5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News on a tune?

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there any news on any kind of tune being available for the new ED?

Is GDE going to have something? I saw a post at some point that implied that GDE is NOT going to have one, but I hope that is wrong.

Does anyone else do tunes for the new ED?

I don't have an ED - yet. But, my plan is to keep my '19 for another year or two, then trade it in for a new truck with an ED. But, if there are no tunes available for it, I will have to think a little harder on that. Of course, I have not driven a new ED yet. Maybe when I do, I will like it enough to not care about a tune. But, having owned several diesel trucks in the past, I'm skeptical. However good it is, I'm sure a good tune could make it nicer to drive and get better mileage...

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I just picked up my 2020 bighorn ED and yet to find anything on tuning it, I sure something comes out soon, that and a new exhaust.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Follow-up: I messaged GDE on FB a couple of weeks ago (I was offline for a while after that). This is what they said:

We just got our 2020 Ram yesterday. We will have tuning ready for it within 18 months. Thanks GDE

Roaminglost

Reaction score
Sofa King Tune finished their tune. Waiting on more info.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
That's good news.
I wonder if they will be able to delete?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GDE said they won't delete, but they will improve driveability and reduce soot through better calibration. I'm confident that their tune won't be released until it's top notch reliable.

On the flip side, Sofa King (who I have zero experience with) says they have a tune ready after just 2 months, when FCA spent 30 months getting it right and GDE says it'll take them 18. So think what you will of that.....

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance, but delete what?

As for the time, FCA took 30 months, but they had a heckuva lot more variables to juggle.

2 months may be on the quick side, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how it could really take 18 months to work out a good tune.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for my ignorance, but delete what?

As for the time, FCA took 30 months, but they had a heckuva lot more variables to juggle.

2 months may be on the quick side, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how it could really take 18 months to work out a good tune.

GDE won't make a tune that allows deleting EGR. Their stuff will be legal in the U.S. from now on.

I assume it takes a long time to do proper field calibration and ensure that a tune will be safe to use long term.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
GDE won't make a tune that allows deleting EGR. Their stuff will be legal in the U.S. from now on.

Ah. EGR delete. Got it. Thanks.

And, well.... if it changes the fueling and doesn't have EPA testing and approval, it won't be legal in the U.S. even with an EGR....

Reactions: raj

HST

Reaction score
Thats probably why it will take that long they will have to go though the testing . The only tunes i would run would be Banks or GDE so i will wait to see what they will release
in the future. Banks has always changed fueling in their tunes but they always have passed the EPA tests and get a number .

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
Thats probably why it will take that long they will have to go though the testing . The only tunes i would run would be Banks or GDE so i will wait to see what they will release
in the future. Banks has always changed fueling in their tunes but they always have passed the EPA tests and get a number .
Do you know if Banks plans on doing any tuning for our trucks?

HST

Reaction score
They have in the past . Right now they are getting ready to release their version of a pedal commander but i don't know if it will work with this diesel engine.
Release date is in April.

John Jensen

Reaction score
SFT tune allows you to order with EGR off (delete) or on. Their engine and tranny tunes come on a handheld device and their tunes are great. I believe they are currently on sale.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
SFT tune allows you to order with EGR off (delete) or on. Their engine and tranny tunes come on a handheld device and their tunes are great. I believe they are currently on sale.
Have you personally used their tunes before?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Have you personally used their tunes before?
I have the SFT ECU and TCU tunes on my 2016 Ecodiesel. Started out with the GDE tune, changed to SFT in June 2019. Very satisfied, great tunes and outstanding customer support. As far as I know, it is the only tune left in the USA that will turn off the EGR.

KNGSNK11

Reaction score
I checked their website, but it says they tune trucks up till 2019, do they offer engine and trans tunes for the 2020 yet?

John Jensen

Reaction score
I checked their website, but it says they tune trucks up till 2019, do they offer engine and trans tunes for the 2020 yet?
You need to ask them that question. Could be they haven't updated their web site. However, I would think a 2020 is the same as a 2019.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to ask them that question. Could be they haven't updated their web site. However, I would think a 2020 is the same as a 2019.

This is the EcoDiesel subforum, right? So, we're talking about tunes for a diesel. If their site says trucks up til 2019, they're probably talking about the Gen 2 EcoDiesel. Up til 2019 probably just means it includes Ram 1500 Classic models with an EcoDiesel (if such a thing was even made - I can't remember).

A 2020 is a Gen 3, so I wouldn't count on them having a tune for that yet.

oldsouth

Reaction score
Celtic Tuning has a deleted tune for the Generation 3 EcoDiesel. Has anyone used their tunes in the past? Where could someone find a DPF delete pipe for the 2020?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online