5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't installed it yet. I am putting it on the flasher this morning. Probably
try to install it Saturday when it is light out and not snowing.

Malodave

This is from GDE's Email:

The updates to the transmission tune are as follows:

• Introduction of new shift maps with 4HI/4Auto engaged (on DT)
    • Modification of same shift maps on JL/JT
  • Refinement to cold engine shift offsets
  • Eliminate occasional lack of upshift when exhaust fast-heat strategy is active
  • Torque converter interaction in 1st gear at slow speeds
Nice..glad they tweaked it. Sounds like this could fix the issues.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, the tweaks sound like they've really moved towards a good solution.

Waiting for the user reviews. ;)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, if it solves the issues, after my first oil change I’ll be buying a spare PCM and getting a tune.

maybe somebody can explain this to me- when I talked to GDE, he told me that the dealer cannot detect that the truck has been tuned unless somebody knows what value a particular PID is supposed to be outputting and they’re seeing something much different. This threw up a BS flag to me, but I’m not sure if it’s true. Has anyone else been told that or have any input on why he would have said that?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Would you say this could solve the issues you had before?

I guess we'll never know because I got rid of the truck.

It's too bad I don't have the Wi-Tech software so I can change the VIN in my tuned PCM and resell it to somebody else.

Daverous

Reaction score
Quick update on the trans revision. Appears to shift a little sooner on warm up. I'll also confirm it is a little smoother than version 1 during warm up. It's hard to put into perspective via a video, but it's noticeable in the few miles I've put on. I'll run it some more this week and report back. I'm excited to see the 1st gear lock up reduction since that bugged me in traffic jams.
I'm not running these in a controlled lab type scenario, but here is the same route as the first video with a lower ambient temperature. By the time the temperature dropped and the snow cleared the transmission revision was out, so a second video of version 1 trans tuning seems like a waste of time. I'm assuming the original will no longer be offered. I can reflash and create the video if there's interest in how v1 performs in lower temps. Excuse the peanut gallary in the background, she really wanted to go with!

BNJMN

Reaction score
What aftermarket gauge is that and what does it display that the stock gauge doesn't? I'm impatiently waiting for my 2022 ecodeisel.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, if it solves the issues, after my first oil change I’ll be buying a spare PCM and getting a tune.

maybe somebody can explain this to me- when I talked to GDE, he told me that the dealer cannot detect that the truck has been tuned unless somebody knows what value a particular PID is supposed to be outputting and they’re seeing something much different. This threw up a BS flag to me, but I’m not sure if it’s true. Has anyone else been told that or have any input on why he would have said that?
They are faking the emissions monitors. A dealer with a scanner would 100% be able to detect it as there would be a version, checksum and flash increment counters.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are faking the emissions monitors. A dealer with a scanner would 100% be able to detect it as there would be a version, checksum and flash increment counters.
That’s what I’m thinking also.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Isn't the GDE tune EPA certified though?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

They haven’t got a certification for it yet.

Daverous

Reaction score
Perhaps not for 22 years, but their current tune that is for sale is 100% epa certified.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps not for 22 years, but their current tune that is for sale is 100% epa certified.
That’s not what the guy said when I talked to him over the phone, but everybody’s free to believe what they want.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s not what the guy said when I talked to him over the phone, but everybody’s free to believe what they want.
I had to do a search to find this on their website but also found it odd they state "First, our products are legal on all US roads governed by the EPA." however they also have a section on the CARB for California indicating "not legal for street use unless a CARB Executive Order" is issued...so their website is confusing.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had to do a search to find this on their website but also found it odd they state "First, our products are legal on all US roads governed by the EPA." however they also have a section on the CARB for California indicating "not legal for street use unless a CARB Executive Order" is issued...so their website is confusing.

Haha, that seems about right- clear as mud.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Easy way to check would be to pull the battery or a sensor and see if it trips the readiness codes or not.

Daverous

Reaction score
Carb is California specific and an entirely different animal. Epa approved is epa approved. Carb is its own, very expensive to apply for process, and only applies to California.

Rhombus

Reaction score
Quick update on the trans revision. Appears to shift a little sooner on warm up. I'll also confirm it is a little smoother than version 1 during warm up. It's hard to put into perspective via a video, but it's noticeable in the few miles I've put on. I'll run it some more this week and report back. I'm excited to see the 1st gear lock up reduction since that bugged me in traffic jams.
I'm not running these in a controlled lab type scenario, but here is the same route as the first video with a lower ambient temperature. By the time the temperature dropped and the snow cleared the transmission revision was out, so a second video of version 1 trans tuning seems like a waste of time. I'm assuming the original will no longer be offered. I can reflash and create the video if there's interest in how v1 performs in lower temps. Excuse the peanut gallary in the background, she really wanted to go with!
This is consistent with what I’m seeing.

Reactions: c3k

pnw_rcutv

Reaction score
They are EPA certified and aren't allowed to resale unless they are by my understanding. They dont want to risk yet another high dollar settlement. They have a whole section on their website dedicated to explaining this. They aren't CARB approved (yet), that is a whole different beast and as mentioned only applies to the sun burnt CA folks they live in Priusville.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can anybody who has got a GDE tune tell me if the on demand shift buttons are solely through the trans tune or if I have to purchase the engine tune also?

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can anybody who has got a GDE tune tell me if the on demand shift buttons are solely through the trans tune or if I have to purchase the engine tune also?

Right now They are both a complete Package with the Trans Tuner Flash Device thrown in.

Malodave

Users who are viewing this thread