5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure wish I knew somebody with the Wi-Tech software so I could get the VIN changed in this PCM I've got. It's a new PCM with GDE tune already installed just sitting in a box on a shelf in the garage. Fits Ram and Jeep. I could make somebody a great deal on it, and then you'd immediately have a tuned PCM and a stock PCM both. But that dang VIN would need to be changed....
If I thought it'd work, I'd take out a sharpie and make my truck's VIN match the PCM. ;)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just got done talking to GDE and I was told the ‘22 PCM is different than the earlier years, which is why they don’t have the ‘22 tune available yet. @WXman what year did yours come off of?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just got done talking to GDE and I was told the ‘22 PCM is different than the earlier years, which is why they don’t have the ‘22 tune available yet. @WXman what year did yours come off of?

Mine is from summer of 2021. The spare PCM I bought was manufactured September '21 to be specific.

Interesting about the '22. I wonder what they changed and more importantly, why?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is from summer of 2021. The spare PCM I bought was manufactured September '21 to be specific.

Interesting about the '22. I wonder what they changed and more importantly, why?
After researching, I don’t know what he’s talking about unless there’s some extra data other than VIN that would require wiping the PCM to overwrite the old config. When I searched the PCM on mopar parts, it’s the same for 2019-2022 ecodiesels. It is nice that the PCM is not $1k though.

His recommendation to me was also to wait a year or two before getting a tune. Two years in mod-land is like 10 years in real life. I’ve bought 2 trucks in a span of 4 months- not sure I can put off scratching the itch for that long.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I suspect they couldn't get the right Chips to build the standard one.

Malodave

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I suspect they couldn't get the right Chips to build the standard one.

Malodave
Wait until they start using vacuum tubes…to heck with that new car smell as the glow and the “aroma” of vacuum tubes will be priceless.

Rhombus

Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, the GDE mail in process DOES work. I came in from a flight Monday PM. Pulled the PCM and took it to UPS about 5:30. It arrived at GDE yesterday, and I received it back today. I don’t have the tranny tune file back yet, because it was in the UPS truck “out for delivery” for 9 hours. Confident I’ll have the tune file back tomorrow. But that process is easy as well. the instructions are spot on.

These guys over communicate, which is awesome. My third time dealing with them, going back to my diesel Jeep Libby. I’ll put some miles on it this weekend and leave feedback .

Enigma4078

Reaction score
Mailed mine earlier this week. Says it was delivered today. Looking forward to getting it back 😁

jeeg78

Reaction score
Just about purchased it but at the last moment called to make sure the tune would be the same for the '22 as the other 3rd gens - which it obviously is not. Was very much looking forward to getting this again as I've used GDE in my last couple eco's but looks like the wait continues. Bummer for sure as I put on over 8k miles every winter pulling an enclosed sled trailer out west from MN, would've been great to have this yr.

Rhombus

Reaction score
So GDE sent me my tranny tune about 9:00 last night. Quick install. Which was good, as I was supposed to fly from Austin to OKC today, but the flight was cancelled. So I was able to hop in the truck and go……

observations after 400 miles

- I see the tranny TC lockups when the tranny is cold. Different, but not an issue to me. It was 24 when I left my office here tonight
- when warmed, shifts are firmer than before. I like this
- turbo lag is gone, and the truck is just flat responsive
- I played with shifting from the steering wheel buttons. Works fine
- saw the regen message today
- not sure about DEF consumption yet
- no CEL’s of any kind

Again, the truck just flat drives great. I personally love it. As for MPG. I switched from Cooper ATP 275/60/20’s to Cooper AT3 XLT 275/60/20’s. This is an E rated tire and heavy. I had less than 100 miles on these tires before today. And I drove into HEAVY North wind all the way OKC. Guessing at least 20 MPH the whole trip, right in the face. Mileage was terrible. But with the tires and the wind, no way I can blame it on the tune. And yes, I WAS driving ~ 77 MPH most of the trip. Anxious to put the travel trailer on it soon.

Again, I’m quite pleased. And GDE ids great to work with.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just about purchased it but at the last moment called to make sure the tune would be the same for the '22 as the other 3rd gens - which it obviously is not. Was very much looking forward to getting this again as I've used GDE in my last couple eco's but looks like the wait continues. Bummer for sure as I put on over 8k miles every winter pulling an enclosed sled trailer out west from MN, would've been great to have this yr.
It makes one wonder what the difference is between the 2021 and 2022 Ecodiesel…different programming introduced by FCA/Stellantis? More barriers to installing a tune? Some way that UConnect 5 notifies FCA that the system has been tampered?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It makes one wonder what the difference is between the 2021 and 2022 Ecodiesel…different programming introduced by FCA/Stellantis? More barriers to installing a tune? Some way that UConnect 5 notifies FCA that the system has been tampered?
I know my opinion isn’t official, but after researching, there is no difference. I’m wondering if the reason GDE says they are not interchangeable is because if you have to flash the data that fits the truck, and it probably overrides the tune. I should’ve asked GDE that the last time I was on the phone with them.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't installed it yet. I am putting it on the flasher this morning. Probably
try to install it Saturday when it is light out and not snowing.

Malodave

This is from GDE's Email:

The updates to the transmission tune are as follows:

• Introduction of new shift maps with 4HI/4Auto engaged (on DT)
    • Modification of same shift maps on JL/JT
  • Refinement to cold engine shift offsets
  • Eliminate occasional lack of upshift when exhaust fast-heat strategy is active
  • Torque converter interaction in 1st gear at slow speeds

Last edited:

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trans tune update:

updates to the transmission tune are as follows:

• Improvement for shifting in real altitude condition versus active regen or exhaust fast-heat modes
  • Cruise shift maps back stock (prevent unwanted gear hunting)
  • Eliminate occasional lack of upshift when exhaust fast-heat strategy is active

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Trans tune update:

updates to the transmission tune are as follows:

• Improvement for shifting in real altitude condition versus active regen or exhaust fast-heat modes
  • Cruise shift maps back stock (prevent unwanted gear hunting)
Would you say this could solve the issues you had before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online