I have another open confusion - according to cluster indication truck stays in Aero mode without reaching 60 mph or whatever threshold described in the manual.
I'm scratching my head how can I test it, is it really stays like that during driving or just wrong indication.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks! We need a service tech I guess who can get into the settings. It would be great to know how to set this back to non-OR package mode on Longhorns and Limiteds and I suspect there are others who would like to get the 1" lift on these models with just a software setting.
Seems like a good candidate for an end-user exposed menu setting. If engineering signed off on a 1" lift through the air suspension, why not make it available to everyone to enable/disable? It really doesn't devalue the OR package since it's just a setting.

borant

Reaction score
I compared my numbers with user guide, it seems ORP behaviour is matching to description in Rebel section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online